New Developments in Galway City

Re: New Developments in Galway City

Postby THE_Chris » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:26 pm

At least part of it HAS to be M, as it will lead inescapably to the M6. That part of the M6 will probobly be M, as its being financed by a private company and M looks better than N, just like the Fermoy bypass.
THE_Chris

Postby Sulmac » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:33 pm

Found some information on the Docklands presentation last Tuesday:

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/forum-reiterates-need-for-docks-integration/

:cool:

edit:
The council are going to develop a "cultural hub" around the Lower Merchants Road area, already purchasing buildings for it!

http://www.galwaycity.ie/TopNews/MainBody,4367,en.html
Sulmac

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Its fantastic news actually that its M17 and not N17. :D
THE_Chris

Postby vkid » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:28 pm

BTH wrote:I don't know about the practicalities of the place but in my opinion it has to qualify as possibly the ugliest, most unwelcoming developments of it's type that I've ever seen. A collection of bog standard silver boxes would be more visually pleasing than what we've ended up with. And the worst thing is that it's obvious a huge amount of design, fine detailing and expense has been gone to to make it. I really think the black stained timber was a huge mistake and the signage is perhaps the tackiest i've ever seen - the huge yellow BRIARHILL is truly vile - even the typeface is awful.
Anyway rant over - I do appreciate that a lot of architectural thought and effort has gone into the building but the end result to my eyes is a bit of a disaster...

Actually got to see this devlopment the other day and would agree with all of the above. It is pretty hideous in fairness.
vkid

Postby Sulmac » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Sulmac

Postby Derrick Galway » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:18 pm

All references to developments at Galway's Docks and at Ceannt Station, look like they are on hold pending a decision from ABP on the enlargement of new bus mainatenance garage at the Harbour Enterprise Park. This would have been the first stage in the development of Ceannt Station. But this is now unlikely, because of an exclusion zone around the new oil terminal currently under construction.

The Buncefield explosion in the UK has put any development at the City Docks, and, Ceannt Station on hold until the publication of the final Buncefield Report. Probably summer this year.

Also. Despite looking for a Framework Plan/Masterplan for this area for years, still none in place. Also no City Architect. Therefore, any coordinated city development unlikely. Just ad-hoc development as before, and still no transport infrastructure.

What more can we expect.
Derrick Galway

Postby Sulmac » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:29 am

You'd think they'd have the cop on to move those oil tankers... :rolleyes:

Anywho, did anyone see the proposal for the €300mn concert hall?

Found a good link on the City Council's website:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/CommunityEnterprise/Publications/FileEnglish,4505,en.pdf

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/MainBody,4231,en.html

Very ambitious proposal, I think.... lets hope they get the funding. ;)

The bit that made me laugh, though, was that they hoped for it to be finished by 2010! They forget that this is Ireland, obviously. :p

The other two projects are also needed, especially the double-tracking of the railway for commuter services.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/node/2907

The new "cultural quarter" seems to be getting along smoothly too. :cool:
Sulmac

Postby BTH » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Who's bright idea was it to get Anthony Reddy's to do the concert hall design design.... It's an absolute and utter shocker - just what Galway dosen't need - something fussy, flashy and "Iconic" parachuted in. This beautiful site needs something more subtle and controlled - the location is spectacular enough. If this ambitious scheme (which is badly badly needed for the city) is to go ahead then an international design competition would have to be a part of it - and hopefully someone who has some sort of understading and feeling for the city will actually win it...

The other two schemes are also needed badly, but they will happen eventually as the city develops. Ardaun is a great opportunity and double lines as far as Athenry are going to be absolutely essential - especially when the western rail corridor eventually opens up. i just hope that Galway gets the funding for the concert hall as it's definitely fallen well behind other parts of the country in terms of facilities. With a proper concert hall, an art gallery, art house cinema and a new theatre and venue to replace the pleasant but rather inadequate Town Hall, Galway could really sell itself as a cultural destination all year round, not just during festival time. Thankfully there finally seems to be a move on to actually provide this arts infrastructure that is so badly needed.
BTH

Postby BTH » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Heres a few images of the concert hall proposal - I realize that they were probably fairly rushed (as these feasability/proposal things tend to be). I just personally think the design approach is all wrong for the site... Having the main entrance and foyers tucked in towards the cathedral is only one mistake I could identify. The main approach from the city needs to be along the river. Anyway, see what you think...
BTH

Postby BTH » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:29 pm

At last, the possibility of a genuinely exciting building for Galway. Fair play to the City council - Here's their proposal for a new arthouse cinema close to the City Museum. Designed by Tom dePaor, the scheme is currently on public display in City Hall. Personally I think it's a beauty. Exactly what I meant above when I was talking about architects havein a feel for a place. The "tower house" idiom works so well in this context and the interiors, with all those cascading staircases, would be fantastically exciting.... Sorry images are a bit huge!

Image Image Image

The top floor auditorium looks particularly fantastic. I have one misgiving - and it's the location. Right on the edge of the busiest through road in Galway City. If they really want this area to become a vibrant cultural quarter as the council are pushing, this road will need to be severely calmed and a good landscaping scheme put in place. At the moment cars either whizz past here at high speed or sit stuck in interminable traffic jams. Not really the most pleasant or relaxing environment to go for a cultural experience... Still, loving the design. Looks like dePaor is finally breaking through to the bigger stage...
BTH

Postby BTH » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 pm

One other proposal I spotted whilst in the planning office for nearby (top of Flood St. just off the site model above). Its for a site currently being excavated. I believe it's offices and retail although there was talk in the past of a "Vicar St." style venue at this location. Looks to be a bit more slick than the usual Galway Developer dross. It was refused in favour of an earlier more standard proposal but is being appealed to ABP - I hope it gets passed.
Forgive the poor image quality - photographed from a computer screen...

Designers: Sean Dockry & Assoc.
3d's: ProViz
BTH

Postby justnotbothered » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 am

Wow, both those designs are hideous. What is going on in Galway, they're ruining the city centre.
justnotbothered

Postby BTH » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 am

Obviously not everyone's tastes are the same ;-)

Both these schemes are outside the main historic core of the city centre in somewhat run-down, marginal areas. I personally think that both, particularly the cinema (which I know is probably a bit too avant-garde for many of more conservative tastes) will be very positive contributions to their locations.
BTH

Postby CologneMike » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 pm

The Arthouse building looks quite well and compact in size. Ideally if they could acquire the corner premises and convert it into a mini plaza which could be used in the summer months as an outdoor café. The location of the Arthouse in this part of the city centre is perfect.

The image of the glass office building is indeed somewhat blurred. I personally like glass front buildings as it would mirror the rapid changing Galway bay sky. However an office building in this part of the town could be out of character with rest of the other cultural amenities in it’s vicinity?

The location of the concert hall alongside the cathedral would totally detract from it. I wonder what is the general reaction to it’s location in Galway?

I took a stroll along the Corrib river / Salmon weir last summer and they carrying out a lot of work on the weir itself. Apart from the concert hall proposal what has the city council planned for Nun’s island area?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:23 pm

The cinema is an interesting take on the tower-house and it would read very well as a sculptural shape; the actual cinema theatres seem very small capacity, but perhaps I'm just used to bigger volumes in the big smoke.
The office building - glass-fronted; how original - ho,hum. (What'll happen when it all falls off in another generation?)
johnglas

Postby BTH » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:39 pm

CologneMike,
Not sure if you mean the little vernacular building on the corner in front of the newbuild in the image you've reproduced - It's actually part of the scheme and houses the box office and admin for the Cinema. From the plans it looks like you can enter the scheme from either the main road side (up the ramp) or through the old carriage arch into a tiny courtyard between old and new where there's a choice of entering directly to the cinema foyer or up an external staircase directly into the bar area (charmingly named "sitting room" in the plans!). One unfortunate element of the scheme is that the big picture window overlooking the main road at first floor levels just misses catching a view between the city museum and the buildings across the road towards the Claddagh - instead it'll be staring directly at a particularly nasty apartment block.

The new office builfing is fairly suited to its location as Merchant's Road is all large scale office blocks creating a bit of a canyon of a street. I really do think that the ground floor and basement (if there is one) would be a great spot for a bar/venue that might compliment the emerging cultural quarter. It's down as retail in the plans but i can't really imagine people coming to shop here so far from the main core of Shop St / High St. As for it being glass fronted johnglas, not sure how familiar you are with Galway but the fact that it's not some lumpen, punched-windowed post modern nightmare comes as a bit of a relief! Some decent quality well executed corporate style design wouldnt do this particular location any harm at all!

To be honest I wouldnt be too worried about anything detracting from the Cathedral in Galway, it's already enough of a monstrosity! I do however think that whatever goes on the Fisheries Field should be a little lower key and be more connected to it's site than an "object" iconic building. Nuns Island is the great forgotten area of Galway. its got lovely character in places but some utterly revolting new developments either in planning or completed. Its an exciting area, a lot of sites are either about to be released or are coming up for decision on. The Bish school wish to move out of town, the NUIG engineering school is relocating from it's agglomeration of old industrial buildings to the main campus, the cathedral carpark has huge potential. The whole area could be transformed with a bit of forward thinking - my personal vision would be to make it the cultural core of the city (somewhat at odds with what's happening at Flood St), to create better linkage back to the Shop St area via a footbridge and thus create a whole new route from shop st, via nun's island to the cathedral, university and on to the hospital. Sort of an "institutional spine". It's the thing about Galway that sometimes frustrates me - so much potential, so little vision...
BTH

Postby johnglas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:22 am

BTH: thanks for the comment; good local knowledge always outweighs armchair critique. Is the Bish school the one near St Nicholas's (a spectacularly ugly lump, I recall - the school that is)? If it is its removal would allow for a building less alien to the (medieval?) street pattern and allow for a good modern infill.
Why isn't the carpark behind (in front of?) the Cathedral developed? The parking could go underground and you could create a 'cathedral close' and get some sense of enclosure round the bldg. The Cathedral is a bit of a fright, but is now old enough to be a part of the landscape and you would never think of knocking it, but the landscaping needs rethought and I seem to remember that the interior has been messed about a bit, and not for the better.
johnglas

Postby CologneMike » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 pm

BTH wrote:Not sure if you mean the little vernacular building on the corner in front of the new build in the image you've reproduced - It's actually part of the scheme and houses the box office and admin for the Cinema. From the plans it looks like you can enter the scheme from either the main road side (up the ramp) or through the old carriage arch into a tiny courtyard between old and new where there's a choice of entering directly to the cinema foyer or up an external staircase directly into the bar area (charmingly named "sitting room" in the plans!).

Yes I was indeed referring to the small corner building with the old carriage arch. Looks like as if the corner building had to be retained to keep the same height with the rest of Flood Street? But do the two building types complement to each other?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby BTH » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Well really it's being retained because it's very old and because it's part of the little fragment of streetscape that is Flood St. It's not because of any inherent architectural quality - although it is a very simple, unadorned, elemental structure just like the new tower rising behind. In a way it reminds me of the group of buildings housing The Kings Head pub on High street. There a very simple vernacular street frontage conceals the significant remains of a massive tower house which was buried within the city block. This image of Speeds Pictoral Map of Galway 1651 taken from the King's Head Website has the structure I mean highlighted.

In a way the proposed cinema is a bit like as if the new main road has exposed the face of one of these old mid-block tower houses. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it...!

Johnglas, the Bish is the monstrosity that you come upon as you follow the one way system from the cathedral carpark, between the big old engineering buildings onto Nun's island proper. There is another rather more elegant modern building facing the cathedral which is also a part of the Engineering department. I'd love to see the Cathedral carpark become something more urban - you could imagine an almost Florentine experience, wandering through narrow streets with little glimpses of the massive dome looming overhead. Ive heard that there could be issues as the ground was possibly used to bury prisoners from the Gaol which previously occupied the site. Surely though something could be done that could respect this as well as developing the places potential.
BTH

Postby BTH » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 am

Nuns Island / Cathedral carpark

Here's a few pics of the area we're discussing -
1: Looking towards Nuns Island from Cathedral carpark - NUIG Engineering Department and County Library visible

2: Back through carpark to uninspiring "backside" of Cathedral

3: From Nuns Island towards Cathedral - reasonably elegant 1960s engineering building on right

4: Nuns Island with Bish school on left and old Bish on right.

It's a very interesting area - lots of potential.
BTH

Postby johnglas » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:45 pm

When is Galway going to get rid of that terrible wirescape, or do people just not notice?
johnglas

Postby Seanselon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 am

Just thought I'd post this recent picture of Wolfe Tone Bridge area of Galway for comment.
Attachments
galway-flood-3.jpg
galway-flood-3.jpg (138.66 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
Seanselon

Postby vkid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:53 pm

You probably posted the most flattering view of that newish development on the left. The other side is horrendous with all that green cladding tacked on. it is quite possibly one of the worst devlopments in Galway imo. I lived in the devlopment on the far right with the stone cladding up until last year
That little tower/museum thing also hides some of the most awful apartments you will ever see (possibly 1960's/1970's) in the middle of that block.

Just my opinion though!
vkid

Postby BTH » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:40 am

Wow, that must have been a seriously high tide! Was that taken at the weekend? I was out of the country... I've been living here six years and never seen the claddagh basin and the river "joined" like that...

As for that building with the tokenistic use of copper in the background.... To call it hideous is to be charitable. It's an awful clumsy composition from all angles but when you get up close it'ss possibly the worst detailed modern building in Galway. That whole stretch of riverside could be very interesting but unfortunatly the ball has been dropped badly... Lack of vision yet again.
BTH

Postby cgcsb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm

are there any high rises planned for Galway? I read that Iarnrod eireann plan to double track the Galway line. Too bad that the Western railcorridor will be single track and a section of the line South of Ennis floods constantly, which will lead to a very unreliable service. I can't tell from their website if they intend for passengers to change at Athenry or have a direct Galway-Limerick service. Anyone any ideas? Either way, double tracking from Athenry to Galway is well needed as that line will be handeling intercity trains from Dublin and Limerick/Waterford as well as Athenry commuter service
cgcsb

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland