Stirling & GowanÂ’s Leicester University engineering laboratory could be demolished

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Stirling & Gowan’s Leicester University engineering laboratory could be demolished

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Another of the country’s most significant modernist buildings, Stirling & Gowan’s Leicester University engineering laboratory, could be partially demolished, the university signalled this week.

The grade II* listed building, described as “quite exceptional” by Kenneth Frampton, is the subject of an open-ended feasibility study, with the main tower set to be left unchanged while options for the workshop and south block range from demolition to adding extra storeys.

A shortlist of five architects has been drawn up, which BD has learnt includes John McAslan & Partners.

The university said the building was not energy-efficient, included asbestos insulation, and suffered from the deterioration of alloy glazing bars.

Senior building surveyor at the university Jim Whait said: “You have to consider where the university stands. Finding [£6-8.5 million] for this refurbishment is a hell of a lot when we’re struggling to maintain all our estate.”

A heritage source criticised the university, claiming the building could be “radically affected. This is possibly the most important post-war listed building in the country,” he said.

“The university knows it is listed but has no idea why, and considers its listed status an impediment to its future development plans.”

McAslan defended the open-ended brief: “Inevitably, certain options will be considered more seriously, but you can’t eliminate any before you do the work.”
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Stirling & Gowan’s Leicester University engineering laboratory could be demolishe

Postby Blisterman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 pm

It's an ugly building, to be honest, and I believe it's a horrible building to work in too.

Don't see much reason for keeping it.
Blisterman

Re: Stirling & Gowan’s Leicester University engineering laboratory could be demolishe

Postby what? » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Dont be bloody ridiculous.
what?

Postby BTH » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:59 pm

If this building gets demolished or seriously changed by refurbishment, my faith in humanity will be severely shaken...

Definitely one of my favourites, one of the buildings that made me want to be an architect when I saw images and read the story of it's construction in Jim Stirling's biography. Still hugely impressive in the flesh though obviously unloved by the university. At least If McAslan is involved there will be a bit of sensitivity in what they do.

Love it!
BTH

Postby PTB » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:43 pm

That is fantastic.
PTB

Return to World Architecture