university of limerick

Re: university of limerick

Postby vkid » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 pm

Another video , this time the Living Bridge
vkid

Postby corcaighboy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:28 am

Nice bridge, although given its length, I would have thought they would have provided enough space for a cycle lane while they were at it.
corcaighboy

Postby vkid » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:30 am

i think cyclists are pretty well taken care of in that regards all around the campus. A cycle lane along this bridge would ruin it imo
vkid

Postby Tuborg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:57 pm

Indeed, the vehicular bridge as its called has cycle lanes while the new bridge is solely for pedestrian use!

"Architecturally, the bridge cross section was developed from the concept of a ‘salmon fish tail’ protruding from the surface of the flowing river. The design of this 150m-crossing is achieved in five spans. The bridge has separate vehicular and pedestrian and cycle decks and was constructed at a cost of €13 million."

UL Vehicular Bridge

Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:32 pm

Pedestrian Living Bridge

Nice promotional clip, gives one a good insight into it’s overall length. Talking to one of the chaps working on the bridge, they intend to be finished by September.

In the meantime I found a really cool clip of the recent assembly of the bridge see link :cool:

The first image below is at the Health Science Building (Clare side) and the second is from the Millstream Courtyard (Limerick side).
Attachments
PBL1.JPG
PBL1.JPG (229.08 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
PBL2.JPG
PBL2.JPG (130.17 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 pm

Architectural Concept - Pedestrian Living Bridge

The load-bearing structure of the bridge is located below the level of the bridge deck. The structure does not disrupt the treeline or try to civilise the natural domain. The bridge is carefully integrated into the landscape and does not form a trajectory that is thrust through it. The experience for the bridge user is therefore not about reaching a destination on the other side of the river but is an enjoyable social interaction with nature.

Because of the dense and mature planting on the riverbanks and islands, it is difficult to gain a vantage point whereby the whole of the crossing can be viewed at once. Each of the six spans can be appreciated as a discrete crossing in its own right, forming a composition in the landscape that has human scale and that is more visually balanced than a larger span that can only be viewed in increments. The six spans are visually articulated as a series of individual leaps from pier to pier. This arrangement is expressive of the manner in which the bridge spans from island to island, and is evocative of a stone skimming across the water.

The curved route and multiple spans serve to fragment the crossing psychologically as well as visually. The bridge is experienced by the pedestrian not as a man-made intervention that has been thrust across the water, but is carefully and sensitively integrated into this unique site.

As described earlier, the bridge is formed from a string of cable-trusses, with high-tensile steel cables supporting the bridge deck from beneath via a series of steel compression members. These compression elements extend above the bridge deck to provide support to the handrail.

The geometric combination of the under-slung cables and constant inclination of compression members connecting cables and deck provides for a width of deck and distance between parapets that constantly changes along the length of each span. In this way, the edges of the structure appear to gently undulate. This causes the handrail, truss cables and bridge deck to meander gracefully as they traverse the water, imparting a sense of effortless fluidity to the bridge.

Between individual spans, the bridge is supported from sculpted steel piers. The bridge deck is widened at these locations so that natural "node" points are created. Seating and shelter is provided at the node points to provide shelter, and to encourage their use as stopping points and to enhance an appreciation of the natural environment of the crossing.

In summary, the proposed cable truss design is considered to be appropriate to the site for the following reasons:

• The bridge is at low level, and "tip-toes" across the river to maintain the distinctive environment.
• The bridge is integrated into the natural environment and is not thrust across it.
• The use of multiple spans and curving route, break-down the scale of the crossing and enhance its' visual and physical integration into the site.
• The cable-truss is utilized as a structural device to minimize visual impact of the bridge itself.
• The refuges located at the node points will encourage social interaction.

See link Shannon Images UL Bridge
Attachments
drawing_1-967x692.jpg
drawing_1-967x692.jpg (169.34 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:36 pm

Boathouse

It seems the boathouse is now completed, any up to date images of the finished product about?

See also previous post
Attachments
Mr_David_Mahedy_looks_at_demo_sized.jpg
Mr_David_Mahedy_looks_at_demo_sized.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
boathouse2.jpg
boathouse2.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Goofy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 am

The Living Bridge is nearing completion. They were testing the lighting the other night so i took a few pics with my camera phone, sorry for the quality.

1. Looking out on to the bridge from the Milstream Courtyard end of the bridge

2. A side on view from the green behind the Millstream Courtyard complex

The view from the front of the white house, looking out across the river was class. But my camera isnt good enough to take pics from that far.
Goofy

Postby vkid » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:25 pm

A better image here..http://www.flickr.com/photos/liveforphotos/2057876046/

And bock the robber's blog has some very nice shots of the bridge here

Very nice bridge for a stroll across the Shannon! Was out there last evening. Very impressive..sways a bit or feels like it does!
vkid

Postby CologneMike » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:26 pm

Mary Immaculate College gets another €24m for two new buildings

Limerick Leader

The physical transformation of Mary Immaculate College is set to continue into 2008, as funding worth €24m has been awarded to the college for the construction of two new buildings.
Dr Peadar Cremin, President of Mary Immaculate College, said he was delighted and relieved to hear that Minister for Education Mary Hanafin had finally given the project the go-ahead.

He said in recent years, the college has come through a period of extraordinary growth and development, with an increase in student numbers from 297 in 1991 to 2744 today.

"This growth has left the college with significant development challenges such as lack of physical space and sufficient resources as well as posing serious health and safety problems for the college," said Dr Cremin.

This new project will involve the construction of two new buildings to accommodate lecture theatres, teaching areas, seminar rooms and various laboratories together with offices and accommodation for Mary Immaculate College Students' Union and Student Services.

This development will also comprise of a 500-seat auditorium which will be used as the college's largest lecture theatre and an auditorium for drama and music.

The first phase of the three-phase masterplan for campus development came to fruition this February when a multi-purpose sports hall, Tailteann, was opened.

Dr Cremin said they are also anxious that funding is made available for Phase 2 and Phase 3 of this project. Work on the two new buildings will begin next month and is expected to be completed at the beginning of 2009.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Goofy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:00 pm

In the thread about stadiums in ireland justnotbothered mentioned UL are lookin to build a stadium!

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=74944&postcount=15

Has anybody else heard anything about this. There could be potential for a sub 10000 capacity at the university with UL Bohs (rugby) and the soccer team justnotbothered mentions playing there. Also the many under age tounaments that are played in UL that could use it. not to mention the various University teams.

Maybe limerick 37 could use it also
Goofy

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Views of Living Bridge

Also Gerry Horan has taken a few nice shots of the new “Living Bridge”. see image#1 image#2
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm

Kemmy Business School (Completed December 2007)

Anybody seen the finished building yet? How does it fit in with the Schumann building next door?
Attachments
ulkemmybusiness.jpg
ulkemmybusiness.jpg (111.35 KiB) Viewed 6085 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm

2008 UL Project News

The Languages Building
The development will have a floor area of 1400sqm, be 3 storeys high and will provide teaching and languages laboratory facilities and offices for languages staff, including a dedicated centre for "Ionad na Gaeilge". This buildings will complete the development of the Millstream Courtyard as it will shelter the courtyard from the prevailing westerlies. It is due to be completed in May 2008.

The Western Car Park
The westerm car park, located just west of the Robert Schuman Building, will provide a much needed 375 additional spaces. Similar to the southern car park, there will be daily charges for users, payment being made at the exit. This project is due for completion in March 2008.

The extension to the Glucksman Library and Information Services Building
A major extension to the Library Building is planned under a Public Private Partnership scheme. The project is being co-ordinated by the Department of Education and Science in collaboration with the Department of Finance. Commencement is targeted for September 2008 with completion by the end of 2010.

Irish Chamber Orchestra Hall
Located in Cappavilla Village this will be the dedicated home of the Irish Chamber Orchestra. The practice hall will serve as a function venue for the Cappavilla residents and the building will also incorporate a new shop/coffee bar for residents. This project is due for completion in April 2008.

Expansion to University Arena
This expansion will incorporate a new 25m x 10m pool with a 3m high diving platform and moveable floor, a small sports hall and a cardiovascular gymnasium and weight training area. Commencement of the expansion is targeted for April 2008, to be completed by July 2009.

Irish World Academy of Music & Dance
This development is at the detailed design stage. Commencement is targeted for June 2008, to be completed by November 2009.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:39 am

CologneMike wrote:Kemmy Business School (Completed December 2007)

Anybody seen the finished building yet? How does it fit in with the Schumann building next door?

This is actually one of the rare occasions where the finished product turns out almost exactly as its shown in the plans, its basically finished now with just the internal fit out left to do. Theres nothing spectacular about it to be honest, they seem to have used the left over materials from the likes of the millstream courtyard and the health sciences building, ie. red brick and wood panelling!

The full height glass atrium is its most striking feature, theres also a glazed link between the Kemmy business school and the existing Schuman building, which now looks a bit tired next to the new build. Both the brickwork and the windows could do with a good scrubbing, the roof is also starting to look a bit tatty, could do with a bit of attention aswell. Also I wish they'd finally lay a proper surface on the non staff section of the rear carpark, its an absolute shambles at this stage! I also see there is to be a charge for the new "western" car park, probably to pay for the new bridge!:(

Robert Schuman Building
Tuborg

Postby Briain » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm not a big fan of the roof overhang on the Kemmy building..there's also a balcony on the back that I don't see being used. Other than that it seems to fit in well with the existing building.
Briain

Postby CologneMike » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Briain, how is this new "UL Architectural Course" performing?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 am

More UL Project News

Irish Chamber Orchestra Hall

The image has a “Church” feel about it?

New Medical School

Concept planning of the Medical School has commenced.This development is on the North Bank between Cappavilla and the Health Sciences Building. Adjacent to the Medical School will be a new student residence with 50 en-suite study bedrooms. Commencement is targeted for September 2008, to be completed by December 2009.

Lero Building

Funding for a new research building for LERO was approved by the HEA under Cycle 4 of the PRTLI. A design team is to appointed shortly. The target is to complete construction by September 2009.

Presidents House

A new presidential house will be situated on the North Bank of the campus. Commencement is targeted for September 2008, to be completed by August 2009.

UL President Prof Don Barry might like this bungalow instead! It’s also situated on the North Bank of the campus.;)
Attachments
Bungalow.JPG
Bungalow.JPG (140.92 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:15 pm

The new ICO hall building looks decidedly unexciting - a box with a monopitch roof and a wee service bit tacked on. Can nobody design public buildings with any presence anymore? Who designed this non-event? It's not even shown in any context. (What's that? Can you do it in CAD?) I presume this is a 1st year student's practical design submission.
johnglas

Postby CologneMike » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm

johnglas wrote:The new ICO hall building looks decidedly unexciting - a box with a monopitch roof and a wee service bit tacked on. Can nobody design public buildings with any presence anymore? Who designed this non-event? It's not even shown in any context. (What's that? Can you do it in CAD?) I presume this is a 1st year student's practical design submission.

I presume this is a 1st year student's practical design submission. You are overstating the obvious! The poor image speaks for itself? What’s your point? It’s difficult enough for posters to get access to material relevant to threads on the Irish forum. Is your glass now empty?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:22 pm

CologneMike: I think you're slightly losing the place. I was under the vague impression this was a site for comment - not continually taking the huff. The building's rubbish - end of story.
johnglas

Postby CologneMike » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:58 pm

johnglas wrote:CologneMike: I think you're slightly losing the place. I was under the vague impression this was a site for comment - not continually taking the huff. The building's rubbish - end of story.

Johnglas, incorrect – the image is rubbish! End of story? Well no Johnglas, I usually keep looking for better material or even wait till the building is built before I make up my mind.

Nothing personally like, but for someone who is supposedly new to the Irish forum, you certainly wasted no time with your pushy style on telling busy posters on what they post is relevant to a particular thread or not. That’s rude buddy. If you don't know nothing about the people’s park or the UL campus then why rant about them in a negative fashion? It just pollutes the thread. End of ……….eh huff!
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Oh dear - and now you know why architects and planners are held in such low regard. Since the building is not yet built, we can only go on the image.
I'm so sorry for being so pushy - have you found the rattle they threw out of your pram yet? (Or perhaps you're still looking for it to post?)
I don't think we should communicate at all.
The end.
johnglas

Postby CologneMike » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:52 pm

johnglas wrote:Oh dear - and now you know why architects and planners are held in such low regard. Since the building is not yet built, we can only go on the image.
I'm so sorry for being so pushy - have you found the rattle they threw out of your pram yet? (Or perhaps you're still looking for it to post?)
I don't think we should communicate at all.
The end.

Read that before! It went like: Now, now now son, don't go throwing your rattle out of your pram again, OK? Hmmmm……Paris Jack???? Am I right or what?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 pm

The ICO hall is half-built from what I saw the other day (unless that was something else - it's just in front of Cappavilla, just up from the Health building spaceship).

There's also a languages building taking form beside the Millstream Courtyard.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland