Mature student inquiry !!!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Mature student inquiry !!!

Postby berryboy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:10 am

Basically, I am 30 yrs old and have decided to become an architect !! Before you beat me down , let me finish.
This is a decision that has been nearly 12 yrs in the making. I have been in the construction industry in New York for nearly 8 yrs and am now self employed with a lot of high end jobs complete !! and also some fine woodworking experience under my belt. As far as art is concerned, I got a B in Honors and I also have 5 yrs of mechanical and technical drawing done. I can draw and paint and I also am interested in photography.
I have navigated the official web sites for DIT and UCD and I am waiting to hear back from their mature student body, but I wasn't able to find the requirements ! I need to know what I have to do? I'm sure all shall be revealed on Jan 7th when they return to office but I need to know now. I'm aware of the DIT entry exam and spacial test thingy majig. What does UCD require ? will I have to resit my leaving.....Right now I'm probably looking at 2009 to start any coarse. Does anybody have any information they would like to share with me . My interests lay in the sustaining, environmental and ecological areas (I'm a hippy ) so do these coarse even lead to such choices .
As I said earlier, this is a recent decision for me and I resourced this forum relatively short after so I haven't researched all avenues yet !! I appreciate all responses ..
B
berryboy

Re: Mature student inquiry !!!

Postby cloudsteph » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm

hi there, i'm also considering starting the long road to qualifying as an architect as a mature student. i went to both the ucd and dit open days in december, both of which were very useful and informative. i left all of my printed material (some of which i have yet to read fully) at my family home over xmas and im having it posted back to me so i once i have it, il hopefully be able to answer those questions for you.
cloudsteph

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:08 pm

UCD won't require you to re-sit the leaving, berryboy- it's interview and portfolio, as far as I know.

From the interests you list: have you considered a Master's in planning? (That way you get to control the form of the built environment by refusing designs you don't like and granting the ones you do!) ;)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby berryboy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:00 pm

(That way you get to control the form of the built environment by refusing designs you don't like and granting the ones you do!) ;)[/QUOTE]

thanks for your response, but I have no desire to control the built environment by refusing or accepting designs. conceptualizing and envisioning sustainable and environmentally conscious homes and spaces is where my desire lays. If more designs where to include energy efficient lighting systems, features that take advantage of the suns rays or the wind!, natural materials that are easily replenished, Less toxic interior finishes etc etc... if a house had incorporated these into its design to gain "green points" the owner may have more freedoms regarding it aesthetics..... what do you think.
berryboy

Postby massamann » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:05 am

Another option is to look at working as a Building Services engineer. DIT and WIT both have courses. In most buildings (even larger houses) all the heating, electrical and ventilation systems will be designed by the Mechanical Services or Electrical consultant, and not the architect. So it would be right on the edge of new greener designs.

It might just be another option for you - and one that would allow you to be qualified much quicker than as an architect.
massamann

Postby stuarthart » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Well it seems some responses so far are from disciplines not related to architecture, and although it is true that they both provide a speedier route to qualification but the bottom line is you won't be a qualified architect. After all it is the architect who oversees the entire project, not the electrical engineers. You design & manage the entire project. It's tough work and the pay ain't what we deserve but its ultimately very fulfilling.

I myself am a mature student (28) studying in my fourth year of architecture in the University of Dundee, Scotland. I would suggest you look at Scotland as an option for study, it has the SAAS (Student Award Agency of Scotland) to help pay tuition fees and the courses in Edinburgh, Dundee & Aberdeen are rated highly in the UK.

Hope this helps
stuarthart

Postby massamann » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:25 pm

A bit elitist there Stuart, no?

In any of the projects that I've worked on which involved geothermal, hydrothermal, solar or heat recovery systems, it was never the architects that I dealt with. It was always the Buidling Services engineers.
massamann

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:44 pm

berryboy wrote:
me wrote:(That way you get to control the form of the built environment by refusing designs you don't like and granting the ones you do!) ]

thanks for your response, but I have no desire to control the built environment by refusing or accepting designs.

Lighten up, ferchrissakes. It was a joke.

But this is not a joke: from your original post, I would still suggest planning as an area worthy of investigation. I suspect your interests would be more engaged in planning than in architecture.

[/my two cents]
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby timothy.j » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm

Have you considered University of Limerick? I know come of the tutors there, and I've seen the facilities, and I have heard nothing but good things about it.
UCD is currently in a transitional stage at the moment as modularisation has been brutally steam rolled across all faculties, and unfortunately the architecture program has not dealt with it well, what should be a simple admin task has filtered down and is affecting the quality of the student's experience, and is currently causing a lot of frustration. I don't want to put you off, I'm sure they will sort out these issues over the next year or two, and the module system should eventually be very beneficial especially to mature students, so do be aware of the issues.
Finally do question your motives, issues of sustainability, and the environment are admirable concerns, in really its just one of the considerations of the architect, this has been a pet peev of mine for a while. I will not attempt to define architecture, but some of the quailities of great architecture, that I believe most won't argue with are the creation of space, scale and proportion, innovation, respect for history and traditions, craaftsmanship, enjoyment of materials, quality of light, harmony with nature, etc etc, etc. Of course sustainability is inherent to many of these qualities, but it is not enough on its own. If this is your primary concern, then perhaps you would be better applied to building services engineering, or planning as mentioned above. I do not say this in a way that is meant to be demeaning either to you or these professions and I hope I don't sound patronising; they are invaluable, as, lets face it a lot of architects still haven't got the whole green thing: "if Mies can have single glazing then so can I"
Hope this is useful rather than confusing.
timothy.j

Postby berryboy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:47 pm

I do thank you all for you replies but when all is said and done I do feel my desires do lay in architecture. I am aware that there is much more to it then sustainability and environmental awareness!........but I do feel strongly about these !
If I am to strive to be anything, it is to be an architect . I am fully aware of what it entails and at this stage of my life my focus is set. I also believe and without sounding patronizing that the building services industry is a truly professional and integral part of the whole, having a twin brother who is a QS and a father who is a civil engineering contractor I know and am aware of the contributions of other professions (without naming them all).
Thank you [STUATHART for your response. That's the encouragement I was looking for here. It is a long road ahead for me and there will be many who will try to dis wade me and I do thank all of you again but the decision is made and I'm going forward. ;)
berryboy

Return to World Architecture