Cork Transport

Re: Cork Transport

Postby THE_Chris » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Friend of a friend is one of the people involved in the waterbus thing. He's anticipating a 35 minute trip from Cobh to Cork. How that'll work with the speed restrictions I dont know. Also, where he drops people off in Cork is absolutely critical.
THE_Chris

Postby Angry Rebel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm

The 35 minutes does take account of the speed limit.

They will be dropping at Anderson's Quay. Other than Custom House Quay there is nowhere else they can drop as none of the bridges give sufficient clearance to go further upriver.
Angry Rebel

Postby lawyer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:11 pm

Angry Rebel wrote:The 35 minutes does take account of the speed limit.

They will be dropping at Anderson's Quay. Other than Custom House Quay there is nowhere else they can drop as none of the bridges give sufficient clearance to go further upriver.

I wonder if you mean Penrose Quay.
To get to Anderson's Quay, they would have to go under Michael Collins Bridge.
lawyer

Postby Angry Rebel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 am

No, I mean either Anderson's Quay (south bank, Bonded Warehouse etc) or Horgans Quay (north bank) [see map].

Since I did comment on bridge clearance, clearly I'm conscious of the limitations?
Angry Rebel

Postby lawyer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 am

No need to get 'uppity'
What is shown on your map as Anderson's Quay (on the right) is, in fact, the North Custom House Quay. (See Port of Cork website if you want confirmation).
As a matter of interest, what is shown as 'Albert St.' on your map is Michael Collins Bridge,' Penrose Quay' is a continuation of St. Patrick's Quay and 'Horgan's Quay is Penrose Quay.
lawyer

Postby PTB » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:13 am

Yeah, I think Penrose Quay starts at Ship Street.
PTB

Postby Angry Rebel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:24 am

lawyer wrote:No need to get 'uppity'
What is shown on your map as Anderson's Quay (on the right) is, in fact, the North Custom House Quay. (See Port of Cork website if you want confirmation).
As a matter of interest, what is shown as 'Albert St.' on your map is Michael Collins Bridge,' Penrose Quay' is a continuation of St. Patrick's Quay and 'Horgan's Quay is Penrose Quay.

I'm not getting uppity, frankly this isn't going to make me lose sleep!

Suffice to say...it'll be docking at a point below Michael Collins bridge, either north or south bank! An argument beyond this point is merely semantics. Blame Google for their mapping if you disagree with the naming, but it's not "my" map, I just referred to it...
Angry Rebel

Postby lawyer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:36 am

Angry Rebel wrote:I'm not getting uppity, frankly this isn't going to make me lose sleep!

Suffice to say...it'll be docking at a point below Michael Collins bridge, either north or south bank! An argument beyond this point is merely semantics. Blame Google for their mapping if you disagree with the naming, but it's not "my" map, I just referred to it...

To err is human, to forgive is divine.
lawyer

Postby Angry Rebel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:04 pm

...but to really cock things up you need a computer....
Angry Rebel

Postby who_me » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 pm

theblimp wrote:With regard to the waterbus concept, while I think it's a wonderful idea, I feel that one of the biggest probs is going to be the speed restriction from Blackrock Castle in to the quays. Anyone who's every come up-river by boat will testify that it takes quite some time to complete that leg of the journey within the speed limit. I can't see the rowing clubs allowing a new waterbus service gaining a special dispensation here. Also remember that this speed limit is speed over water, NOT speed over ground. So while the limit is (I think) 5 knots, if you're up against a 3-knot tidal stream, you're only making good 2 knots over ground ...... casual walking pace :(

Couldn't something be worked out here? The bus is only really going to be worthwhile for 2 hours of the day or so (coming to and from work) so couldn't the speed limit be relaxed for these periods?
who_me

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Second public consultation for the R624 (Fota road) upgrade to Cobh took place today in the Sheraton, Fota Island.

Yours truly drove a long way to get there and has the documents which he will scan tomorrow, as well as some more information about the scheme.
THE_Chris

Postby jungle » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:28 am

Last Saturday's Echo had on its front page details of a new bridge planned for the city. At first, I assumed it was a reference to the Water St bridge, but in the details they said

The planned bridge will connect new developments on Cork’s south docks to Tivoli, close to the Silver-Springs Moran Hotel, forming a stylish new gateway point to the city.

Now, opposite Silversprings is the Atlantic Pond. There's no substantial road network to link to there at the moment and I can see an almighty row if anyone tried to develop one. Also, I can't see any details on the Corporation web site.

Is this the Echo getting the wrong end of the stick about Water St or is it genuinely a completely new bridge?

On a side note, this is the diagram of the bridge

Nice to see such originality of thought...

jungle

Postby Angry Rebel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am

The worst thing about each of the 3 new bridges that they are planning is that they all seem to be 2 lane (ie. one lane each way). Bridges are pretty expensive yokes, but extending a bridge is even more expensive so it's seems shortsighted to me at this stage to scrimp on making them 4 lane, as most of Cork's bridges are. Seeing how busy all of them are you would think making any new ones 4 lanes would be a no brainer.
Angry Rebel

Postby samuel j » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:56 pm

THE_Chris wrote:Second public consultation for the R624 (Fota road) upgrade to Cobh took place today in the Sheraton, Fota Island.

Yours truly drove a long way to get there and has the documents which he will scan tomorrow, as well as some more information about the scheme.

Good man, anything worth posting or have they rounded down the list of options...?
samuel j

Postby THE_Chris » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Yeah I didnt get a chance to scan it, will do it when I'm home in a few days.

They picked the most sensible route, which was the one with the long bridge straight over the estuary.

From what I gathered, its going to be dual carriageway the whole way (from IFI to Sheraton entrance).
THE_Chris

Postby PTB » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:40 pm

jungle wrote:Last Saturday's Echo had on its front page details of a new bridge planned for the city. At first, I assumed it was a reference to the Water St bridge, but in the details they said

Now, opposite Silversprings is the Atlantic Pond. There's no substantial road network to link to there at the moment and I can see an almighty row if anyone tried to develop one. Also, I can't see any details on the Corporation web site.

Is this the Echo getting the wrong end of the stick about Water St or is it genuinely a completely new bridge?

On a side note, this is the diagram of the bridge

This dont look like a raisable brige. Does this mean no more ships up at he quays?
PTB

Postby who_me » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 pm

I assume the reference to Silversprings was just inaccuracy rather than a new location, the hotel isn't too far from Water Street. At least I hope so.

The alternative being - they're considering developing the old railway line into a road route right into the heart of the docklands, with a bridge across to the North side of the river. Ick!

I was under the impression that boats will be able to come up as far as the Custom House Quays too PTB. If that bridge is meant to be liftable/swingable, it might explain why it's only 2 lanes. Incidentally, will any of the bridges be 1-way?
who_me

Postby jungle » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Although the Maas is a bit wider than the Lee, if it's anything like the Erasmus Bridge (the other one I showed), some boats will get under the main span, while the bit between the pylon and the opposite shore can be raised to let taller ships through.

Of course, the Erasmus Bridge also has a tram line over it, if only it could be exactly like a scaled down version...
jungle

Postby KerryBog2 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 am

jungle wrote:............some boats will get under the main span, while the bit between the pylon and the opposite shore can be raised to let taller ships through.

Am I missing something here? I thought that the working quays in Cork city were going, and the Mills, etc, were being redeveloped for non-marine use?
KB
KerryBog2

Postby jungle » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:32 am

I'm thinking more of leisure craft or something like the proposed waterbus service. They should be able to get under the bridge at high tide. To facilitate things like naval visits and older ships with masts, you'd make the bridge raisable as well. What you don't want is a situation where it blocks the river or it has to be raised for anything that wants to go under it.
jungle

Postby theblimp » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:29 am

With regard to the location of that bridge, I do indeed seem to recall some talk (way back) of a bridge running south from the 'Skew Bridge' in the road by Tivoli (when it jumps over the rail-line). Perhaps this is where they're talking about.

Yes the plan was for heavy commercial traffic to leave the city docks, but there has always been a desire to retain access for leisure, navy, small cruise, tallships, etc. etc. - therefore this would have to be taken into account with any new bridge
theblimp

Postby jungle » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:43 am

The Skew Bridge would make more sense than Silversprings as you could run onto Centre Park Road from there.

I'm still surprised by the lack of public consultation on the plan. I haven't seen any movement until the announcement it was happening. The price quoted is very high. It's more than the entire cost of reopening the Midleton rail line and we've all seen how hard it has been to get funding released for that.
jungle

Postby Pug » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:53 am

there will be 3 new bridges, one at the Skew Bridge, one at Water St and a pedestrian bridge from about 2/3 way down horgans quay that will lead directly over to one of the main roads within docklands

there is a draft docklands plan out for public consultation at the moment but i dont think its the final one yet, its very comprehensive and very detailed, took a lot of work i would say. Long delayed and newly formed Docklands forum group meeting next month but wont be reporting back to Govt until June 08, another delay and no hint that tax incentives in the docklands will be included in the budget, so another delay.
Pug

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:12 am

You sure about the location of those 3 bridges?

I've seen plans with a traffic bridge crossing the river in front of the (new) railway station, with specific proviso for future use as a light rail bridge. No idea if that bridge is an opener, but I really doubt it, for obvious reasons.
Aidan

Postby Pug » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:33 am

yeah am sure, we are talking about the same bridge in front of Horgans Quay / New Railway Station. Dont know about the light rail part (maybe in 20 years) but its marked pedestrian anyway in the draft plan.
Pug

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland