Architect's Structural Engineering Grinds!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Architect's Structural Engineering Grinds!

Postby Chamfer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Could someone please recommend a structural engineering grinds tutor, or failing that a resource that I might use to find one? I am a student of Architecture at DIT Bolton Street and I have to sit a 3rd Year Structures repeat in May. I need some heavy duty help!
Chamfer

Re: Architect's Structural Engineering Grinds!

Postby PTB » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:55 pm

Have you tried asking Lauder?
PTB

Postby Chamfer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:28 pm

No I have not. I'd rather outsource. The faculty have not been especially helpful in the past.
Chamfer

Postby hans inc. » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:43 pm

Dude, either you have it or you don't.
hans inc.

Postby lorkel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Not sure if this will help, but I would advise you to contact an engineer (either structural or civil) as they will have covered all the stuff in the exam and should be able to explain it quite well. You will probably find that you already know someone that's an engineer or you will find a friend of a friend that is!

I'm currently in 3rd year in Bolton Street and when my friend and I were in 1st year, we asked my friend's uncle to run through some stuff for the mechanics exam (some last minute cramming but it did the job!) - he is a civil engineer and has his own firm. He explained some of the stuff in a few different ways to try to find the best way for us to get it. He is really interested in engineering and to him, all the stuff we cover for architecture is basic, so it didn't take long for him to go through it.

If you find someone willing to help, give them a copy of your notes to read through first and then arrange a meeting with them. You might be surprised by how helpful some people can be. Another route that might help is if you get someone that is really interested in mathematics/applied mathematics and physics. We also enlisted the help of another DIT lecturer that is really sound and helped a good few of us with different problems from past papers even though it wasn't even his subject...

Failing that, you're welcome to join our cramming sessions as they usually work quite well - a few of us get together and cram like you've never crammed before! We will be going through the past papers and will call on whoever we can think of, in order to get them done!

Anyway, I hope you find someone!

PS. To "hans inc. - grow up!
lorkel

Return to World Architecture