D'Olier & Westmoreland St.

Re: Westmoreland / D'Olier Streets

Postby Alek Smart » Sun May 13, 2007 7:32 pm

Well Graham.....The GOOD news is that Bus Atha Cliath`s next major new trunk route the 141 ( Swords to Kenilworth Sq) will shortly be trundling out of it`s garage.
The original intention for this 10 minute headway route was for it to utilize Gardiner St as its cross-city aspect.

However somebody appeared to take fright and as a result 12 additional buses per hour (6 each way) will be headin along O Connell St very soon.

There are plans afoot to construct a reviewing stand outside Dublin Bus HQ (Number 59) where senior company executives will review the fleet each day and from which a noon-day gun will be fired as well as the 23.30 Last Bus signal each night.

I understand the company`s provisions manager has been spotted browsing through the selection of Russian Army Officers clothing in the Georges St arcade in an attempt to put a little glamour into the process.... :eek:

Not to worry,it`ll be grand when the O Connell St by-pass is finished...! :)
Alek Smart

Postby ake » Sun May 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Spot on critique Graham. I'm a regular user of the street for a few years now so I took to the practice of looking beyond the street whenever walking along it to the wonderful view of O'Connell street or the Lords entrance, I thus forgot how bad the street is, especially that amusement arcade or whatever it is on the west side. I'm glad to see you mentioned the trees in front of the buildings. Trees are a total illogicality in cities!! What is the point in decorating buildings if they're behind leaves!!?? Portland, brick, glass, corinthian columns, sash windows..if you can't actually see[I][/I] them why have[I][/I] them? A large section of the north quays are invisible behind leaves, naturally, mostly the sections with the decent buildings, like the Four Courts (!) Did you mention how dangerous it is walking on the east side where that un marked turn off for buses and taxis is- practically every time I cross it someone has to run for it.
ake

Postby Maskhadov » Sun May 13, 2007 9:17 pm

state of the street is a complete joke.. the payment across o connoll bridge is a mess.. the tar is horrible.
Maskhadov

Postby sw101 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:53 pm

GrahamH wrote:It’s just unreal at times.

you're famous, graham
Attachments
2654_001.jpg
2654_001.jpg (245.57 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
sw101

Postby publicrealm » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:24 pm

sw101 wrote:you're famous, graham

I presume the quote from 'Wank, Adams, Slavin' is a typo? Unreal is right :D
publicrealm

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Doubt it :)

A nursing home in my local paper was recently referred to, in quotation marks which just added to the fun of it all. as "The Bitches". After the tree, you'll understand.

sw101 wrote:you're famous, graham

Ah, highrisers got the better deal. All mine needs is a 'like' and a questioning tone; with a toss of the hair it's straight from the Miriam O'Callaghan phrasebook.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:52 am

'Irish Times' iconic clock leaves D'Olier Street
Frank McDonald, Environment Editor

The Irish Times clock was finally removed from D'Olier Street in Dublin yesterday and is to be re-erected on the gable end of the company's new premises on Tara Street.

The clock, which dates from the early 1900s, was originally erected on the old Irish Times building on Westmoreland Street and then relocated to D'Olier Street after the front office was relocated there in the 1970s.

Planning permission had to be sought from Dublin City Council to remove the clock as it was part of a terrace of protected buildings dating from the first decade of the 19th century, designed by the Wide Streets Commissioners.

The city council also needed to give its consent as landlord to the re-erection of the clock on the new Irish Times premises, where it is to be placed at second-floor level on the Townsend Street frontage of the seven-storey building.

The clock will be prominently located on the basalt panels of the building, secured to its reinforced concrete structure.

It will also be situated at a high enough elevation to ensure that it would not be hit by a truck or double-decker bus.

Maolíosa Ó Floinn of architects Henry J Lyons and Partners said the cast ironwork of the clock - which he described as having "iconic value" - would need to be refurbished before being erected at its new location in the coming months.

In the meantime, he said work would proceed on the installation of a digital "ticker-tape scroll" at first-floor level on the Tara Street frontage of the building.

This will carry breaking news from Irish Times website, ireland.com.

The former Irish Times premises in D'Olier Street and Fleet Street was acquired last year by developers P Elliott and Company for €29 million.

It is likely to be renovated for a mix of offices and apartments with shops at street level.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Frank Taylor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:22 pm

publicrealm wrote:I presume the quote from 'Wank, Adams, Slavin' is a typo?
It's a real company, complete with god-awful architect's web site
http://www.go2wasa.com/
triumph of form over function
Frank Taylor

Postby publicrealm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:18 pm

Frank Taylor wrote:It's a real company, complete with god-awful architect's web site
http://www.go2wasa.com/
triumph of form over function

Wow. A pretty pious practice. Wouldn't last long in the Irish market.
publicrealm

Postby StephenC » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:25 pm

The Indo had a piece yesterday on a new BID (Business Improvement District) to take effect over the next 12 months from Grafton Street to O'Connell Street. Perhaps many of the serious issues highlighted above can be solved with a few flower baskets. Then again maybe private businesses will be able to see the situation clearer than DCC can and actually take some action.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby phil » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:23 pm

phil
Old Master

Postby Devin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:21 pm

Good for showing all the beer cans in the Londis window, Grah – a disgrace!
But while I abhor the current dire state of Westmoreland Street, I don’t believe there’s any point in seeking improvements ‘til the whole Luas situation kicks in … the City Council would be wasting their time chasing after improvements in this area at the moment (except for unauth. devts.).

As bad as the Londis cans are, some people may remember that, up until about 10 years ago, there was an Abrakebabra occupying that corner. Things could only improve ……

This was the proposed Guiness shopfront Gra mentioned (1st picture below), refused in Feb this year because:

1. The proposed development, by reason of its design, material and prominent location, would be seriously injurious to the character and amenities of this sensitive streetscape, which is a designated Architectural Conservation Area and would conflict with the policies and objectives set out in the Dublin City Development Plan, 2005-2011, and the O' Connell Street Architectural Conservation Area, in respect of shopfront design. Accordingly the proposed development would adversely affect the Architectural Conservation Area of O' Connell Street and would thus be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
(Ref. 6480/06)

As soon as it was refused, they stuck up an equally bad version (2nd picture below), and it remains there now … What does it say about the city when an ugly shopfront emblazoned with 'Guinness' – almost a byword for Dublin – can be illegally stuck up right in the centre?

(A complaint to Planning Enforcement was made at the time.)
Attachments
Copy of Unauthorised Westmoreland st shopfront.JPG
Copy of Unauthorised Westmoreland st shopfront.JPG (86.59 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
Westmoreland st shopfront proposal.jpg
Westmoreland st shopfront proposal.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
Devin
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 am

Devin wrote:Good for showing all the beer cans in the Londis window, Grah – a disgrace!

(A complaint to Planning Enforcement was made at the time.)

hmm its doens't look so bad to me, I guess the guinness colours/logo look sorta classic

what does the original shop front look like, would something closer to that be what you are looking for
lostexpectation

Postby GrahamH » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:16 pm

Yes we're lucky that it's at least monochrome.

This development, lostexpectation has to be viewed in the context of Westmoreland Street being an Architectural Conservation Area, and also in the context of being one of the first planned and unified retail streets in the city - at the very least modern-day developments, contemporary or otherwise, should be sympathetic to the original ideal of modestly contributing to a greater whole, regardless of design.

Both shopfront proposals above just scream maximum impact and all-consuming greed, not just because its an historic street, but by any standards its not the ideal of any principal thoroughfare to have retailers competing for the most garish impact on the streetscape. The design of these shopfronts is also blank, expansive and 'applied' in appearance; they neither integrate with nor visually support the upper floors of their buildings.

It's just a typical one-size-fits-all approach: vaguely crisp and modrin - it'll do grand :rolleyes:

The aim of Westmoreland (and D'Olier) Streets from here on in is to consolidate shopfront design into a varied, but standardised module, that in scale and proportion matches each neighbouring unit. This Guinness store is an applling trend to set - to apply this logic elsewhere, we'd permit Spar and Centra and Lifestyle Sports to have similar expansive advertising plates marching down the throughfare. Eh, no thanks.

The mounted floodlighting is also totally unnecessary, and logos are not permitted in an area of planning control. So yeah - every rule in the book broken really. That's why it's been erected.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:18 am

lostexpectation,

It's the scale of the fascia mainly. The ground floors of the Westmoreland Street buildings are quite high – more like one & a half storeys (the reason afaik being that they originally had a mezzanine level inside). The original shopfronts were broken up to reflect this. But nowadays some of the poorer shopfronts on the street, like the Guinness one & a Spar opposite, take advantage of this one-&-a-half-storey height and slap on a huge fascia.

But I know what you mean about the Guinness lettering. It’s classic.
Devin
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:50 am

"Claires" a couple of dorrs down the street probably provides a better example of what shold be achieved here. I also think the actual Guinness facade is of much lower quality that the proposed. It looks temporary.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby tommyt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 am

tommyt

Postby PTB » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 am

Where are these 'current' public toilets?
PTB

Postby Morlan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:47 am

PTB wrote:Where are these 'current' public toilets?

here
Morlan

Postby notjim » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:44 am

Will these new toilets be underground: I hope we don't get those terrible kiosk things like they had on the quays in the old days?

This junction could be so grand if the trees and yes the toilet were removed.
notjim

Postby Morlan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:09 pm

What about Metro North? They're probably going to need to excavate around there.
Morlan

Postby StephenC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:26 pm

I thought this project would be parked until the Luas route was clarified because lets face it everything else seems to be! The planning for this was for an above ground kiosk and for the filling in of the exsiting toilets. It was also planned to repave the median.

Im not sure if this toilet is one of the 4 being funded by the JC Decaux billboard scheme.

Elsewhere on Westmoreland St...great to see another quality shop appear. The former Barnies Coffee shop (god I miss those muffins) has been reopened as a Supermacs "Family Restuarant". And there I was thinking that the number of fast food places had been capped within the IAP area.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby fergalr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:17 am

StephenC wrote:Elsewhere on Westmoreland St...great to see another quality shop appear. The former Barnies Coffee shop (god I miss those muffins)

Apparently there's one in Clery's. Best coffee and muffins in the ciry. It was too good value to last.
fergalr

Postby StephenC » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:01 am

Its for the best though....my waistline couldnt take it!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:54 pm

:)

The emergence of Supermacs here is naturally of great surprise, and would appear to be warranted given the apparent lack of planning permission - there's no record of a change of use application on DCC's site, nor for alterations to the shopfront. I also saw no site notice to this effect.

The Special Planning Control Scheme which covers Westmoreland Street states: "The conversion of a restaurant/café or part of a restaurant/café to a fast food outlet will constitute a change of use and will require planning permission." It also specially notes: "There are no locations in the Area of Special Planning Control that are considered suitable for additional fast food outlets or outlets for the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises (take-aways)." Can a take-away/sit-in coffee outlet (i.e. Barnie's) be considered the same as a full-blown fast food restaurant? Perhaps Beshoff's takeaway designation beforehand swung it, with Barnie's continuing to trade under the banner.

Even use aside, the previous Barnie's signage which was average but at least muted was completely altered by Supermacs painting the cheap, applied timber facia day-glo white. It is cheap and nasty, and a tacky scar on this imposing building.

Also more holes drilled in the granite for security camera fittings and nasty cabling, and yet more brash floodlighting with exposed junction boxes and cabling overhanging the street.

While yet more doorcases and window frames have been taken out in favour of expansive glazing exposing all of the interior to the street. And already they have illegal postering tacked about their new glazing.

The only positive move was the cleaning of the stonework and removal of menus. Here's Barnie's before.

Did DCC have so much as a look-in on this case? Even if they did, it thoroughly stinks.

Another slap in the face towards improving Westmoreland Street.
GrahamH
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland