spetember 11th memorial - nazi inspired?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

spetember 11th memorial - nazi inspired?

Postby fjh » Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:55 pm

the light installation at the wtc site to remember the world trade centers and thier victims is very similar to the "cathedral of light" designed by albert speer for hitlers rally at nuremburg

The "Tribute in Light" will serve as a temporary memorial and will be displayed at night until April 13.

the lights reach alomst a mile up into the night sky. it really does look spectacular and extremely beautiful.

but can you really detach speers work from hitler?

especially considering americas current stance on thier war on evil, is this really appropiate seeing as how linked it is to the nazis?

i really do think that its beautiful but i also feel it is the most obvious thing that could have been done, a cheap trick almost.....

a picture of the tribute in light
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/11/nation.remembers/link.lights.wide.ap.jpg

a picture of speers catherdal of light. http://members.tripod.com/albertspeer/files/cathlite.jpg

[This message has been edited by fjh (edited 12 March 2002).]
fjh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:22 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby fjh » Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:24 pm

thanks for the picture, mine is crappy
fjh

Postby Juan » Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:07 pm

Speaking about that, you should try the last Paul Virilio essay: "Ce qui arrive", Galil2e, 2002. Unfortunatly, it hasn't been published in englih yet.
Originally posted by fjh:
the light installation at the wtc site to remember the world trade centers and thier victims is very similar to the "cathedral of light" designed by albert speer for hitlers rally at nuremburg

The "Tribute in Light" will serve as a temporary memorial and will be displayed at night until April 13.

the lights reach alomst a mile up into the night sky. it really does look spectacular and extremely beautiful.

but can you really detach speers work from hitler?

especially considering americas current stance on thier war on evil, is this really appropiate seeing as how linked it is to the nazis?

i really do think that its beautiful but i also feel it is the most obvious thing that could have been done, a cheap trick almost.....

a picture of the tribute in light
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/11/nation.remembers/link.lights.wide.ap.jpg

a picture of speers catherdal of light. http://members.tripod.com/albertspeer/files/cathlite.jpg

[This message has been edited by fjh (edited 12 March 2002).]
Juan

Postby Sara M* » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:15 am

Speer comparisons aside, the light memorial has another unfortunate association. I have heard people here in nyc comment that the memorial reminds them of the glow from the klieg lights set up for the rescue workers during the first month after the collapse of the towers.

It is quite beautiful, though.
Sara M*

Postby GregF » Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:02 pm

I think it is a fitting and quite an impressionable memorial.
The Nazi's robbed ideas and concepts from all cultures......blending them together to form their own warped myth. I would'nt connect the two....it is not deliberate but just by chance that there may be a similiarity.

(reading too much on the David Icke website?)
GregF
Old Master

Postby cajual » Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:54 am

if course there are similarities- the aim of the speers architecture and the tribute to sept. 11 are the same regardless of the political ideology behind each (although you could argue that there is little difference in political ideology).
both are intended to inspire awe, patriotism, pride, and the triumph of man over nature.
It has to be said alot of speers architecture is beautifully awe-inspiring in its portrayal of strength and power- in the same way as the colisseum or any number of ancient structures are.
cajual

Return to World Architecture