Eoghan Harris on one-off housing

Re: Eoghan Harris on one-off housing

Postby PVC King » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:46 pm

He stuck to the point that the campaign is about issues and not personality.

I don't feel that the comparison to Flynn or Healy Rae is particularly mature or contributes in anyway to this discussion.
PVC King

Postby alonso » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:08 pm

He blindly defended Ahern against all principles of ethical governance. I just saw the clip on the news. His words were:

"for the first time, and the last time, I am voting Fianna Fail"

This shows he has no political ideology or any conviction whatsoever. Is he gonna revert to FG or SF next time? Who knows. He was doing so to support Bertie's personality against his colleagues in the media. He failed utterly to couch this support in terms of any of the issues whatsoever other than his own rampant contrariness.

My comparison to the other "independents" is fairly apt imo. The term Indepnedent is used by the two sides to put a false, dishonest cordon sanitaire between them. If Harris can claim independence after that performance, and what's more to get away with it, is a sad indictment on Irish political culture.

Anyway, if you wish to respond again PVC, i'll read it, but I think we should put this to bed here on archiseek, and return to matters architecture and planning. I'm sure Sue is about to post some nonsense over on that Tara thread again!

see you there
alonso

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:09 pm

Take it outside lads: http://www.politics.ie

;)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 pm

The point that a new senator with outspoken views on one off housing has entered seanad eireann is in no way a political point.

The fact that some posters chose to ignore his stated views on this issue and rant on about his views on a completely irrelevant topic is disapointing but far from suprising!

These individuals would be better served lobbying the man than blogging!
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:00 am

Ivor Callely faces FF parliamentary party expulsion
Friday, 4 June 2010 10:19
Senator Ivor Callely faces expulsion from the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party after an investigation was launched into his expense claims.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0604/callelyi.html

The party's Chief Whip, John Curran, is to propose a motion to the next meeting of the parliamentary party that the whip be removed from Senator Callely, without prejudice, pending the completion of the investigation.

This controversy began on Sunday, with the revelation that the Dublin-based Senator had been claiming travel and subsistence expenses to Leinster House from his other residence in Co Cork.
Yesterday afternoon, after receiving a written statement from the Senator, the Committee on Members' Interests in the Seanad confirmed there was sufficient evidence to sustain a complaint under the Ethics in Public Office Act.

The Committee is to receive legal advice, as well as more information about the expenses rules, before meeting again the week after next to get the inquiry under way.

Yesterday night, Fianna Fáil issued a statement noting the Committee's decision and repeating that the matter is being taken seriously by the party and that Senator Callely must deal with it 'comprehensively and transparently'.

A Fianna Fáil spokesman said 'strenuous efforts' had been made to contact Senator Callely to inform him of the decision but without success.

Separately, it has emerged that a second senator has claimed travel and accommodation expenses from an address outside of that listed on the Fianna Fáil website.

Senator Larry Butler, whose official address is in Foxrock, Co Dublin, said that since he was elected to the Seanad in 2007 he has lived in Graiguenamanagh in Co Kilkenny.

Another reason to ban them....

Rural need my arse.....
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 am

GORMLEY RULES OUT FLAT-RATE WATER, PROPERTY TAXES - The Irish Times reports that Green Party leader and Minister for the Environment John Gormley has ruled out a flat-rate property tax in next year's Budget. He has also discounted a flat-rate water charge.

The paper says there has been speculation that the Department of Finance is considering a flat-rate property tax as an interim measure until a comprehensive property valuation system is in place.

But it quotes Mr Gormley as saying that, in the case of water and property tax, it should not be on a flat-rate basis. 'I know there are people out there who think this is the way to go, but once you do that you lose the argument. All the evidence is that people are prepared to pay taxes if they are brought in on a fair basis,' he added.

Mr Gormley added that if people were asked to pay a flat-rate water charge, they were then likely to use as much as they wanted and there would be no environmental benefit.

Whilst never being a fan of more taxes it is good to see that there will be at least some link between cost of services provided and cost of charges levied. One applauds this approach which will see the prudent less punished than those that have had for far too long an extended free lunch.
PVC King

Postby KerryBog2 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Link between cost and services provided?

I had to pay to bring ESB to my house
I had to bore my own well
I had to install a biomass unit
There is no public transport
There is no refuse collection
The IS a bottlebank 5kms away
I must go to the nearest Dump which is 30+kms away, €18 for a car boot full.
The road surface of the Southern side of the Ring of Kerry is a national disgrace, potholes everywhere, subsidence, broken walls, etc. due to the thousands of cement/block/hardcore trucks that pounded the roads during the Tiger years.Very little of the contributions paid by builders has gone back into the infrastructure.

I was over in Allihies / Kilmacallogue direction last weekend - far less spolied than South Kerry, in fairness to Cork CoCo.
KerryBog2

Postby PVC King » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 pm

KerryBog2 wrote: Link between cost and services provided? .

KerryBog2 wrote: I had to pay to bring ESB to my house .

All households have to pay to be connected; how far did the connection need to go from the nearest supply and how much did it cost?

KerryBog2 wrote: I had to bore my own well .

You will then no doubt not face water charges which if equitable will be based on consumption; there are however very many instances where local authorities have substantial bills to remediate water courses where septic tanks are defective.

KerryBog2 wrote: I had to install a biomass unit .

Good

KerryBog2 wrote: There is no public transport .

A good reason to ban one off houses they encourage excessive car use which degrades the road network.

KerryBog2 wrote: There is no refuse collection .

No bin charges then.

KerryBog2 wrote: The IS a bottlebank 5kms away .

Recycling facilities are patchy everywhere

KerryBog2 wrote: I must go to the nearest Dump which is 30+kms away, €18 for a car boot full. .

Which if you recycle suffciently and store non-compostible waste should be cheaper than urban based bin charges.
KerryBog2 wrote: The road surface of the Southern side of the Ring of Kerry is a national disgrace, potholes everywhere, subsidence, broken walls, etc. due to the thousands of cement/block/hardcore trucks that pounded the roads during the Tiger years.Very little of the contributions paid by builders has gone back into the infrastructure. .

It must have been all the cement trucks delivering the constructionmaterials required to build all the one off houses built over the past decade. Spending on non-national roads was running at €300m per year up to 2007 it would appear the Healy Raes got hoodwinked if the Ring of Kerry can't have a resurface.

Spending on School buses exploded from €60m a year in 1999 to €192m in 2009; the decade of the one off house has left yet another cost.
PVC King

Previous

Return to Ireland