Windows Overlooking Neighbour's Window

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Windows Overlooking Neighbour's Window

Postby chicken » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:39 am

Hi,

Our neighbour has just inserted a window into a wall on the side of their house, directly opposite our existing side window which has been present since the house was built. The glazing in the new window is clear.

I have been in touch with the local planning department about this and they say that, unless there is a restriction in the title of the property, the only regulations that govern what windows can be inserted and where in the property are Building Regulations. In other words the local council are saying there is nothing that we can do about it.

Both an architect friend of ours and another friend both say that the window should should have been opaqued glass so that it doesn't intrude on our privacy, etc.

Is this the case? And if so, what regulations / legislation do I need to refer to? And if not, does that mean that if there are no specifics in my title deeds, I can put whatever windows in my house that directly stare into my neighbour's :rolleyes: ?

Many thanks for your assistance.

C
chicken

Re: Windows Overlooking Neighbour's Window

Postby brianrochford » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 am

Try talking to your neighbour - always preferable to reach your own agreement if you can . They may argue that you should (also) re glaze your window with obscured glass and that they are only following a precedent that your building has set . So a compromise may be the order of the day .
brianrochford

Return to World Architecture