St. Stephen's Green, Dublin

Re: St. Stephen's Green, Dublin

Postby PVC King » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Totally agree on the principle but feel that KPMG is more likely to come into play.

There should definitely be a planning gain if they were to accomodate metro
PVC King

Postby colm07 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:52 am

Stephens Green.........old shit:)
Attachments
clar27t.jpeg
clar27t.jpeg (48.19 KiB) Viewed 6873 times
clar49t.jpeg
clar49t.jpeg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 6862 times
pic55.jpeg
pic55.jpeg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 6869 times
colm07

Postby Devin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Devin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Oh sweet mother of god, that's atrocious looking.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:03 pm

I'd have thought Devin was taking the piss if it wasn't for the planning ref. STW what are you up to?
Peter Fitz

Postby weehamster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:39 pm

F#ck, no-way
weehamster

Postby PVC King » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 pm

This is very retrograde considering the wonderful job done on the Shelbourne by the same developers which bought them a lot of kudos in my book as putting something back.

STW should be ashamed of themselves they are wasting their clients money this is a complete non-runner for any listed building let alone one on a georgian square. They should donate these fees to charity
PVC King

Postby Devin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Big 1960s block proposed here for the corner of Earlsfort Terrace and Hatch Street Lower, to replace a 4-storey '80s building (proposed view from Hatch Street above). Very little third party interest in this, surprisingly. Usually plenty of curt, middle class professionals around here who know about tings like planning ..
Ref. 5257/08
Devin
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Would that be Deloittes hq Devin ?
Peter Fitz

Postby Devin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:47 pm

I don't know who is in it. Here is the existing building.

Devin
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm

ah right, Deloitte is across the street (facing concert hall) ... anyway the scale of this proposal is way off.
Peter Fitz

Postby gunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I saw the model of that thing in the Corpo before Christmas, and I was hoping it would have been dispatched by now.

What kind of design philosophy teaches you to take the worst attributes of the standard 1970s spec. office block, add four storeys onto it, and stick in in for planning, as if the last twenty years of urban debate was all happening on someone else's planet?
gunter
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Arrogance, dear boy, arrogance. By the way, what has happened to Dublin's most romantic bldg (well, one of them), the former University Hostel on Hatch St?
johnglas

Postby fergalr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Hall_(Dublin)

Being used as a home for asylum seekers, according to Dr Wikipedia.
fergalr

Postby jdivision » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Not sure but would the proposal be the OPW/Clancourt jv? Would explain a lot
"In addition, Clancourt, the development company belonging to Charlie Kenny and his family, will redevelop houses it owns on Earlsfort Terrace along with the OPW’s building on Hatch Street."
http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/10/07/story27131.asp
(second last para)
jdivision

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:54 pm

I know for sure that the OPW has a place on the opposite (north) side of Hatch Street, a bit closer to Leeson Street. I'm not sure if they've anything on this side.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby mp » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm

What kind of design philosophy teaches you to take the worst attributes of the standard 1970s spec. office block, add four storeys onto it, and stick in in for planning, as if the last twenty years of urban debate was all happening on someone else's planet?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I'm not sure if the people responsible for large commercial buildings in this country subscribe to any design philosophy at all.
mp

Postby kinsella » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:48 pm

I didn't know that FAI Chief Executive, John Delaney, was a time travelling tranvestite!..................:D
Attachments
clar27t.jpg
clar27t.jpg (48.19 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
kinsella

Postby PVC King » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:07 pm

ctesiphon wrote:I know for sure that the OPW has a place on the opposite (north) side of Hatch Street, a bit closer to Leeson Street. I'm not sure if they've anything on this side.

The 1980's brown brick building on Hatch Street in the style of the now demolished Gaiety Centre used to be an Inland Waterways office.

I quite like the proposal on densification of backland terms and the general fenestration looks ok depending on the quality of materials used. Its relationship with the Terrace between Hatch Street and Davitt House is less encouraging.
PVC King

Postby notjim » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Cinema planned for roof of SG shopping center!

http://www.tribune.ie/business/article/2010/jan/17/andersons-plan-9m-cineplex-on-roof-of-stephens-gre/

"The new cinema deal has been under discussion between the Andersons and the owners of the centre for nine months and they are hoping to apply for planning permission by the end of February. Anderson said most of the structure will be built off-site in panels and then assembled on-site, making construction relatively quick, and they hope to open in the middle of next year.

Anderson said they would be using lightweight structures and the existing centre could take the extra capacity, meaning structural supports would not be needed.

He believes the cinema could the first phase in a regeneration of the entire St Stephen's Green shopping centre by landlords Irish Life and property investor Pierce Maloney, who owns the Bus Stop chain of newsagents."
notjim

Postby missarchi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:14 pm

I thought St Stephens green had hit the ceiling literally a long time ago...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 pm

So, we are off again. A new traffic layout for St Stephen's Green. This time to facilitate the Luas works beginning in May and the operating of the Luas BXD in 2030 or whenever its meant to be completed. A Part VIII application has been lodged by Dublin City Council for changes to the North, East and South sides and various side streets. The big change is the junction at Merrion Row whcih is being reconstructed to create a right turn onto Merrion Row.

As usual, Dublin City Council's abysmal website doesnt have the plans and spec uploaded yet. There is no doubt a queue for the scanner in Wood Quay.

Application is here http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/r ... ts%3C/a%3E Observations by the 14th Jan, although I would highlight that the Council are appear to be ignoring most comments that made on Part VIIIs. Pesky public consultations.

On balance the changes sounds straightforward to me. They should remove some of the ugly junctions and clutter that accumulated from the last round of works in 2004(?). As ever, the devil is in the bollard- and signage-filled detail...
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Here's the text describing the works...

Pursuant to the requirements of the above, notice is hereby given of proposed Revised Southside Traffic Management Measures to Facilitate LUAS Broombridge on St Stephens Green North and St Stephens Green East, Dublin 2. The revised traffic management arrangements are required to facilitate construction works on Dawson Street and the operation of Luas once constructed.

The proposed works will comprise the reconfiguration of the road space along St Stephens Green North and St Stephens Green East to provide the following:
Removal of existing build out at the junction of St Stephens Green East, St Stephens Green North and Merrion Row.
Provision of island at the junction of St Stephens Green East and St Stephens Green North and a median along St Stephens Green North for approx 50 meters.
Relocation of the Grace Weir sculpture approx 8 meters to the west on the new proposed island. Revised arrangements for eastbound traffic on St Stephens Green North between Kildare Street and Merrion Row to include: -Reconfiguration of traffic lanes to provide one straight ahead lane onto Merrion Row. -Provision of a loading bay along Shelbourne Hotel frontage. -Widening of footpath between Kildare Street and Merrion Row from 2.6 meters to a maximum of 6 meters. Revised arrangements for westbound traffic on St Stephens Green North between St Stephens Green East and Kildare Street to include: -Reconfiguration of traffic lanes to provide one straight ahead lane onto St Stephens Green North. -Provision of one right turn lane onto Kildare Street. -Provision of a 1.75 metre wide cycle lane. Revised arrangements for southbound traffic on St Stephens Green East between Merrion Row and Hume Street to include: -Widening of footpath from 2.50 meters to 3.8 meters. -Provision of a 1.75 meter wide cycle lane.
Revised arrangements for northbound traffic on St Stephens Green East between Hume Street and Merrion Row to include: -Reconfiguration of traffic lanes to provide one turning lane onto St Stephens Green North. -Provision of two right turning lanes onto Merrion Row. -Removal of 12 no. pay and display car parking spaces. -Provision of a 1.75 meter wide cycle lane. Revised arrangements for southbound traffic on St Stephens Green East between Hume Street and Leeson Street to include: -Provision of a dedicated left turn bus lane onto Leeson Street. -Provision of a straight ahead lane onto Earlsfort Terrace for buses and vehicles exiting the existing private car park approx 34 meters from the junction of St Stephens Green East and Leeson Street.
Revised arrangements for northbound traffic on St Stephens Green East between Leeson Street and Hume Street to include: -Reconfigure traffic lanes to provide 3 no. lanes approaching the new signalised junction. -Provision of a 1.75 meter wide cycle lane. Signalisation of the junction of Hume Street and St Stephens Green East to include: -Removal of pedestrian crossing in the centre of St Stephens Green East. -Provision of pedestrian crossing at the Hume Street junction. -Provision of an advanced stop line for cyclists at the traffic lights on St Stephens Green East. Relocate the existing dublinbikes stand from the centre of St Stephens Green East to the north of new signalised junction at Hume Street. The provision of 10 no. additional dublinbikes stands to the south of the new signalised junction.
Relocate existing bicycle parking from existing build out to Hume Street and St Stephens Green North.
Alterations to egress arrangements for private car park on St Stephens Green East allowing left only.

Were you expecting Bordeaux-style vision?
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Those plans are available to view now. Actually all looks quite logical to me and definitely an improvement on the current set up. Its not clear but I assume there will be a right turn from Merrion Row onto Ely Place in future for buses etc. It will be interesting to see how Kildare Street reacts to traffic in both directions.

One small point that continues to irritate me is the way pavement build-outs are constructed. Rather than lifting and resetting the kerb line, a second kerb line is installed and the build-out paved to meet it. Despite all the traffic and now the Luas...it must still be remembered that St Stephen's Green is an historic city square. Some finessing of the design to reflect this would be welcome.

However, despite the rhetoric of that lofty Public Realm Strategy...these improvements seem to have been drafted by the Roads Engineering Team. I would be very interested to be corrected on that.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby aj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:39 pm

I see all the windows of the Hume Street Hospital are now open giving some impressive glimpses of some very fine pasterwork.

It looks like the refurb has begun!
aj

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland