Galway water

Galway water

Postby schuhart » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a slowness to actually identify the source of the problem? I saw something about the local authority sending out a half dozen staff to investigate, but seemed to be sending out a spin to the effect of 'we're not going to point to too much one-off housing and/or sheep farming by locals as the ultimate problem but if someone from the EPA or the Department want to come in from outside and do it, be our guests'.

Does this look to be one of the disbenefits of one-off housing, long predicted and ignored by local councillors?
schuhart

Re: Galway water

Postby THE_Chris » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Looks to me like not enough fuss is being made.

I mean c'mon, Human and animal feces found in the water supply of a major EU city? Cripes.
THE_Chris

Postby PVC King » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:57 am

It is indeed shocking that a city in the wealthiest EU country (so they keep telling us) has had a water problem lasting longer than 7 days that wasn't due to climatic conditions.

This is not a problem that is unique to Galway nor is it the fault of the local authorities imvolved. Carlow has been down this road many times and interestingly the Carlow supply is down river so to speak in the drainage pattern from Kildare which has a very high number of one off houses serviced by septic tanks. I have spoken to planners in county coucils who off the record have repeated outline coversations with applicants for one off houses explaining the risks of localised water polution quite graphically. The applicants either don't believe them or don't care as the 'sites' were to be sold and as such the applications were never for a 'residence' in reality for the applicants using the residency rules allowing proper planning rules to be ignored.

Unfortunately it is not only septic tanks that are the problem; Lough Derg has been virtually un-swimmable for years which horticultural experts attribute to the lawn feed from the numerous hacienda style one off houses that ruin the aesthetic of lake. Then you have the hundreds of illegal dumps which that sector is making €100m's from due to no effective policing of.

Water quality is not an objective that has been properly considered or managed. Galway is just unlucky that it has affected them and not somewhere else.
PVC King

Postby kite » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:49 pm

It is not just one off housing and farming that is to blame for water contamination.
Bad planning by city and county officials, many who got their jobs by being “next in line” for promotion is the major cause of all our ills in this Country.
Imagine having a director of planning (now thankfully an ex director) who got his job by doing a six week course and then appointed by a City Managers Order.
Would anyone out there be happy to have open heart surgery performed on your child by a pen pusher who took a six week course and was appointed on the say so of a hospital manager?
...............................................................................................................

High density developments have their problems as well;

Irish Examiner 31st March.

Apartments’ water supply contaminated by copper

By Sarah Stack
ANOTHER contamination scare has hit Irish households as Environment Minister Dick Roche tried to allay concerns over water pollution.

While 90,000 people in Galway remain at risk from the cryptosporidium parasite, residents in a new housing development in Dublin have been warned to boil all drinking water after tests showed it contained twice the legal limit for copper.

It comes after claims that the health of 30,000 residents in the Clare region are also at risk, with reports of other water restrictions highlighted in the midlands.
The latest scare at Farmleigh Woods, Castleknock, was highlighted when a pet fish died and the water tested for high levels of copper.

With no problems recorded in the public water supply to the development, Fingal County Council is only advising residents in the 100-plus apartment complex not to drink tap water, urging those with medical conditions to contact their doctor.

Director of water services PJ Howell said: “It is okay for washing and cooking, but until this problem is identified properly and sorted out people have been advised not to drink the water. The levels of copper which we have in the public water supply are 00.4mgs per litre, and the permitted level is 2mgs per litre. If you were drinking something slightly in excess of that it wouldn’t be a major problem.”

He said the developers are taking the matter very seriously and are engaged in an in-depth investigation into the cause of the problem.

“The apartment complex here is more than 100 apartments, so it is quite a significant size with a lot of work possibly to rectify it.”

Meanwhile, the Green Party’s Brian Meaner has said the people of Clare, where he is deputy mayor and where a cautionary boil notice was put in place two years ago, are set to face the same water bug outbreak as Galway. Although the boil notice was lifted last October when a temporary filtration system was installed, vulnerable people — including the sick, elderly and newborn — are still warned not to drink tap water.

“Despite the installation of a filtration system, the cautionary boil notice has been in operation in Ennis and the surrounding area for the past two years. Cryptosporidum is already in the water supply and it may only be a matter of time, before levels surge and an outbreak occurs, like that which is now affecting Galway,” said Mr Meaner.

“Chlorination doesn’t solve the problem, which has been caused by human and animal sewerage contaminating the water supply at source.”
kite

Postby PVC King » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:49 pm

[quote="kite"]It is not just one off housing and farming that is to blame for water contamination.
Bad planning by city and county officials, many who got their jobs by being “next in line” for promotion is the major cause of all our ills in this Country.
Imagine having a director of planning (now thankfully an ex director) who got his job by doing a six week course and then appointed by a City Managers Order.
Would anyone out there be happy to have open heart surgery performed on your child by a pen pusher who took a six week course and was appointed on the say so of a hospital manager?
...............................................................................................................

High density developments have their problems as well]

I'm not so surw that there are many unqualified planners in ireland today. To be honest it wouldn't make much difference if there weren't given many of the guidelines published by the minister and the complete lack of regional infrastructural planning in relation to waste and water. For example Wicklow is its own independent waste region and illegal dumps there had the potential to knock out 75% of the Dublin water supply according to former city manager John Fitzgerald when he made a submission for a retention planning application for an illegal dump.

One has to wonder what are the underlying causes of the Galway and Ennis water system meltdowns; I doubt it is sheep farming given their respective water catchments.
PVC King

Postby THE_Chris » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 am

"Director of water services PJ Howell said: “It is okay for washing and cooking, but until this problem is identified properly and sorted out people have been advised not to drink the water. The levels of copper which we have in the public water supply are 00.4mgs per litre, and the permitted level is 2mgs per litre. If you were drinking something slightly in excess of that it wouldn’t be a major problem.”"

Yes its ok to drink something slightly over the legal safety limit.

You fool, thats what limits are there for! Here we have the water services director openly not caring about a higher level of copper in the water and saying, "Sure yeah its fine". Although the limits are set deliberatly low, this is a shameful stand from the director.
THE_Chris

Postby FIN » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:41 pm

[quote="PVC King"]

Unfortunately it is not only septic tanks that are the problem]

bord na mona was the major contributor to lough derg being polluted for as long as i can remember. whenever you swam in it and put your feet down you landed on peat. it killed all the trout years ago.
it has improved i believe but still...
FIN

Postby PVC King » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:36 pm

I don't go with that analysis at all as the peatlands of the shannon basin have drained into the shannon waterway for thousands of years without damage to the eco system. The problem is very definitely man made and my money is on a combination of septic tanks and lawn feed not to mention sporadic illegal dumps containing everything from offal to hospital waste.
PVC King

Postby FIN » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:43 pm

IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN SEEPING FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS BUT UNTIL A PEAT PROCESSING PLANT WENT ON THE SHANNON THERE WAS A NORMAL RIVER TYPE BOTTOM TO THE SHANNON & LOUGH DERG.

ooops sorry.... it pumped an enormous amount into the river hence the bottom was all peat. like when you break up a brickette. nice and soft when your swimming but killed the plant life...

there wasn't septic tanks in most places or at least functional ones. farmers spreading slurry doesn't help...

it's a huge combination of things.
FIN

Postby schuhart » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:39 am

I'm sure the cause could be any number of things. It just looks like there's a reluctance to actually find and identify the cause, which therefore raises the suspicion that its something uncomfortable. Maybe the ultimate cause is simply that the local authority didn't invest sufficiently in water treatment, and they've been living on borrowed time. Maybe its a product of local agriculture and/or one off housing. Maybe its something else.

We're an awfully small country. These things should be surely be capable of being investigated and discovered. But it frequently seems we prefer a fog to clarity, as if the situation was as unknowable as the location of the Holy Grail. It seems like an obvious question.

Pollution is pointed to as one of the many disbenefits of one-off housing. Is that a factor here? 'I guess we'll never really know. Maybe people from Dublin are driving down in the middle of the night and emptying their commodes into the lake. Or maybe its some State body doing, like, stuff. Like ESB overhead powerlines attracting flocks of seagulls inland to crap into the lake. Or maybe its just the fault of the Green Party Mayor, because we all know how the Greens stand for untrammelled development by polluting industries. But it can't possibly be any action by gobshite Councillors letting people build houses wherever.'
schuhart

Postby kite » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:49 am

Scientist blames deadly water bug on new houses
By Treacy Hogan and Patricia McDonagh
Friday June 22 2007
Leading US scientist Richard Martin yesterday said that cryptosporidium could be caused by houses being built on what was once traditional farming land where water is prone to contamination.
Addressing the Engineering Ireland Conference in Athlone, the manager with NSF International USA argued that insufficient waste and water treatment infrastructure generated the outbreak of cryptosporidium.
Extreme weather incidents and geological issues like the condition of the subsoil were also cited as a factor.
"Combined with rapid residential development in previous farming areas, there are more access points for contaminated surface water to reach ground water," he said in Athlone.
However, this was vehemently denied by Galway City Council yesterday who said that all developments had been in compliance with planning regulations.
"Any development, residential or otherwise, has been in line with regulations", said City Council spokesperson Maire Ni Mhullain.
"Our development plan was approved by the Department of the Environment and was built based around the regulations guidelines and the National Development Plan."
Despite this, former Mayor of Galway and Green councillor Niall O Brolchain said it was "quite clear that the cryptosporidium outbreak was caused by overdevelopment".
"There have been many new houses around the city and no adequate sewerage treatment. The planning provided isn't sufficient."
- Treacy Hogan and Patricia McDonagh
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/scientist-blames-deadly-water-bug-on-new-houses-740573.html
kite

Postby browser » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:02 am

Does anyone else share my view that in light of the Galway electorate returning ALL their government TDs and not voting for their Green party Mayor (whilst in the middle of this debacle) that it is hard to have sympathy for them. What exactly do you have to do to lose votes in this Country? Silly me thought not having drinking water might suffice!
browser

Postby galwayrush » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:40 pm

browser wrote:Does anyone else share my view that in light of the Galway electorate returning ALL their government TDs and not voting for their Green party Mayor (whilst in the middle of this debacle) that it is hard to have sympathy for them. What exactly do you have to do to lose votes in this Country? Silly me thought not having drinking water might suffice!

The Green canidate was doing well enough to win a seat until he went totally against the Outer By-Pass.The Water crisis dosen't bother me or anyone i know, we never drank the Water from the tap anyways, but Traffic chaos certainly does.
galwayrush

Postby PVC King » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:45 pm

It isn't signed off yet is it?
PVC King

Postby THE_Chris » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:40 pm

The bypass? No. Wont be funded till after 2010 anyway, thats for sure. My guess (and it is just a guess) will that it'll be 2011 or 2012 before construction starts.
THE_Chris

Postby Hiivaladan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:56 pm

galwayrush wrote:The Water crisis dosen't bother me or anyone i know, we never drank the Water from the tap anyways, but Traffic chaos certainly does.

It's well to be some people. I guess some people can't afford to drink nothing but bottled water, but, sure who cares about them anyway.
Hiivaladan

Postby kite » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:57 pm

Hiivaladan wrote:It's well to be some people. I guess some people can't afford to drink nothing but bottled water, but, sure who cares about them anyway.

:rolleyes: Remember that famous quote; “Let them eat cake”
But notwithstanding that, you get what you vote for?, although the cause of this crisis would appear to be an unelected official who has since moved on. ;)
kite

Postby StephenC » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:43 pm

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

"I cant see what all the fuss is about."

Yours sincerely

A N Other
Chief Executive, Galway Bottled Water Company

"Sure its just a little hiccup on account of our extraordinarily successful economy"

Yours sincerely,

Jim Joe McMucker TD
Fianna Fail (or Fine Gael doesn't really matter - will get re-elected anyway)

"Who cares! Just give me my bypass/motorway/Western Rail Corridor so that I can get the hell out of here and have a shower in clean water"

Your sincerely,

Johnny Doe
Local resident/ sheep who votes for the same party guy "cause dey always deliver (shit) for the constituency"

"What's a septic tank?"

Yours sincerely,

Mick Lolly
Local hard-pressed farmer for whom there is very little future on "de land"/ millionaire property developer
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:47 pm

Course I blame John Gormley for all this. He's the Minister for the Environment after all.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:48 pm

Him and his mate Niall

Its all a big loony left plot to drive the locals out!!!
PVC King

Postby kite » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Cryptosporidium outbreak in Galway
From ireland.com
11:17
Tuesday, 1st April, 2008
Residents in parts of Co Galway have been hit by a new outbreak of the cryptosporidium parasite.
Tests on the Roundstone Public Water Scheme showed trace elements of the parasite, as did water schemes for Inishnee and Errisbeg.
Between 300 and 350 houses are believed to be affected.
No illnesses have been reported yet, but Galway County Council has instructed residents in these areas to boil tap water before using it for drinking, brushing teeth or food preparation.
A spokesman for the council said the supplies did not comply with drinking water standards, and that the council was looking at possible options, temporary and long term, to improve the quality of supplies.
The outbreak comes shortly after Galway City Council said water supplies had been restored to the west of the city and part of the county.
kite

Return to Ireland