what's going up in Cobh

Re: what's going up in Cobh

Postby Rhabanus » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:10 am

Argus' eyes are fixed on Cobh Town Council!

samuel j wrote:Excellent report Descamps.... WATCH we cetainly will

And well done Cllr Sean O'Connor.......for asking a simple question in the hope of receiving a straight answer

You and many more are asking "Just what the devil is going on in Cobh Town Council?"
Rhabanus

Postby descamps » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Last night's meeting of the Cobh Town Council saw some fine rearguard action brought up by the Myaor Noreen Doyle when difficulties arose over adopting the minutes of the last meeting. As recorded Noreen was was supposed to have made a statement in response to Concillor Sean O'Connor's (FF) question if she had been attending any meetings with the cathedral authorities to plan the next stage of the wreckage. It should be recalled that Noreen had no comment when asked the fateful question. But in the minutes she was recorded as having made a statement - possibly the one in the Great Island News. A heated discussion ensued. In the end Councillor Crowley (Labour) suddenly recovered his memory and remembered that Noreen, his fellow Labour councillor, did make a statement. A move obviously to consolidate a Labour's expected plebisidal-landslide in Cobh and East Cork in the next elections.

But this was merely foreplay on Councillor O'Connor's part. When Noreen sailed through the "correspondence" item on the agenda with great equinimity, she was asked by Councillor O'Connor if the Town Clerk, P. Lynch, had received and correspondence from An Taisc concerning the lack of maintenance of Cobh Cathedral. Well, a red-faced P. Lynch coyly admitted he had received such correspondence (which he was not going to mention to the Town Council). When asked by Cllr. O'Connor what he intended to do about it, P. Lynch replied he had passed the correspondence to the Town Architect - Pierangelo Cacciotti - who is now preparing a report on the matter. This will be Pierangelo's first foray into the cathedral affray and it will be interesting how he approaches it. All eyes are now fixed on Pierangelo Cacciotti.
descamps

Postby samuel j » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:36 pm

excellent reporting deschamps......... all eyes fixed firmly......
samuel j

Postby Praxiteles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:13 am

samuel wrote: all eyes fixed firmly......

Ah yes, before he sets out with his copybook and pencil, perhaps someone should explain to Mr. Cacciottii the meaning of the Cork custom of whipping the herring.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 am

God they're a competent bunch arent they :D

Wonder if Mr. Cacciotti is now realising the mess he's got himself into :D
THE_Chris

Postby samuel j » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:26 pm

The Old Gasworks down by Casteview, Rushbrooke
Latest development nearing completion...details on :

http://www.jamesgcoughlan.com/res_prop.php?action=view_record&housenumber=581;
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:27 pm

THE_Chris wrote:God they're a competent bunch arent they :D

Wonder if Mr. Cacciotti is now realising the mess he's got himself into :D

I'd say he is........:D :D
samuel j

Postby Gianlorenzo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:49 pm

Concerning Mr. Lynch's memory loss[I][/I] regarding 'recent correspondances', one wonders what else has been omitted in this area over the years.
It would appear that Mr. Lynch (Town Clerk) and Ms O'Halloran (Town Manager) decide what the Council should be told; take minutes which reflect what they wish to be recorded; and have total and complete contempt for the democratic process.
No wonder permission was granted for the wrecking of Cobh Cathedral as well as the wholesale destruction of the environment on Great Island.
Do any of you remember the breach of planning law which occurred this time last year during the ABP Oral Hearing, when some of participants took core samples of the mosaic floor in the Sanctuary of the Cathedral and then produced same at the Oral Hearing,without either Planning Permission or a Declaration. The silence regarding this law breaking has been deafening and guess who was involved in ignoring this crime - yes, none other than Mr. Lynch.
Someone should inform the people of Cobh that they need not waste their time voting for anyone on the Town Council as they have no say in anything and even if they had, the Council are sheltered from any inconvenient issues by Mr. Lynch and his side kick Ms O'Halloran
Gianlorenzo

Postby samuel j » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:17 pm

Some welcome visitors to Cobh
The 313m "Navigator of the Seas" berthing at Cobh on 3/6/07.
Combined with the pipe bands concerts going on the same day, the town was thronged with visitors, good to see it and may there be many more days.
A badly needed boost to the local economy
samuel j

Postby Noodles » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30 pm

That is just :cool: . Childishness is taking over:)
Noodles

Postby samuel j » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 am

With the Cathedral dominating the landscape and the numerous Victorian buildings, I know the visitors arriving by sea just love the place.... Tourist related business is about all that Cobh has left and it can do it... a few vessels like this (the biggest they can safely handle) not just draw on local services but also draws many people from shoreside, crowds were all along the quays, 5 foot way, And if they bought just one ice cream..that would do nicely,
Combine this with the possible Marina, ABP due to make a decìsion on this on the 9th of June and Cobh could well drag itself out of the ashes....
samuel j

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:25 pm

That first pic is insane :)

I just hope there wasnt a fleet of buses there to whisk people off to Blarney :(
THE_Chris

Postby samuel j » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:37 pm

THE_Chris wrote:That first pic is insane :)

I just hope there wasnt a fleet of buses there to whisk people off to Blarney :(

there was but with so many people came to see her..the place was buzzing.. on land and sea...
samuel j

Postby samuel j » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:40 am

Some more news form Cobh. The Town Council in their wisdom intend selling off the land they have next to the old Town Hall/Lynchs Quay Area.
However this contravenes their own Development Plan 2005 to 2011 (Page 86)
In fact in 1998 the Town Architect prepared a plan and map of the area which they had then earmarked for use as an amenity and car park.
They must not be allowed sell this land off and all steps should be taken to ensure they go ahead with the plan
and give the East end of the town a badly needed lift and more importantly address the car parking issue which they themselves indentified as one of the chief weaknesses to attracting tourists to the town

Photos are of the 1998 plan
samuel j

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Ugh... expect to see a wall of apartments appear.
THE_Chris

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:31 pm

Short notice I know, but if anyones interested, I have heard that there is a public meeting in the Sheraton Hotel (New one on Fota Island) about a proposed upgrade of the Fota Road.

Its open till 830 tonight, 21st June if anyones going to run down there.
THE_Chris

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Will hopefully have copies of the documentation in a few days.

Dont quote me on this as it was read out over the phone and could be misinterpreted, but from what I gathered, there are 13 or 14 possible route options and some of them involve dual carriageway between Fota Sheraton and the island. Some involve an entirely new bridge crossing, others involve a smaller bridge to carry traffic onto Cobh with the current bridge used to take traffic off Cobh.

I'll see if its scanable once I have the documentation in my hands.

Dont get too excited though as in my experience, its usually ~6 years between the first public consultation and the start of construction.
THE_Chris

Postby samuel j » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 am

Fota - Would be great if you managed to a scanable post.
samuel j

Postby THE_Chris » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:26 pm

Got the paperwork :D Will post over the next few days :)
THE_Chris

Postby THE_Chris » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Apologies for the delay, but heres a .zip file containing detailled scans of the Fota road brochure.

Route option 5a looks the most likely to me from experience at these things, balancing cost, environmental concerns and sanity.

I dont have webspace and its too big for an attachment so I've had to put it up on a free server. Its clean, but there are ads.

Active for seven days from this post. I'll re-up if necessary :)

LEFT CLICK - http://download.yousendit.com/C3F6DE4E7F90D712
THE_Chris

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:56 pm

Here is an ironic laugh:

The sign reads: "Welcome to Cobh Heritage Town"
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby samuel j » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 am

Yeah and a few hundred metres to the West of sign is the wonderful sight of the Heritage inspired Garda Station...
samuel j

Postby henno » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:17 am

just noticed from samuel j' s pic.....

since when did 3845 m2 change to 3.75 hectares when converted????

is this a new Cork thing....
henno

Postby samuel j » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:54 am

henno wrote:just noticed from samuel j' s pic.....

since when did 3845 m2 change to 3.75 hectares when converted????

is this a new Cork thing....

Yeah they have it at 0.375 hectares..... not 0.3845 hectares

Guess it a Cobh Town Council thing.... as this was prepared by them back in 1998....:D
samuel j

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:56 am

Sums were nevere a strong point with Cobh Urban Council!! Remember the 214 objections that the town manageress managed to read in 4 hours?
Praxiteles
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland