Civil Engineer seeks stortest course possible to become an architect!!!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Civil Engineer seeks stortest course possible to become an architect!!!

Postby Holders » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi all

I am a recentrly qualified Civil Engineer from UCD; after being on the job for the past while I have realised that my true passion lies in the Architectural field....... does anyone know of any architectural degree/postgrad courses in either the UK or Ireland that would reduce the years neccessary to complete the course due to the fact their is so much crossover with Civil and Arch???? I am aware of the Structural Engineering with Architecture course, but unfortunately it gives you no architeectural qualifications....... please help!!!!
Holders

Re: Civil Engineer seeks stortest course possible to become an architect!!!

Postby Bren88 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:39 pm

Its going to be 5 years. Some colleges do allow for a very small number of students with enough expierence to skip into 2nd year direstly, I know DIT do it, not sure about UCD. But there is no 2/3 year add on for a degree. i imagine thats what you are looking for
Bren88

Postby archiboy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

I'm a current 3rd year Civil Engineering student in NUI Galway. I have also realised my true passion lies in Architecture and not engineering and plan on studying Architecture after I graduate.

Another 5 years in college does seem like a daunting prospect for some but (and I think this applies even more so to someone who is qualified in the structural side of building) design is the most important part of architecture. There will be some overlap between the degrees but you will learn important things every year in the Architecture course and it will be enjoyable if it is your true passion, it wont feel like you are wasting time (because you wont be.)

I have been investigation Architecture courses and regardless of where I look the first two year are concentrated on exploring your creative side, the side that is completely lacking in civil engineering, I think it would be a mistake to try to bypass these years, it would take a lot away from an Architects abilities.
archiboy

Postby Bren88 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:31 pm

There will be very little overlap between courses. Anything overlaps that occur will be you own makking were you directed a project towards your previous degree.
I am finishing a degree in architectural technology, If I was to go on to architecture, I would have 5 yers with very little overlap. I would just have a different perspective on it.
Bren88

Postby cokedrinker » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Bren88 wrote:There will be very little overlap between courses. Anything overlaps that occur will be you own makking were you directed a project towards your previous degree.
I am finishing a degree in architectural technology, If I was to go on to architecture, I would have 5 yers with very little overlap. I would just have a different perspective on it.

You sure you would have to do the full five years after a degree in AT? I did a degree in architectural technology at the University of Ulster, which enabled me to get into 3rd year of architecture in the UK, and pick up my degree. From here i could skip the 4th year (which is a work experience year) and proceed to the postgraduate course (part 2) where i am now completing the 6th and final year. I think this was a pretty good way to go about architecture
cokedrinker

Postby Bren88 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:25 pm

So you cut it down to 3 years instead of 5. Thats the best i've heard of, i could do it in 4 if i skip 1st year, but a year less is alot.
what UK university allowed this? And what get after study in uni of ulster, dip./deg./hons.deg
It might be harder for me to get an irish degree recognaised in the UK
Bren88

Postby cokedrinker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:51 am

Yep, I cut it down to 3 years... I got an hons degree in AT at Univ Ulster. Every year about 4 or 5 of the AT graduates from UU go directly into 3rd year architecture at University of Lincoln. During 3rd year we also had to complete some year 1 and year 2 modules, mainly concerning the history of architecture, BUT they allowed us to skip the dissertation as we had done one in the previous course.

Im sure they would recognise an irish degree... you just need to contact a university and explain your situation, some unis will let you directly into 3rd year, others may not. Universities in the UK are easier to compromise with. Fees have gone up to 3k stg for new students this year though! (dunno if they have fees in scotland however)
cokedrinker

Postby Bren88 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:41 pm

The problem is the way the courses are titled. CIAT won't fully recognaise irish AT degrees, even though in the industry it is felt that the same level of material is cover in a UK hons deg and and irish degree, but because its titled as a degree and not an honors one CIAT wont give full membership. All the same subjects are covered, prehaps some more,
but the really funny thing is, when we go on to an extra degree, that could be called a masters in the UK, they still wont recognaise it,

ill look into it, but I might just be happier where I am at te moment
Bren88

Return to World Architecture