Attic Conversions and Apartments

Attic Conversions and Apartments

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Your thoughts or advice?

'I have a friend' who has a top (third) floor apartmnet with an (unused) attic space over. They wish to convert that attic to a 'storage' space, i.e. it will not qualify as habitable space, but will have a staircase up to it (incidently the managemnet co. has no objections to them actually doing this work or using the attic space). There will be no new windows to the external walls or no roof extensions/dormers but there will be rooflights to the 'storage' space fitted to the existing roof facing an internal valley in the roof, i.e. not visible from the street.

The question - could it be considered an exempted development - given the fact that it is an apratment? If it was a house - there would be no problem - wouldn't think twice (all other issues considered). The exempted devlopment regulations refer soley to houses? And I am assuming that an apartment does not come under the definition of a house?

Might it be worth seeking a declaration on this or is more clear cut/black and white than I am imagining - i.e. that it probably is not an exempted development and planning permission is required?

Any views or similar experiences on this would be greatly apprecaited.
DOC

Re: Attic Conversions and Apartments

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:07 pm

Just to let anybody interested know that I got a declaration confirming that the above does not in fact require planning permission - this being much to some people's surprise!
DOC

Postby sw101 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:36 pm

i did just such a scheme for a loft conversion in an apartment building on pearse street. the management company were happy for it to go ahead, but only if planning permission was gotten for any change in the layout of the apartment. it is interesting to see how the planning laws and exemptions designed for houses apply to shared apartment buildings.
sw101

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi sw101

This is most probably the same apartment building as my project! I was surprised myself that we didn't need planning permission. A fire safety consultant told me that he has done two projects like this in other Council areas and both required planning permission.

In our case the management company were happy to let the project proceed as long as we get a fire safety certificate. I have spoken to two fire safety consultants re: fire safety for the project - I gave up doing fire safety certs. years ago! - both said we definitely need a fire safety certificate but one said we wouldn't get it unless we provided an alternative escpae route from the loft! - the other said the same but we may be able to get around that but he said it would be 50/50 whether or not we would get the cert. Have you got that far yet?
DOC

Postby sw101 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:21 am

no fire cert as i wasn't to be a habitable room. the PP was primarily for the rooflights and also to make things simple for subsequent sale of the property. if you're going to sell an apartment which was originally 40 sqm as a 55 sq m one-bed with storage room you better make sure the buyer's solicitor is happy with it.
sw101

Postby mahoney.john » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 pm

DOC wrote:Your thoughts or advice?
The question - could it be considered an exempted development - given the fact that it is an apratment? If it was a house - there would be no problem - wouldn't think twice (all other issues considered). The exempted devlopment regulations refer soley to houses? And I am assuming that an apartment does not come under the definition of a house?

Might it be worth seeking a declaration on this or is more clear cut/black and white than I am imagining - i.e. that it probably is not an exempted development and planning permission is required?

Any views or similar experiences on attic conversions would be greatly apprecaited.

Many of today’s homes are built without a livable attic space. Unfortunately, this type of home overlooks a terrific way to add livable space to your home when it is needed. There are several things that must be considered when you convert an attic into a livable part of your home. Does your attic have an easy access point? Is the ceiling tall enough? Is there already wiring present?
These are only a few of the areas that one should look at when determining if your attic is ready to convert.Imagine what a great feeling it will be when your attic conversion is finished. You will have a great addition to your home and it will really increase the value of your property, as well.
mahoney.john

Return to Irish Planning Matters