Airport architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Re: Airport architecture

Postby goldenegg » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:53 am

The praslin airport was designed by Berlouis Mondon/Design Studio a local Seychellois firm. Although i should add that the timber is not local it is imported from south asia.
goldenegg

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:26 pm

BAA reveal Stansted expansion plans
Airports operator BAA today unveiled its latest plan for a new runway and terminal at Stansted airport. The 3,048m long runway and terminal building will require an additional 486ha of land and cost £1.4bn by the time the terminal opens in 2015.

A consultation on upgrading transport connections into the airport will be announced next month. Upgrades to the M11, the A120 and rail connections will all be considered.

Protestors against the scheme said the airports future will become a test case for airport expansion: “"It is all very well putting a plan on paper but the hurdles that lie ahead will render this a pointless exercise," said Stop Stansted Expansion chair Peter Sanders. "Not only will this plan continue to be fiercely opposed at local level but also, it will become a much wider battle. It will become a key test as to whether – in the full knowledge of the environmental damage that it would cause – we as a society attach greater importance to protecting tomorrow's environment or to meeting today's insatiable demand for ever more cheap flights."

Full details can be found at http://www.stanstedairport.com/future
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:53 pm

Badly needed was 45 minutes circling waiting to land this morning; Stansted is bursting at the seams at peak times; a few years ago you had Easy Jet And Ryanair more or less with the place to themselves; now there are multiple operators at scale out of this airport. Amazingly despite all the runway problems the terminal was a breeze and there were more than enough gates vacant.

A second runway would in fact be environmentally beneficial in that planes could land more quickly thus burning less fuel; no doubt a second runway would lead to demand for additional terminal space. In comparison to Heathrow Stansted is a far superiorm experience in every sense save for the 45 minute rail time.
PVC King

Postby Hugh » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:09 pm

I've more or less abandoned Stansted precisely because of that terrible rail connection - been let down by it too many times.

Best if they sort out the railway befroe they try increasing runways and capacity.

So now I'm a Gatwick convert. Has had a good rail link since the 1930s.
Hugh

Postby Helipilot » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:33 pm

I just recently discovered your forum while doing some research on airport architecture. This is my first post here. I have read most of your comments and feel confidant that someone here will be able to help me out. I am by no miens an architect however I have worked in, slept in, and flown into many airports in my lifetime. I currently work out of T6 in New York’s JFK. Everyday I admire the progress of JetBlue’s new terminal (T5) currently being erected. Not to change the subject of this forum, it’s just that I can’t help but imagine what is next for this aging building. I am writing because I have many ideas/concepts for a new kind of terminal. A completely new design that I think will revolutionize airport operations. I really have no idea who to speak with and absolutely no clue on how to propose such things. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. These are serious ideas that will dramatically speed up aircraft turns, alleviate ramp congestion and save the airlines some serious change. Thank you
Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:44 pm

P.S. Favorite Airport - which ever one buys my idea!
Helipilot

Postby Flyboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Attachments
Pier D.jpg
Pier D.jpg (173.81 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Flyboy

Previous

Return to World Architecture