Why doesn't the Republic of Ireland recognise theHND?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Why doesn't the Republic of Ireland recognise theHND?

Postby Michael Scott 1 » Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:18 pm

I'm a Building Studies(architecture)student who is currently doing a HND in the above course,I recently discovered that a HND is not recognised by the 'powers that be'in UCD and DIT, I am extremely interested in my architectural studies and i was wondering if i achieved good enough grades and had a good portfolio that perhaps i could get in the 'back door',Any responses would be gratefully appreciated.
Michael Scott 1

Postby studqub » Tue Sep 26, 2000 4:15 pm

Well Micheal (Name sounds familiar)
Having a HND background i sympathise with the standing you are currently in. I was in your position two years ago and i would have to agree with the 'powers that be at these colleges.

The course left me ready for the workplace with a good knowledge of technical and contractual aspects of the overall running of a scheme. Where it failed was its design content. It was really down to the candidate to further their architectural knowledge. Architectural technicians in the south are a completely different breed....far more advanced in the design stakes and alot closer to being a 'proper' architect.

After scoring highly 80%+ I was offered direct entry to 2nd year at a number of British Colleges, i chose QUB where i found i was slightly advanced at the start of the year...but by the end of the year the class's ability had evened out.....

Which of the two HND'S in the north are you doing (Or are you on the mainland)???
studqub

Postby MICHAEL SCOTT » Tue Sep 26, 2000 4:25 pm

I'm in the north & my course full title is HND Building Studies with architectural technology, As you probably know building studies is divided between, building management or architectural technology.
MICHAEL SCOTT

Postby Macker » Tue Sep 26, 2000 5:20 pm

The mainland?????????
Excuse me???!!!???
Macker

Return to World Architecture