Will i get in?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Will i get in?

Postby c_k_m » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:21 am

hey
im a student currently doing a portfolio preparation course for the year. i think im fairly good at art, drawing and generally i think ill do well in a portfolio. the problem is i got 445 in the leavng cert..which rules out most of the colleges..id say DIT is the only place ill have a chance of getting into.

How hard is it to do well in the interview/aptitude test..i think im fairly well suited to architecture as ive taken career guidance test things.

Also does anyone know anythin about studying in scotland(i hear its free)?which is the best place to try and will i get in? or how much fees are in england or northern ireland.

Thanks alot
chris
c_k_m

Re: Will i get in?

Postby McTavish » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:18 pm

in terms of wishing to become an architect it seems that that some of the most celebrated architects Le-Corbusier, Ludwig Mies-van-der Rohe and the Irsih Architect Micheal Scott of BusArras fame either dropped out of or did not undertake formal architectural studies however these guys changed the world (of architecture). now the "profession" of architecture is a different thing now-a-days and if you wish to become a member of the "profession" you'l probably need to get that degree. There are lots off really good universities in Engalnd Scotland and Wales and sure Ryan Air will get ya there 'n back for tuppence. Finally an apprentice with the great Frank loyd Wright (Architect) said that a "great building starts with a great idea". if you have great ideas go for it! Good luck... Oh and the word architect is from the Greek "Archi-tech-ton" which means Master Builder with the emphasis being on the spiritual and intellectual qualities of building... in otherwords its the "art in architecture" that counts... mix a bit of art in with your great idea...cheers.
McTavish

Postby CM00 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:05 pm

If you check, there's a thread all about "getting into D.I.T." With regards to your other question, there are lots of Irish studying in the U.k. (about ten on my course of 100). Tuition fees have gone up to £3000 (I think) if you're starting off in England or Wales. I believe that R.o.i students still qualify for the 0% loan system which operates over here. You start paying it back when you're earning over £16,000 p.a. I believe Scotland is still free from tuition fees. The Mackintosh in Glasgow is meant to be a quality University. Also you get to leave home, an experience a lot of those D.I.T / U.C.D. graduates don't get!
CM00

Postby c_k_m » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:05 pm

cheers. that loan thing sounds sweet and ya leavin home will be cool...im gonna apply for DIT anyway..ill have to get about 145 points in my interview thing, and ill apply for a few scottish colleges aswell..mayb a few english ones too and see how i get on. Cheers for the replys folks!
c_k_m

Return to World Architecture