what's going up in Cobh

what's going up in Cobh

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 pm

THE_Chris wrote:Idiots. Absolute, complete, idiots.

I really wonder sometimes what these people are smoking.

Some idiots in the planning office though, jeez.

Spot on Chris. I have long been wondering my self ....especially in the greatest farce of them all: Cobh Town Council.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby THE_Chris » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Dont get me started on the Cobh Town Council :D
THE_Chris

Postby Praxiteles » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:29 am

I find it very odd that when the great and good of Cork were calculating the commercial profits deriving from "culture", at Cobh, a mere ten miles down river from the city, a serious and concerted effort to vandalise one of the most important cultural monuments in the State was well underway -indeed with the wholehearted support of some of the Corkonian good and great - and the whole affair did not as much as generate half of an inch of comment on the "cultural" columns of the quondam Cork Examiner. Indeed, I am not at all certain that the merchantile approach to "culture" displays anything of a cultured mind - certainly it would not be representative of a maecenas like Nicholas V or Sixtus IV or Julius II or Leo X or Lorenzo dei' Medici or even Guidobaldo da Montefeltro. Somehow, I do not see the name of J. Gavin joining that elite pantheon. Are we seriously expected to believe that Cork's committment to "culture" is not more than merely mercenary?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby samuel j » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:12 pm

Has anyone heard or seen anythiing on the Cobh Marina project. word on street is that it awaiting court decision in Oct.
samuel j

Postby goldiefish » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Praxiteles wrote:I find it very odd that when the great and good of Cork were calculating the commercial profits deriving from "culture", at Cobh, a mere ten miles down river from the city, a serious and concerted effort to vandalise one of the most important cultural monuments in the State was well underway -indeed with the wholehearted support of some of the Corkonian good and great - and the whole affair did not as much as generate half of an inch of comment on the "cultural" columns of the quondam Cork Examiner. Indeed, I am not at all certain that the merchantile approach to "culture" displays anything of a cultured mind - certainly it would not be representative of a maecenas like Nicholas V or Sixtus IV or Julius II or Leo X or Lorenzo dei' Medici or even Guidobaldo da Montefeltro. Somehow, I do not see the name of J. Gavin joining that elite pantheon. Are we seriously expected to believe that Cork's committment to "culture" is not more than merely mercenary?

WHat monument is that?
goldiefish

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 am

Cobh Cathedral!
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby goldiefish » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:34 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Cobh Cathedral!

Oh that? They are merely completing work that should have been done after Vatican II. If some people had their way the priest would still have his back to the congregation.

The loudest complainers are also those who would not set foot inside any place of worship apart from perhaps their own funeral.
goldiefish

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:50 pm

goldiefish wrote:Oh that? They are merely completing work that should have been done after Vatican II. If some people had their way the priest would still have his back to the congregation.

The loudest complainers are also those who would not set foot inside any place of worship apart from perhaps their own funeral.

Ah Goldiefish, that really is too much. Take a look at the BBC World Service link kindly added by Corcaighboy on Sunday 12 September and it should clarify a few things.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby goldiefish » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:04 pm

I think its fair to say that had the building of the Cathedral in the last century(and before) been subject to current planning legislation it would never have been built.
goldiefish

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:33 pm

That is a rather striking statement, especially when you consider that not even the most intransigent anti-Catholic bigotry of the time objected to clearing the slums that occupied the site of the Cathedral and regarded the project as a typical Victorian "improvement" scheme not only for the town but also for the country. Given the way Cobh Town Council functions, it would not surprise me that they would refuse planning permission for an "improving" measure.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Sirius » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Praxiteles wrote:That is a rather striking statement, especially when you consider that not even the most intransigent anti-Catholic bigotry of the time objected to clearing the slums that occupied the site of the Cathedral and regarded the project as a typical Victorian "improvement" scheme not only for the town but also for the country. Given the way Cobh Town Council functions, it would not surprise me that they would refuse planning permission for an "improving" measure.

Queenstown was a relatively prosperous town when work commenced on the Cathedral. The local inhabitants were doing quite well servicing the Royal Navy. The site of the Cathedral was anything but a slum – we would now consider it to be a national monument - but in the Realpolitik of the day it had to give way to Pugins handsome erection.
Sirius

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:36 pm

A bit weak on the old history Sirius!! Read it again...and we might learn something!
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby THE_Chris » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Social Welfare office in Cobh. Was posted here. Rofl.
THE_Chris

Re: Cork Harbour

Postby kite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:19 pm

descamps wrote:Kyte

Who got commended for designing the TV box?

The building was "highly commended" by the Opus Architecture Annual building awards sponsored by Bank of Ireland
kite

Postby Spinal Tap » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:20 pm

descamps wrote:Who are/is the "we"? You are expressing a personal opinion and nothing else. Others including myself find this contributor most interesting and informed. It's people like this "we" need to keep the likes of Cobh UDC on its toes.

I am sure that Cobh UDC are logging on here waiting with baited breath for our o.t.t. comments and observations..
Spinal Tap

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:29 pm

lawyer wrote:O.K. I withdraw the 'we'.
I have stated before that I do not live in Cobh nor do I know anybody on the Cobh Urban District Council. I do visit Cobh 2 or 3 times a week.
However, I think it is beyond the bounds of humour to make disparaging comments about individuals here. Personally I dont care a jot how many days holidays or when the gentleman referred to has taken.
I do think it would be stupid to build a water tower anywhered other than on high ground. The Garda Station was opened in April 2002 - 4 and a half years ago.!!. I agree the Social Welfare Office is horrid but I assume this was a Board Of Works construction that does not require planning permission.

You are a luck man not knowing anyone on (or in) the Cobh UDC.

No disparaging comments were made: anything said is a fact that can be verified under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act.

Just look at where they allowed the last water tower to be built. As for the other obtrusions, it takes time to get around to them - after all, Rome was not built in a day.

In a democracy, why should the Board of Works or any other state agency be above the law? Surely, all are equal under the law. And, as other have pointed out on this thread re what has been going on in Cobh, there is not an even pitch in operation when it comes to planning permission. Someone else pointed out that had he submitted plans to build the Telly-Tubby Box in exactly the same palce and to the same specifications, he would not have received permission. So why the BoW?

After all, the garda commissioner pays motor-tax on patrol cars as does the army.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:33 pm

kite wrote:The building was "highly commended" by the Opus Architecture Annual building awards sponsored by Bank of Ireland

Are the results available on the web?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Spinal Tap wrote:I am sure that Cobh UDC are logging on here waiting with baited breath for our o.t.t. comments and observations..

Nahhhhh. I doubt that they would have the imagination.

But, ar eagla na heagla, if they are, I hope they doing so on private rather than public time. After all, they get so little done on public time that we would not want to waste a second of it - just remember, the manageress could only spare 4 (FOUR) hours to read 214 objections. Try calculating the amount of time devoted to absorbing and ruminating the contnts of each submission!
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:46 pm

Spinal Tap wrote:Names should not be mentioned as prixiteles post got a bit personal.

BTW we are all fed up with Cobh UDC rants as they are getting more obscure and longwinded paragraphs of bile.

I could not agree more. Reading the minutes of the UDC meetings is a sorry chore and one not calculated to edify. Something should be done to put a bit of order on the Cobh UDC so that the ranting they come out with can be curtailed in favour of something more constructive.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:13 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Are the results available on the web?

http://www.irish-architecture.com/news/2006/000276.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby kite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:17 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Are the results available on the web?

Not sure Praxiteles, they are on tonights evening Echo
kite

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 pm

kite wrote:Not sure Praxiteles, they are on tonights evening Echo

Kite

Paul Clerkin came to the rescue and produced a link to the results of the Opus awards. Under "Heritage", I find the following:

"Heritage Award

Highly-Commended: Cobh Social Welfare Office, Cobh, Co Cork.
Office of Public Works / Cumman Construction."

If we are talking about the TV box, are we expected to believe that this is a piece o "heritage"?

Could it possibly be anything else?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Kite!

Here is the panel of judges for the 2006 Opus Awards:

"The 2006 judging panel with chairman Ciaran O'Connor were: Noel Dowley FRIAI; Roger Dunwoody, md emeritus of Dunwoody & Dobson; Eugene Cleary, joint managing director, Cleary Doyle; and Pearse Sutton, founding partner of O'Connor Sutton Cronin Consulting Engineers".
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby kite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:56 pm

[quote="Praxiteles"]Kite!

Here is the panel of judges for the 2006 Opus Awards:

"The 2006 judging panel with chairman Ciaran O'Connor were: Noel Dowley FRIAI]

:rolleyes: Magic mushrooms spring to mind,,,not the judges themselfs but what they must have been smoking.
kite

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:12 pm

Now, just to be clear about it -in case I have missed something - this is what was highly commended for a HERITAGE entry in the Opus Competition. Has THE_CHRIS seen this?
Praxiteles
Old Master

Next

Return to Ireland