Who should win the 2006 Stirling Prize?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Barajas Airport by Richard Rogers Partnership
27%
Brick House by Caruso St John Architects
15%
Evelina Children’s Hospital by Hopkins Architects
9%
Idea Store Whitechapel by Adjaye/Associates
9%
National Assembly for Wales by Richard Rogers
12%
Phaeno Science Center by Zaha Hadid Architects
28%

Total votes : 137

RIBA Stirling Prize 2006 shortlist

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:56 pm

RIBA Stirling Prize 2006 shortlist announced
The shortlist for the 2006 RIBA Stirling Prize has been announced. The following buildings will be visited in September by the RIBA Stirling Prize jury and the winner announced in October:

Barajas Airport by Richard Rogers Partnership
Brick House by Caruso St John Architects
Evelina Children’s Hospital by Hopkins Architects
Idea Store Whitechapel by Adjaye/Associates
National Assembly for Wales by Richard Rogers Partnership
Phaeno Science Center by Zaha Hadid Architects

http://www.architecture.com/go/Architecture/Also/Awards_2006.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: RIBA Stirling Prize 2006 shortlist

Postby what? » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:57 pm

Interesting. Rogers up for two.

So whos the favorite? the airport is the better of the two buildings , theyre both of the same Rogers ouvre. I think the Antwerp law courts is better than both but maybe it didnt make the deadline and will be in next time.

Zaha's science centre looked amazing when it was half built but i was dissapointed with the finished photos that i saw, particularily the interior.

I like the hopkins building definitely one of his better ecent buildings.

the idea store is an intensely un-inspiring building i am very surprised that this is in. i reckon it is more a nod to an important architect than the building itself.

for me the brick house is the best work of architecture on the list. materially and spatially it is beautiful. i think it would be the first private house to win if it did. ill go for it, followed by the airport.
what?

Postby PVC King » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:05 pm

I take a different view on the idea store and suggest that the given the postcode and client that the building is a very good piece of architecture given the probable budgetary constraints. I agree that the brick house is a very good piece of work and will be highly regarded by those within the profession as a very creative piece of work. The other projects are all very good civic projects that will have extensive impacts within their niche fields and I feel that the Welsh Assembley building will probably win on political grounds and if it does it will not be undeserved as it is a very fine piece of work that unlike the Scottish parliment was project managed very efficiently.

Are you going to do a poll this year?
PVC King

Postby Blisterman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Well, the only one, I've personally visited is the Idea Store by David Adjaye, which I would like to win, as I'm a fan of his work.
I can't imagine the Brick House being a very inviting house to live in, based on those photos..
Blisterman

Postby phil » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:06 am

Is there any images of the exterior of the Brick House available? Looks impressive on the inside, but would be great to see some views of the exterior too.
phil
Old Master

Postby what? » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Ive been to the Idea Store too, and its no more than a multi-story shed with colourded glass windows ( and not a very well made shed at that ). His private houses added to architectural discourse but as a stand alone building this one has very little of interest.

There is a picture of the roof of the brick house on ther cover of an AR a couple of months back. the whole idea of the house is about it being an internalised world on a tight infill site using normal materials in a very specific manner. so the main internal space pictured is what this house is about. it may not be the conservative's idea of the 'nicest' place to live but this building is by far the most vital in terms of freshness and excecution. all the others with the exception of rogers perhaps are jaded examples of buildings we have seen a thousand times before.
what?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:50 pm

The RIBA Stirling Prize is given for the RIBA Building of the Year. It is run in association with The Architects' Journal and is presented to the architects of the building which has been the most significant for the evolution of architecture in the past year.

The winning architect receives a cash prize of £20,000. The prize is named after the great British architect Sir James Stirling (1926-1992).

The shortlisted buildings are visited in September by the RIBA Stirling Prize jury, who reconvene on the afternoon of the RIBA Stirling Prize Dinner to make their final decision.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Who should win the 2006 Stirling Prize?

Postby Blisterman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:49 pm

Looks like Richard Rogers won it with the Barajas Airport.
Shame. It was probably my least favourite design.
Blisterman

Return to World Architecture