Queens Belfast

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Queens Belfast

Postby thegloriousend » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Hi, I have just spent my first year in Trinity studying russian and german but think I will transfer to Queens for architecture in September. I have a few questions though, is the school of architecture there any good? Where do they lay emphasis ie. creativitity or is it more mathematically orientated? and finally, as an architect in general what can be expected work load wise within the first year?
Thanks

Edit: sorry, have just noticed this is in the wrong thread
thegloriousend

Re: Queens Belfast

Postby tungstentee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 pm

queens very good technically, at the end of it you will know what a brick looks like, unlike some uk schools.
expect to be living off red bull coming up to crit deadlines even in first year.
competition is tough so be make an effort to be up to speed in computers in terms of graphics and 3d
there are a lot of evening courses in belfast that will teach 3d programs. They dont tend to teach this in queens - just your basic cad software.
belfast is a great city, but especially so around the queens area...stay out of the rough ones (youull know) but above all enjoy the course, the head of the course is a very sound guy
tungstentee

Postby experiMental » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:43 pm

first year wise the workload is relatively low, as you are just taught the basic principes of architecture, and also most of your work consists of project work. However, from second year onwards, the workload increases.

- Yuri
experiMental

Postby PVC King » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:46 pm

I have a couple of friends who did the course a couple of years ago they enjoyed the atmosphere on campus and had no problems getting local authority jobs when they returned home.
PVC King

Return to World Architecture