Parnell Square redevelopment

Re: Parnell Square redevelopment

Postby notjim » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:47 pm

Work seems to have already begun on opening the G of R from the north, can it really be so fast?
notjim

Postby GrahamH » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Yup - in fact it started a few months ago notjim.
The plans seem to have changed a bit from the direct gated entrance and flight of steps depicted in the Framework Plan. Now I think you walk through a gate onto an elevated railed platform which overlooks the garden, with access then gained via flights of steps sited at each side.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby TLM » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 pm

Does anyone have information on how things are progressing at the square? Thanks.
TLM

Postby StephenC » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:04 pm

They're not. I imagine the DCC will wait until September to get things moving although I understood that the CC had extended the contract of the group undertaking the O'Connell Street works to complete Parnell Square. I also understood that the final proposals for the Square were to go on public display but I never heard anything more.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby TLM » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:37 pm

Cheers for that, hopefully there'll be some movement soon!
TLM

Postby lostexpectation » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:58 pm

is this new?

http://www.dublincity.ie/press_news/press_releases/pr_-_parnell_square.asp

http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Parnell%20Square%20bookletc_tcm35-11289.pdf

more trees down in the garden of remembrance, what is it with street planners and wanting to replace everything with paving slabs? they easily put an entrance in the back without cutting a corner out of the park
lostexpectation

Postby notjim » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 pm

where does it say anything about cutting down trees in the GoR? i love this report, its so clever and ambitious.
notjim

Postby StephenC » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:12 pm

lostexpectation wrote:is this new?

more trees down in the garden of remembrance, what is it with street planners and wanting to replace everything with paving slabs? they easily put an entrance in the back without cutting a corner out of the park

No the plan has been around for a while now. You should read back a few pages. The plan for the north-west corner (Im assuming thats what you refer to) is for a small children playground if I am not mistaken. The new entrance to the GofR (currently under con struction ) is opposite the Hugh Lane
StephenC
Old Master

Postby a boyle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:19 pm

that playground seems like a really nice idea. it is about time that effort was put into making the city a better place to live and raise families, otherwise there will be no way to reverse the suburb mindset of people.
a boyle

Postby lostexpectation » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:29 pm

a boyle wrote:that playground seems like a really nice idea. it is about time that effort was put into making the city a better place to live and raise families, otherwise there will be no way to reverse the suburb mindset of people.

its going to very small, on that corner with a taxi rank nearby, a supposed hotel across the street,its not like its a residential area, what children are actually going to play there, that can't play in the rotundas garden, the refugees from the hostels across the street.
lostexpectation

Postby a boyle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:43 pm

it is a start.
a boyle

Postby notjim » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 pm

and what's wrong with refugee children using a playground?
notjim

Postby phil » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:57 am

I agree with Notjim. The building of a playground might indicate just how many children there are living in this area in need of a facility like this. Good to see it being given such a central location.
phil
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:00 pm

I agree too... how many parents shopping with the kids on Henry Street (and of course the soon to expand O'Connell Street) would like to skip off to a playground with the kids for an hour to relax. Kids running wild about the GofR is not really in keeping with the idea behind the garden. Parnell Street is meant to be developed as a cultural destination for all dubs, kids included. I think a playground here is a great idea.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Just a picture from the site's hoarding of the new entrance to the Garden of Remembrance, currently under construction:

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:04 pm

Quite like that.....
Being from Monaghan, I've spent a lot of time in the GoR while waiting on buses, and always loved the sunken area which is a great suntrap on blustery days.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby anto » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:26 pm

a boyle wrote:that playground seems like a really nice idea. it is about time that effort was put into making the city a better place to live and raise families, otherwise there will be no way to reverse the suburb mindset of people.

A lot of the suburbs don't have many playgrounds either. Amazing how there seems to be more golf courses than playgrounds in this country. New to this fatherhood thing so starting to notice things like playgrounds......
anto

Postby Lotts » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:39 am

anto wrote:....New to this fatherhood thing so starting to notice things like playgrounds......

Congratulations - I bet the next thing you're due to notice is the dog poo everywhere!
Lotts

Postby GrahamH » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:47 am

17/11/2006

The houses are finished.

Including the balconies as originally positioned:

Lovely traditional delicate design for the smaller house, while the larger one oddly features a modern pattern?

All the shiny bolts need to be painted - something for the snag list.

Also magnificent iron flourishes on the corners of the railings:

...if perhaps a little off in scaling? Maybe it's just the large gate next to it.

I don't think we've seen such attention to detail with railings in any reproduction in thirty years.

The completed doorcase of one of the two principal houses, with perhaps a little OTT Regency furniture:

(have a fanlight detail later)

The smaller far left-hand replica, the final house in a series of similar Georgian houses, has had an excellent reproduction doorcase installed:

An expert eye would be able to verify, but it would appear to be reconstitued stone given its very smooth surface, not to mention the complex detailing that would cost a fortune to execute in natural stone.

As can be seen, it's not identical to the one next door, but most of the doorcases in these smaller houses seem to have replaced the 18th century originals, given their current Regency character. This would fit with the fact that Gardiner's developments tended to attract fashion conscious merchant classes rather than stodgy old money. The amount of replacemnt plate glass about is also telling.

The door surround of this house and some brickwork did survive the demolitions though - alas it doesn't seem to have been incorporated into the new building. But overall a job exceedingly well done. Top marks to those responsible.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby TLM » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:03 pm

They look excellent ... I have high hopes for Parnell Sq and look forward to seeing how work on the G of R unfolds..
TLM

Postby jdivision » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:21 pm

I think they were done by Cosgrave Property Group, who are doing the development in behind them, which is probably why they look so good
jdivision

Postby lostexpectation » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:24 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0612/6news_av.html?2258278,null,230

not sure tha link will work tmw

The old Ierne Ballroom is back in business.

what building is this exactly? looked nice enough although the roof up high looked like cheep polystrene squares type roof which sort of ruined the grandeur
lostexpectation

Postby Rory W » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm

On the same side as Cassidy's Hotel that leads up to North Fredrick Street (Waltons Music Shop) near the Companies office.

You probably wont see it because of the Bus Terminus in front of it!
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:47 pm

If you walk down the back lane you can see the exterior of it.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:37 pm

10/9/2007

Well the OPW interventions to the Garden of Remembrance are nearing completion.

The crisp smooth granite does stand out against the rubble limestone finishes of the Garden - maybe it'll tone down in time. Indeed it doesn't seem to want to ape the character of the Garden at all.

The lighting columns are crisp and modern - oddly like pieces of a television set.

An element of the original 1960's design has been incorporated into the pattern on the glazed blaustrading.

Beautiful handrail detailing.

Presumably all of this will be replicated on the other side of the Garden when the Rotunda's newly opened grounds link directly into it.

While we're here, there's a great installation in the entrance hall of the Hugh Lane at the minute.

All pieces are individually suspended, making for a beautifully natural installation that's freakily alive!

Partially funded as it happens by the O'Connell Street IAP Community Gain Fund.

Last year's repainting is still as crisp and elegant as the day it was finished too.

GrahamH
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland