Which college- UCD or DIT?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Which college- UCD or DIT?

Postby Maud » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:14 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have been working for an architect for 5 years and in that time have ended up doing most of our design work, planning applications, tender drawings etc. Before working there I studied furniture design in DIT Mountjoy Sq. and before that I studied Fine Art for a year. Fine Art is what I really love and enjoy most but I would like to study to be an architect so that I can improve the man-built environment(which I mostly find depressing) and because I think I have potential in this field.

Anyway, I know from experience that DIT has extremely poor facilities. Th lecturers/tutors on the fine art course were amazing but on the design course they were really awful. As for facilities- we didn't even have a colour printer!!(this was less than 10 years ago).

I have been to UCD open days and really don't like the college. I mean, the actual building is horile- it's not like an art school. I doubt DIT Bolton St is a very stimulating artistic environment either. I don't feel very excited about either of those schools.

This worries me slightly because I'll have to fork out up to 5,000 euro a year on a course and it might not be all that good.

Can anyone help me with advice or their opinions on the two colleges please? I would really appreciate it.
Oh, another thing! I'm very settled in Ireland, about to get married so going abroad is not an option!
Maud

Re: Which college- UCD or DIT?

Postby Bren88 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:42 am

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, Recently talking to a girl form your old course on mountjoy square, and my impressions of it suggest that bolton street is higher standard of facilities. Have colour laser printers now and plotters. ;).
DIT has the advantage of beeing more like a working environment, with joint projects with architectural technology and so on. UCD has its status attached, but in the architectural world nobody cares, some people dislike it too.
And i'd hate to think what five years of studying in and looking at UCD would do to your imaginaton
Bren88

Postby Maud » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:28 am

Yes, that's what I'm worried about! My environment really affects me and if I have the wrong feeling about a place I don't know if I could be happy there. I don't feel excited about studying in either of those places but maybe DIT is betetr because it is near the city centre.

That said, I might not even get in anywhere!!
Maud

Postby shadow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:42 am

Best to go and visit the schools when in operation, see how crits are handled and visit the studios to talk with the students, and the libraries. If registered on ratemyprofessors.com this could help also.
shadow

Return to World Architecture