Developments in Cork

Developments in Cork

Postby A-ha » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 am

Having noticed that people are not taking an active interest since the opening of individual threads to replace our last Cork thread, I thought I would start a new one dealing with all aspects of Cork City, Metropolitan Area and County. I hope that this new thread will be used for Cork developments that don't fit into the Transport or Docklands threads as I would like to see both of them being used also.
A-ha

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby kite » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:13 am

A-ha wrote:Having noticed that people are not taking an active interest since the opening of individual threads to replace our last Cork thread, I thought I would start a new one dealing with all aspects of Cork City, Metropolitan Area and County. I hope that this new thread will be used for Cork developments that don't fit into the Transport or Docklands threads as I would like to see both of them being used also.

:) Well done A-ha, those other cork threads were in danger of falling off the radar they got so few people showing interest.
kite

Postby Spinal Tap » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:17 am

Well done ! Those sub-divided threads lacked focus and it was a stupid idea closing the "Developments in Cork thread in the first place".
Spinal Tap

Postby GrahamH » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Absolutely. Those individually tailored, topic-specific threads totally lack focus. In fact, they are so conducive to bluster and wandering off-topic as to make one long for the days of the clear head, logical progression, and varied debate of the Cork threads of yore.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:21 pm

:) :cool: I'm happy to have a proper Cork thread back
jdivision

Postby A-ha » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:45 pm

Thanks for all that, but I'm just looking forward to getting the latest on whats happening around the city. There seems to be building sites everywhere but never get to know what they are building until I come on here (someone always seems to know something I don't).
As I'm at it..... whats the story with HTD Studio's Tyndall Institute in the Docklands? It really is one of my favourits to get built.
A-ha

Postby Radioactiveman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks for taking the initiative AHA. Clearly the individual threads were not working! Nobody is going to open up an individual thread for the often small, seemingly insignificant bits of news that pops up on the 'Developments in Cork' threads- despite the fact that it all adds to creating one of the livliest threads on the site.

CCC have voted to dispose of that site on Popes Quay for the princely sum of one euro. In fairness, this talk of getting thousands for the site was a bit of a red herring given, to my knowledge, CCC had never owned the site up until the short time when they transferred the site to its new owner.
What I think is more relevant to this thread is the erection of a new wall/fence around the site. Does this destroy the view of the Civic Thrust building? Does it even having planning? Any info?
Radioactiveman

Postby orion » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:47 pm

Hope adm will not try to spilt up this new tread as Cork needs a source for all the gossip, its being a quite 2 weeks !!!
orion

Postby PVC King » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Radioactiveman wrote:CCC have voted to dispose of that site on Popes Quay for the princely sum of one euro.

Is that legal I had always understood the minimum legally enforceable consideration to be £1 which unless the law has been changed discounting this figure it could be in trouble.
PVC King

Postby kite » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Radioactiveman wrote:Thanks for taking the initiative AHA. Clearly the individual threads were not working! Nobody is going to open up an individual thread for the often small, seemingly insignificant bits of news that pops up on the 'Developments in Cork' threads- despite the fact that it all adds to creating one of the livliest threads on the site.

CCC have voted to dispose of that site on Popes Quay for the princely sum of one euro. In fairness, this talk of getting thousands for the site was a bit of a red herring given, to my knowledge, CCC had never owned the site up until the short time when they transferred the site to its new owner.
What I think is more relevant to this thread is the erection of a new wall/fence around the site. Does this destroy the view of the Civic Thrust building? Does it even having planning? Any info?

:rolleyes: The wall and railing was erected without planning, rentention was applied for with a senior planner recommending refusal, this was overturned by the "senior" planner and granted.
Retired city architect, Neil Hegarty appealed the grant of premission and Mr. Keohane withdrew from ABP.
The city manager proposed selling the site to Mr. Keohane for 1 euro which was passed by councillors last night by 21 votes to 5.
kite

Postby Radioactiveman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:58 pm

So what happens the wall/fence now?
Radioactiveman

Postby kite » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:13 pm

Radioactiveman wrote:So what happens the wall/fence now?

;) To quote the city manager, "that will be taken care of soon"
kite

Postby A-ha » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:10 pm

A €1.... did somebody bid for it on eBay or something. I would have gone to €1.25, but that would have been my limit. That's such a shame though. I really wanted to get to see that project through. Whats planned for the area now then?
A-ha

Postby kite » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:25 pm

A-ha wrote:A €1.... did somebody bid for it on eBay or something. I would have gone to €1.25, but that would have been my limit. That's such a shame though. I really wanted to get to see that project through. Whats planned for the area now then?

:cool: Nothing, the site is to stay as is, which is a HUGE improvement on what was there before.
Selling the site to Mr. K. was a great idea, the way it was carried through by the city manager and sold for 1euro is a scandal for the city and a huge (unnecessary) embarrassment for the buyer.
kite

Postby Maskhadov » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:40 pm

well done indeed. I am intrested in whats happening down in cork but some of those threads were way to long
Maskhadov

Postby PTB » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:15 am

kite wrote::cool: Nothing, the site is to stay as is, which is a HUGE improvement on what was there before.
Selling the site to Mr. K. was a great idea, the way it was carried through by the city manager and sold for 1euro is a scandal for the city and a huge (unnecessary) embarrassment for the buyer.

Who is Mr Keohane and why did he get hold of that building for just one euro?
PTB

Postby kite » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:47 am

PTB wrote:Who is Mr Keohane and why did he get hold of that building for just one euro?

:o Mr. Keohane is a well known (and respected) property developer and business man in the city. He turned what was an ugly eyesore into a beautiful landmark building.
I feel sure he would have been prepared to pay a fair price to enhance his property, but as the city manager confirmed on radio today (96fm), it was Mr.J.X. Miller (Civic Trust) and Mr. Joe Gavin, (City Manager) that instigated the deal from day one.
Shame that it is Mr. Kehoane that ends up with egg on his face on this issue.
kite

Postby daniel_7 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:09 pm

just wondering with the dunnes redevelopment on pana, is all the 14000sq metres for dunnes or will they be letting out some of the floors?
daniel_7

Postby yorktown » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:25 am

daniel_7 wrote:just wondering with the dunnes redevelopment on pana, is all the 14000sq metres for dunnes or will they be letting out some of the floors?

All Dunnes.......
yorktown

Postby shrink2cork » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Why will Maryborough Hill be closed to two way traffic for nine months to one year? Wait till the schools go back, then the fun will start.......

Can any one help?:confused:

And what about the "Second council official suspended over land deal" can any one put more light on this?

And well done to A -ha this is the best Thread, please keep it going:cool:
shrink2cork

Postby jdivision » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:57 pm

Frinailla's Victoria Cross scheme has been approved subject to conditions. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet. Code is 216418 of anybody wants to check pleanala.ie
jdivision

Postby jungle » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:51 pm

shrink2cork wrote:Why will Maryborough Hill be closed to two way traffic for nine months to one year? Wait till the schools go back, then the fun will start.......

It's going to be closed til 2007 because they are widenin the road there.
jungle

Postby kite » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:08 pm

jdivision wrote:Frinailla's Victoria Cross scheme has been approved subject to conditions. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet. Code is 216418 of anybody wants to check pleanala.ie

The IE had a story on this on Monday, ABP overturned their own inspector yet again to grant planning, anyone else feel that the frequency of appeals being overturned is alarming?
http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/07/11/story7985.asp
kite

Postby phatman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:18 pm

kite wrote:The IE had a story on this on Monday, ABP overturned their own inspector yet again to grant planning, anyone else feel that the frequency of appeals being overturned is alarming?
http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/07/11/story7985.asp

I think they have a point, though I am glad of some of the approvals.
phatman

Postby A-ha » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:20 pm

shrink2cork wrote:Why will Maryborough Hill be closed to two way traffic for nine months to one year? Wait till the schools go back, then the fun will start.......

And well done to A-ha this is the best Thread, please keep it going:cool:

Thanks for that shrink ;) . Maryborough Hill will be closed until March 2007 (I think) as they are putting in cycling lanes, bus lanes and in general just widening the road.
A-ha

Next

Return to Ireland