cork docklands

cork docklands

Postby lexington » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Cork's Docklands have been rumbling for quite sometime now, the South Docklands is still subject to a Local Area Plan being compiled by DTZ Pieda and scheduled for publication by late August - it will then seek approval after being put to the council and formalised hopefully by early October. Despite this, Cork City Council's work to date regarding the Docklands is only a micro-fraction of what will be required in successfully realising the outcome of the region. Further studies and plans, including a national and international marketing plan, yet await. Even so, exciting times are finally in motion and the heat is on to see who will input in this pivotal opportunity.

This post will be broken into 3 sections detailling some recent and not so recent progressions associated with the Cork Docklands Redevelopment.

Section One: The Maxol Group entice prospective Docklands developers with Site Sale!
Section Two: Development Progress.
Section Three: The Port of Cork
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section One: The Maxol Group entice prospective Docklands developers with Site Sale!

:o The Maxol Group, the Irish oil company owned by the McMullan family, have instructed agents CB Richard Ellis to offer their prime 0.3 acre docklands site bordered by the junctions of Centre Park Road, Victoria Road and Monahan's Road for sale. The site, which is zoned for Mixed-Use Development, stands and the gateway to the docklands proper and offers a fantastic opportunity to provide a building of prominence and stature which marks the entrance to Cork's South Docklands area. The closing date for Tenders is July 7th 2006, unless previously sold. The prospect of a striking landmark building is available to the successful bidder who may, subject to planning discussions, even avail of a slender, glazed tower element on the north-eastern corner of the site rising up to as much as 10-storeys (with the remainder of the development subject to the guideline height of 6-storeys). Justification for such a privision may be based on the site landmark/gateway location - subject to a strong design standard and planning discussions. However the Maxol site is also well positioned to form an important piece of a possible site assembly which may include the Shell Petrol Station to the south, yard to the west and warehousing again to the south - offering full sweep of this corner, gateway junction of Centre Park and Monahan Roads.

The site is highlighted below in yellow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section Two: Development Progress.

Indeed things are finally starting to hot up in Cork's Docklands - in advance of the publication of DTZ Pieda's South Docklands Local Area Plan - the lines are being steadily drawn as to whom will have an active say in the realisation of this dynamic new urban quarter.

Perhaps most notably, Howard Holdings have already positioned themselves in prime position following their acquisition of some of the docklands most important lands including the site formerly that of Southern Fruit along Centre Park Road (the site in excess of 2-acres was purchased over a year ago for €8m through agents Cohalan Downing Associates and extends onto the waterfront at Kennedy Quay) and the Ford Vehicle Distribution Centre site of 11-acres which they purchased for just under €30m only a few months back through Lisney Auctioneers. Interestingly, both sites are now being offered on Short Term Lease through Cohalan Downing Associates - the latter currently hosting the Live at the Marquee Event, sponsored by McCarthy Developments (another active Docklands party). Howard Holdings have also come to an agreement with the Reihill-family of Tedcastle Holdings on their enviable waterfront site of over 16-acres directly across Centre Park Road from the Ford site. Clearly Howard Holdings have made a strong assertment of their intentions to play the role of Key Developer in the South Docklands region...and they're not done yet.

Howard Holdings' acquired the 80,000sq ft + Southern Fruits site in 2004.

Having mentioned McCarthy Developments, the company which is headquartered at Centre Park House along the Centre Park Road is planning to forge ahead with its 8-storey, 100,000sq ft office scheme (over 211 basement car-parking spaces) designed by Murray O'Laoire Architects - for which it was granted planning last year. The scheme was initially in the bidding for tenancy of a relocated Revenue Commissioners, but is now set to proceed with an eye on the private market. The building will link to 6-storey Centre Park House and is to be built on lands acquired by McCarthy Developments from Goldcrop Holdings (purchased through Lisney for €2.2m in late 2004) and Advance Tyres. The scheme represents the 1st Phase in McCarthy Developments plans for the land, with a further phase earmarked for the site area backing out onto Monahan's Road.

Along Monahan's Road, a residential scheme by Niall Doris of the Beverly Smyth Group on his Nat Ross premises is currently in appeal which relates to conditions imposed on the grant for 95 apartment units and office space over 6-storeys and basement car-parking. Designed by SDA O'Flynn Architects, the scheme was originally proposed with a peak of 10-storeys, 99 apartments, 5-terraced houses and approximately 37,000sq ft of office space.

Nearby, also along Monahan's Road, O'Shea Leader Consulting Engineers and Design are in planning for a 5-storey office scheme designed in-house at a former bunker facility of over 1-acre. O'Shea Leader purchased the site through DTZ Sherry FitzGerald last year for €2m and are awaiting a decision by Cork City Council on their 130,000sq ft over basement car-parking proposal.

Further up the road, SHUL Developers have completed their Wilson Architecture designed office scheme on the lands of Tellenganna Lodge. With lettings to clients including Citco, 10,000sq ft of space remains available for letting - while the developer nears planning for a further 150,000sq ft of office/commercial space on an adjoining 3-acre site fronting Monahan's Road - again Wilson Architecture are behind the design.

Not far away, Denis McSweeney also awaits a decision on a 5-storey residential scheme for about 30 apartments on the former McSweeney's Yard across the road from the Cork Showgrounds...

...and speaking of the Showgrounds, Cork City Council has issued a landmark CPO on the lease of the site by the Munster Agricultural Society. The CPO is designed, according to City Manager Joe Gavin, to protect the council-owned lands, for recreational and leisure uses. The action was undoubtedly advanced in light of approaches by Fleming Construction to the Munster Agricultural Society with offers of a land-swap deal which would have relocated the MAS to a site bounded by the Ballincollig By-Pass at Curraheen and included the provision of a large indoor event centre, equestrian arena and other facilities. Meanwhile, Fleming Construction would have sought to redevelop this invaluable site in a multi-million euro mixed scheme. Despite the CPO issue, Fleming Construction are understood to still have a strong interest to role-play in Cork's Docklands. With the prospect of a return to Cork City Council control, the gateway is opened to plans by the Gaelic Athletic Association to redevelop Pairc Ui Chaoimh as a striking 50,000-seater stadium in a €100m project which would involve ancillary leisure and hotel elements to boot! However the progress and availability of funding for such a scheme to the GAA remains unknown.

Vital to the South Docklands area will be the provision of the Water Street Bridge of which Cork City Council are understood to have completed a feasibility study and are now reviewing options. The provision of a striking, opening bridge will be most important in terms of access and transport to the redevelopment zones of the docklands. Design quality will be important in the interest of protecting the visual sensitivity of the area.

On Water Street, the much beleaguered scheme is still with An Bord Pleanala - the once ambitious scheme, first posited at 26-storeys, then 19, then 17, has been cut to a peak of 9-storeys and 233 units. Linked parties hold high anticipation for the September 2006 decision date - again designed by Murray O'Laoire Architects, if successful, work will begin imminently and divide into 2 phases with the eastern site (former Port of Cork site) commencing work first, allowing McMahon's Timber Yard relocate - the remaining site to the west will then be completed. Across Water Street...

...Horgan's Quay, the much delayed, much anticipated, scheme by Manor Park Homebuilders and CIE is - it is said - quite possibly due in planning before the end of the summer. A 10-year permission for approximately 1,300 apartments, boardwalk, commercial retail centre, office provision and new rail terminus with bus-related facilities will be jointly sought. O'Mahony Pike Architects have been charged with the design following appointment through competition. As for the event centre, depending on negotiations, a subsequent application may be lodged seperately by a third party developer for such a scheme thereafter. The fine details remain to be cleared.

Backing onto Saint Patrick's Quay, Paul Kenny's much praised The Treasury office scheme - designed by Wilson Architecture - is expected to head for construction come mid-to-late August (although this remains to be confirmed). Across the river, plans on another Wilson Architecture designed office scheme - this time for O'Callaghan Properties and on Anderson's Quay - are formulating steadily.

Back to the South Docklands, perhaps to most prominent and striking land holdings, that of IAWS are gearing up a development review. IAWS through their consultants The Matrix Partnership, have investigated zoning issues associated with their lands and it was believed that CEO Phillip Lynch has met with some property figures around Cork (and elsewhere) however the contents of these meetings are unknown. The lands have been recently valued by the company in their entirety at a steep €150m - the various lots will likely become available for development in a phased basis, and in line with progress made on activity relocation. Though still strongly active along Kennedy Quay, IAWS has investigated its options to relocate current activities to lands in their possession at Ringaskiddy - the same appraisal has been undertaken by neighbouring business Southern Milling. Exciting prospects await.

Back up Centre Park Road, could Gerry Barrett of Edward Holdings find some use to his involvement with the Topaz Energy takeover of Statoil Ireland and find some use for the valuable Shell Ireland lands in the docklands? Who knows??? However, what is known, is that the barrage of recent activity in Cork's Docklands is carefully drawing lines now around who will say what and how in this vital region. The outcome of which will no doubt be intriguing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section Three: The Port of Cork

The Port of Cork, along with appointed consultants RPS Group, are progressing with their relocation and expansion plans to their lands at Ringaskiddy. As an important economic driver to the Southern Region, the relocation strategy will be of the utmost importance for the Port if it is the continue its development and provide the best available facilities to its market. Masterplans are still under review on the phased development which is expected to cost upwards of €200m to realise. This significant investment will help secure the Port's standing and edge in maritime commercial and leisure activities. The development will begin with work, including extensive drudging, along the Oyster Bank portion of the Ringaskiddy lands - provision will be made here for an extensive new Container Terminal. South of this plan, new provision will be made for a multi-purpose Roll-On/Roll-Off Berth and Storage - both these areas are highlighted in the aerial image below.

Additional expansion efforts will be concentrated on lands to the east of these zones. The scheduling of this move will depend on a number of variables - not least the provision of the new 13km Cork/Ringaskiddy Dual-Carriageway (which is progressing through the planning process), pace of Docklands development and financial flows. It is expected for significant progress to be made in the near future.
lexington
Old Master

Re: developments in cork

Postby POM » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:23 pm

kite wrote::)
What I meant by direct type labor is that Tom McCarthy’ Mills development and his and Tom Kelly’s Kingsley development are been directed by their own management team.
Any snags or penalties fall back on the owners, not the builder, engineers etc. An unusual way of doing business on developments of this size I would think?

Gotcha! Wasn't too sure on what you meant.

Interesting stuff on the docklands Lex. Its nice to see some progress. The pace does seem to be heating up, I just hope this materialises with imagination and applications.
POM

Re: developments in cork

Postby who_me » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:14 pm

Great info about the docklands lexington, thanks.

That said, given the way most upcoming developments are being eviscerated in transit through planning, are we going to see a more lenient/adventurous approach for the South Docklands? I'd much prefer to see a variation in height too, rather than a cluster of 6-10 story cuboid blocks. A little variety in materials used wouldn't go far astray either.

Incidentally, is the riverside along the docks currently private property? I'd love to go for a stroll down there to the Marina walk, just to take a look close up, but I don't know if it's off limits. (And no smart comments about going for a stroll down the docks either lads! ;) )
who_me

Re: cork docklands

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Does the docklands have any existing retainable building stock, or is it all going to be cleared?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:56 am

the odlums building could be redevloped, interesting facade. R&H hall could be redeveloped as well, but it'd be a lot of work. most of the rest is sheds and silos.
sw101

Postby PTB » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:26 am

Yes the Odlums building reminds me of the OXO tower building in London. It wouldnt be bad idea to preserve a little of what is in the docklands to remind people of it's formor purpose.

I'm not as keen to hold on to the R&H Hall silos. I'ld rather destroy them and build similar sized buildings in their place. I also dont like them as I had a dream recently in which the silos were the Ministries in the book 1984 by George Orwell which I was reading at the time. I was taken in to the silo and had my eyebrows shaved and they replaced my teeth with popcorn. So If it means that those dreams wont re-occur i'm all for destruction of them
PTB

Postby A-ha » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:59 am

The Odlums building looks as if it could be converted into really nice and modern apartments. Keep the facade, do up the interior and you've got what they've been doing in Liverpool for years. I've never really noticed how nice that building was, but those photos show it's beauty. I don't think there is much hope for R&H Hall...... although I always thought that if they lit it up at night with coloured lights, it might look pretty cool.
A-ha

Postby a boyle » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:35 am

that concrete building pictured would be a great museum(modern, transport ?) there is a similarly orwellian hulk in london that was transformed.

But no chance of that happening here in ould ireland.
a boyle

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:08 am

Odlums looks like a two stage building - anyone know the history?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby phil » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:59 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:Odlums looks like a two stage building - anyone know the history?

Yeah, it looks like a late 19th C. bottom with a 1920s/30s piece put on to the top of it.

I can also see the resemblance to the Oxo building in London. The Oxo is a very interesting set-up, as it is operated by the Coinstreet community builders. The building is mainly social housing with commercial enterprise used as a source of funding.

http://www.coinstreet.org/
phil
Old Master

Postby Spinal Tap » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:32 pm

a boyle wrote:that concrete building pictured would be a great museum(modern, transport ?) there is a similarly orwellian hulk in london that was transformed.

But no chance of that happening here in ould ireland.

Hang in there - these things take a lot of time and while nothing seems to be happening on the ground in the Docklands an awful lot of deals are being done behind the scenes.As with the planning prosess in this business you have to be patient.Imaginative proposals are in the pipeline.
Spinal Tap

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:16 pm

phil wrote:Yeah, it looks like a late 19th C. bottom with a 1920s/30s piece put on to the top of it.

I can also see the resemblance to the Oxo building in London. The Oxo is a very interesting set-up, as it is operated by the Coinstreet community builders. The building is mainly social housing with commercial enterprise used as a source of funding.

http://www.coinstreet.org/

The top part of the cork building looks fabulous, pity they weren't side by side...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Spinal Tap » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 pm

This is a landmark building on Kennedy Quay. The original grain store, the lower half of the building, was built some time in the late 19th/early 20th century. In 1934 the top portion was added when R&H Hall, JW Green & Co. and Suttons installed a flourmill in the building.

The key to the attraction of this building is the integration of its two halves, the harmonious transition from traditional to modern warehouse. In the 1934 extension, care was taken to provide some continuity from the original design to the new. This continuity can be seen in the vertical emphasis created by the lower windows and continued to the upper wall windows where the brick piers are aligned with the lower piers. The elevation is arranged symmetrically around the middle where an Art Deco limestone moulding symbolically joins the two parts of the building. The moulding may be an abstraction of four sheaves of corn. (Harrington & Miller c. 2000)
Spinal Tap

Postby A-ha » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:12 pm

Is the Odlums building listed? I'd hate to think that it might actually be knocked down. As for the museum a boyle, I can see where your coming from. It could be made into the Battersea or Tate Modern of Cork.
A-ha

Postby a boyle » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:27 pm

that is a large building , and as such extremely valuable . You would have to get a petition going now , or at least the support of some tds (suspect that fianna fail would be more usefull :) :) :) )

Other wise it is unrealistic to expectic to become a museum or gallery or anything but appartments. You would need to secure a half decent amount of art in the first place. (almost all the museum/and galleries are bursting with stuff, they are in the pale however ---- good luck !!!)

I have to say that odlums buildings does not get the pass mark from me , tear it down . (it is possible that is looks better in the flesh ! )
a boyle

Postby phil » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:18 am

A-ha wrote:Is the Odlums building listed? I'd hate to think that it might actually be knocked down. As for the museum a boyle, I can see where your coming from. It could be made into the Battersea or Tate Modern of Cork.

It would appear that it is listed. It would seem to be the only building with such status on Kennedy Quay.

http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/planning/record_protected_structures.shtml
phil
Old Master

Re: Cork Docklands

Postby A-ha » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Thank God, I'm really after taking a liking to it. I can only imagine what it would look like if it was renovated. It would make a good museum, but apartments seem to be written all over it.
A-ha

Postby daniel_7 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:03 pm

i was walking over patricks bridge the other day and looking down out the harbour and just thinking when the docklands really gets going and the r &h buildings and that area starts to be renovated its going to look class! Thats hoping the council dont think small in planning and high rise apartments play some part!
daniel_7

Postby jungle » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:51 pm

What is the timeframe for completion of the Water Street bridge? I seem to remember construction starting in 2007 was proposed at one point, is that still feasible?

Without that bridge, a redeveloped docklands will be quite painful for people in the Albert Rd area with all the extra traffic generated. Issues like that can raise local residents hackles unnecessarily.

Also, there's likely to be an increase in the level of traffic truning right off Albert St. This could jam up through traffic on the South Link Road. Would it not make more sense to force Docklands/Blackrock bound traffic down Eglinton St and Albert Quay (Has it been renamed?) ?
jungle

Re: Cork Docklands: Here We Go...

Postby malec » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:35 pm

lexington wrote:

:o The Maxol Group, the Irish oil company owned by the McMullan family, have instructed agents CB Richard Ellis to offer their prime 0.3 acre docklands site bordered by the junctions of Centre Park Road, Victoria Road and Monahan's Road for sale. The site, which is zoned for Mixed-Use Development, stands and the gateway to the docklands proper and offers a fantastic opportunity to provide a building of prominence and stature which marks the entrance to Cork's South Docklands area. The closing date for Tenders is July 7th 2006, unless previously sold. The prospect of a striking landmark building is available to the successful bidder who may, subject to planning discussions, even avail of a slender, glazed tower element on the north-eastern corner of the site rising up to as much as 10-storeys (with the remainder of the development subject to the guideline height of 6-storeys). Justification for such a privision may be based on the site landmark/gateway location - subject to a strong design standard and planning discussions. However the Maxol site is also well positioned to form an important piece of a possible site assembly which may include the Shell Petrol Station to the south, yard to the west and warehousing again to the south - offering full sweep of this corner, gateway junction of Centre Park and Monahan Roads.

The site is highlighted below in yellow.

Sounds great but who wants to bet the 10-storey element will get cut back to 6.
malec

Postby A-ha » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Six! The way things carry on in this country it will probably be made into a bungalow. I still don't know how Eglinton St. is being built.... 80m including the spire (someone must have been given a brown envelope).
A-ha

Postby kite » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:49 pm

A-ha wrote:Six! The way things carry on in this country it will probably be made into a bungalow. I still don't know how Eglinton St. is being built.... 80m including the spire (someone must have been given a brown envelope).

:rolleyes: Steady on now,,there are enough tribunals going on in Dublin....don't involve Cork?:o :eek:
kite

Postby Pug » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:54 am

any news on Docklands and the tender on the Maxol site?

(This is also an effor to keep this thread going - splitting up the Cork Devt thread wasnt great in my humble opinion)
Pug

Postby Pug » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:27 am

in the examiner today, 20,000 sq ft warehouse fronting Albert Quay adjacent to the IAWS silos, up for sale by auction on Oct 11 with guide price €4.5m.
Pug

Postby jungle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 pm

I got to visit the Cardiff Bay development recently and it got me wondering about what we would like to see in Cork Docklands. So far, what has been done there has been mostly for recreational use with plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants, tours of the bay, Techniquest, a theatre, a planned national sports centre etc. Although, I had an opportunity to talk to one of the planners who said that they would be looking to put in more employment based development in the future.

In comparison with the dreariness which is the IFSC it really opened my eyes as to what could be achieved in an urban redevelopment project like this.

Traditionally, in Ireland, we have been poor at providing recreational amenities and I fear a situation in the docklands where we have dense office development with some apartments and little of interest otherwise.

Considering there are similar proposals for Galway (and presumably elswhere) I had even considered starting a separate thread on this topic.

Also, I'll try to put up some pictures of the Cardiff Bay Development when I recover the cable that connects my camera to the computer. The Millenium Centre is a stunning building and the National Assembly (the Assembly itself, not the godawful assembly offices behind it) also deserves to be seen.
jungle

Next

Return to Ireland