New architecture course in CIT/UCC

World architecture... what's happening generally....

New architecture course in CIT/UCC

Postby Zygnoth » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Hello all,

I've have recently being looking at the new BSc in Architecture in UCC and CIT. I am a little confused regarding the length of the course, which is four years. I'm currently trying to compare this versus courses in DIT and UCD, which seem to be three years for something equivalent. However, I have seen courses in the past which are four years but this includes a year's worth of external work, generally undertaken in the Easter term of 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

Lastly, I am also curious as to whether the course in UCC/CIT is recognised by any significant body. On the website, it indicates that the course has been designed with the Southern Office of the RIAI. However, it does not reference any exemptions from entrance examinations to the same body. This could be rectified by the time the course is completed but is there any guarantee of this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Z
Zygnoth

Re: New architecture course in CIT/UCC

Postby sw101 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:57 am

the award for the 4 year course is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Architecture, which isn't the Bachelor of Architecture that DIT and UCD award. the blurb says that you are eligible for entry to a masters course in architecture, but i would check the info with the RIAI before commiting to it.

i don't really understand why they didn't just establish a 5 year course for a B. Arch. any graduate will be at a disadvantage to UCD, DIT and QUB grads.
sw101

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:33 pm

What about the course in Limerick?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:50 pm

it's a 5 year undergraduate course. last i heard it hadn't been accredited by the RIAI so it won't give you the equivalent of the UCD or DIT B.Arch degrees. no reason it won't get the part 2 accreditation though.
sw101

Postby rira » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:12 pm

the idea is that it's a four year hins degree equivilantish to the BSc in UCD and that you then go on to do a masters in Architecture equivilant to BArch

I don't know why they messed around with the standard but that's it

And I think that it can't be recognised fully by RIAI til there are graduates, is that right? check UL because they'd be in the same situation if it was
rira

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:23 pm

rira wrote:that you then go on to do a masters in Architecture equivilant to BArch

A masters is not equivelant to a B.Arch. And weither the cork degree will get you into a masters programme is upto the institute that runs masters.
Bren88

Postby rira » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:21 am

in terms of professional recognition thatts the plan
and CIT/UCC plan to run the masters so I'm assuming that all those with a pass would be admitted, although perhaps not?!
rira

Postby Bren88 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:04 am

I'd imagine that they would only allow the higher end of the scale. Probably be less places in the honor program. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Bren88

Postby architectureJK » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:25 pm

How does the new course at Waterford IT compare with Limerick and Cork, 3 years for a BSc ARCH (Hons) and 5 years for a B. Arch (Hons)
architectureJK

Return to World Architecture