developments in cork

Re: developments in cork

Postby ewankennedy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:24 pm

I wonder how advanced the GAA are actually on redevelopment plans for Pairc ui chaoimh. If it just suggestive we could be years away yet. And i also have to agree that in principle Horgans qy seems great for an event centre but the site seems to small and any centre there would seem very congested. I still think that the Showgrounds site at the western end could be better used for such a facility and the rest of the place could be a park.
ewankennedy

Postby daniel_7 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:10 pm

just read in the paper the other day that as part of the docklands strategy there is to be something to be incorporated into the plan to attract more tourism to cork like a interactive science museam or something stupid like that!i think that they should stick to something reliable and something that is proven to work. As long as they think creative when planning the docklands and not as if they were planning some small scale development(which alot of the planners in cork seem to do on most projects) and give us a highly attractive waterfront especially as there is planning for a 27 story tower in drogheda and incorporate a temple bar type development maybe around the station square(as cork is also badly behind when it comes to nightclubs) and these factors together would make cork a very attractive place to market for a short break city getaway!
daniel_7

Postby Pug » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:47 pm

[quote="daniel_7"]just read in the paper the other day that as part of the docklands strategy there is to be something to be incorporated into the plan to attract more tourism to cork like a interactive science museam or something /[quote]

an interactive science museum
a nationl design centre and
a national maritime museum
Pug

Postby Radioactiveman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:43 pm

daniel_7 wrote:just read in the paper the other day that as part of the docklands strategy there is to be something to be incorporated into the plan to attract more tourism to cork like a interactive science museam or something stupid like that!...........and incorporate a temple bar type development maybe around the station square(as cork is also badly behind when it comes to nightclubs) and these factors together would make cork a very attractive place to market for a short break city getaway!

Whats so wrong with an interactive science museum? Every develped country has at least one, most many more....I guess we can always bring the kids to this 'new temple bar'! No thanks.
Radioactiveman

Postby Bourgeoise » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:51 pm

daniel_7 wrote:just read in the paper the other day that as part of the docklands strategy there is to be something to be incorporated into the plan to attract more tourism to cork like a interactive science museam or something stupid like that!i think that they should stick to something reliable and something that is proven to work. As long as they think creative when planning the docklands and not as if they were planning some small scale development(which alot of the planners in cork seem to do on most projects) and give us a highly attractive waterfront especially as there is planning for a 27 story tower in drogheda and incorporate a temple bar type development maybe around the station square(as cork is also badly behind when it comes to nightclubs) and these factors together would make cork a very attractive place to market for a short break city getaway!

Certainly has to be some attraction other than the usual retail experience. Certainly a section of the national museum,maritime museum , aquarium or art gallery may help.
Cable car to top of Patricks Hill with a new park might help bring back the trams anything to get interest in the place.
Imagination has to be used with Cork and you can have huge nightclubs anywhere like the Temple Bar nightmare model.
Bourgeoise

Postby Radioactiveman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Marks and Spensers have been given permission for a new shopfront on St. Patricks Street. This is in keeping with recent refurbishment work done on the interior.

I'm off on holidays!! Hope to have lots of exciting news when I get back!
Radioactiveman

Postby PTB » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Sorry Bourgeoise, where is there space for a cable car up patricks hill??

Like the idea of a maritime Musuem though
PTB

Postby theblimp » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Just a little interesting add-on to my earlier comments. This year's Live at the Marquee has moved, I understand, from the Showgrounds to Howard Holding's recently acquired 'Ford Site' alongside. Now my sources could be incorrect (although I doubt it) but it is ALLEGED that Mr. Gavin was one of the parties involved in convincing Aikens that such a move would be in their interests (It is BELIEVED that JG negotiated the HH site for Aikens at no cost, whereas the Showgrounds would have involved a payment), thus removing a valuable cash injection to a voluntary organisation, and aiding a commercial developer at the same time - all at a VERY interesting time in that part of the city. IF true, then perhaps my earlier comments could be viewed in a more informed light !
theblimp

Postby kite » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:05 pm

theblimp wrote:Just a little interesting add-on to my earlier comments. This year's Live at the Marquee has moved, I understand, from the Showgrounds to Howard Holding's recently acquired 'Ford Site' alongside. Now my sources could be incorrect (although I doubt it) but it is ALLEGED that Mr. Gavin was one of the parties involved in convincing Aikens that such a move would be in their interests (It is BELIEVED that JG negotiated the HH site for Aikens at no cost, whereas the Showgrounds would have involved a payment), thus removing a valuable cash injection to a voluntary organisation, and aiding a commercial developer at the same time - all at a VERY interesting time in that part of the city. IF true, then perhaps my earlier comments could be viewed in a more informed light !

;)
The same names seem to crop up in Cork time and time again theblimp.
I share your concerns…enough said!!
kite

Postby Bourgeoise » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:14 am

PTB wrote:Sorry Bourgeoise, where is there space for a cable car up patricks hill??

Like the idea of a maritime Musuem though

Up in the air boy ! :) Cork needs a few dynamic ideas in art,architecture create interest and excitement in a city with so much potential.
Or a tram system similar to Lisbon and San Francisco.........???
Bourgeoise

Postby Pug » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:23 pm

frinaillas keating site is up for a decision today isnt it?
Pug

Postby kite » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:08 pm

ABP overturned the decision of their Inspector and granted permission to Messrs Crowley and Paul to develop Riverside Farm on the Model Farm Road.

Cumnor Construction saw the overturning of an ABP inspector as well today to allow them develop the old convent site at the Ramparts, Kinsale.
kite

Postby ISI » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:49 pm

Passed by jacobs Mill today. It looks like they are putting in really nasty, small white PVC windows.
ISI

Postby who_me » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:02 pm

God, between the PVC windows and that awful roof, could they possibly have done a less sympathetic job on the place? I'd have expected a higher standard, especially given it's location in one of Cork's "signature views", with Parliament bridge and the Holy Trinity church in the background.
who_me

Postby kite » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:57 pm

who_me wrote:God, between the PVC windows and that awful roof, could they possibly have done a less sympathetic job on the place? I'd have expected a higher standard, especially given it's location in one of Cork's "signature views", with Parliament bridge and the Holy Trinity church in the background.

:mad:
Good Planning practice
X quality materials = Reasonable profits
Sympathy to existing buildings

As opposed to…..

Bad Planning practice
X cheap materials = Massive profits +??
Not giving a damm to existing build structure

(sorry, the copy and paste above did not come out as i tought it would)
kite

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:45 pm

...speechless...
d_d_dallas

Postby ISI » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:02 pm

From Lexinton's blog spot. This was the 'vision'.

"Developer Tom McCarthy and his wife Michelle McCarthy are devising plans to convert their Jacob's Mill development to use as a luxury 5-star 35-bedroom boutique hotel. The former mill has lain idle along Father Matthew Quay for almost 45-years and is currently being rejuvenated by contractors O'Flynn of Banteer on Mr. McCarthy's behalf. The refurbishment design is being handled by Murray O'Laoire Architects with G+A Architects handling interior designs. The redevelopment was originally scheduled to accommodate apartment usage, however a subsequent application will seek a change of use to hotel operations - and the conversion of plans to accommodate 35 bedrooms. It is believed the 20 space parking structure will be retained. The hotel is earmarked to be titled 'Jacob's Country House Hotel'.

Could Tom and Michelle explain where white PVC comes in?
ISI

Postby ISI » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:12 pm

Image Image
ISI

Postby kite » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:28 pm

ISI wrote:From Lexinton's blog spot. This was the 'vision'.

"Developer Tom McCarthy and his wife Michelle McCarthy are devising plans to convert their Jacob's Mill development to use as a luxury 5-star 35-bedroom boutique hotel. The former mill has lain idle along Father Matthew Quay for almost 45-years and is currently being rejuvenated by contractors O'Flynn of Banteer on Mr. McCarthy's behalf. The refurbishment design is being handled by Murray O'Laoire Architects with G+A Architects handling interior designs. The redevelopment was originally scheduled to accommodate apartment usage, however a subsequent application will seek a change of use to hotel operations - and the conversion of plans to accommodate 35 bedrooms. It is believed the 20 space parking structure will be retained. The hotel is earmarked to be titled 'Jacob's Country House Hotel'.

Could Tom and Michelle explain where white PVC comes in?

:o
The Midas touch seems to have deserted Tom McCarthy at the moment, his Kingsley Hotel project is gone down “UGLY Street” as well as Jacobs Mills.
kite

*Updates*

Postby lexington » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:27 pm

If any of the content below has been posted already (and I know some of it has) - please accept my apologies in advance; just posting for my own records as much as anyone else. Still jet-lagged and attempting a world record for longest a person has gone without sleep before hallucinating. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:o Bernard Crowley & Gerard Paul have been greenlit to develop 49 new apartment units over a 6-storey building designed by Dennehy + Dennehy Designs. An Bord Pleanala cleared the revised scheme (with conditions) set for the former Riverside Farm site along the Model Farm Road opposite the recently redeveloped Tennis Village complex (now Eden Hall). As part of the scheme the developers will be obliged to make realignments to the what is currently a dangerous bend on the heavily trafficked roadway - thus providing a safer routeway for pedestrians and motorists alike. Additional details on this scheme may be found in earlier posts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:cool: Frinailla's plans to develop 96 residential units and a creche over basement car-parking for the former Keating's Bakery site along the Tramore Road have seen Further Information requested of them. The scheme provides a mix of couple and family units between 1 and 5-storeys designed by Kiosk Architects.

- meanwhile the other Frinailla/Kiosk Architects collaboration at CitySquare along the Watercourse Road in Blackpool is now watched over by a 2nd John Paul Construction tower crane. Interestingly is the banner which hangs for the new tower crane displaying the new Frinailla logo in place of the usual John Paul Construction symbol.

:o Billy and Ciaran O'Riordan, proprietors of the Millfield Service Station, have enlisted James Leahy & Associates to design their recently lodged scheme of 54 mixed apartments and seperate office block over basement car-parking and including all associated ancillary amenity areas along the Redforge Road located petrol station in Blackpool. The project will be divided over 2 blocks rising to 6/7-storeys. The scheme should help build on this fast emerging area currently anchored by the Shipton Group's Blackpool Park scheme.

:o Much anticipation has pent up regarding Rockfell Investments' Cornmarket Street scheme, however, a positive progression has been made today as William O'Brien Crane Hire were in action over the large site today erecting the first-section of a tower crane on behalf of Munster Joinery. Meanwhile, further progress is in swing along this prime potential street with Cork City Council having tendered for architectural and engineering design concerns regarding the street's rejuvenation as previously posted.
lexington
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:04 am

"...their Jacob's Mill development to use as a luxury 5-star 35-bedroom boutique hotel..."

says it all. how can it be 5 star and yet be a boutique hotel? Don't think there's many of either around with such an atrocious and ignorant approach to reusing existing structures. ESPECIALLY on such an important vista on the South channel.
d_d_dallas

Postby ISI » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:04 am

I don't know how this act of vandalism was allowed happen.
ISI

Postby ISI » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:19 pm

I was down by the quay so I took a few photos of progress on the School of Music.

Image Image
ISI

Postby lisam » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:35 pm

jacobs - the original planning drawings specified timber windows!!!
lisam

Postby lexington » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:08 am

:o Interesting to see the Painting & Decorating company has moved retailling from a wonderful redbrick premises at the corner of Parnell Place and Lower Oliver Plunkett Street, formally called Nelson's Quay. The business has relocated to a suburban business park and leaves open the possibility of a sensitive (very sensitive) renewal opportunity at this location. Arthur O'Connor who possesses a pivotal corner site directly opposite Nelson's Quay (across Oliver Plunkett Street) has set about refurbishing the building's upper floors into a residential townhouse - pity that this entire corner from the Barber Shop around the corner and back to Deane Street hasn't seen redevelopment activity to date - as this area is out of sync and an eye-sore on what could be an better measure and more tasteful larger scale development. However that may soon change.

:o Also interesting is Gerry Barrett (of Edward Holdings/Monogram Hotels) and his involvement backing Topaz Energy's acquisition of Statoil Ireland for the €285m. Topaz Energy, which is majority held by Ion Equity, and is already active in forecourt trading through its Shell Ireland operation will likely seek to merge activities between the 2 brands. As part of the acquisition, Topaz attains Statoil Distribution facilities in Dublin, Cork and Galway, among other centres. It would be interesting to see if merged trading activities free-up lands here for development. Notably, it could allow in activity transfers by Shell to more accessible Statoil facilities (such as those at the Tivoli Docks) - an example like that of Shell's Cork Docklands facility could be a possibility. Currently Shell engages in costly distribution transfers of its deposits between facilities in Cork by vessels (petroleum is refined at its Ringaskiddy facility and transported to Centre Park Road for distribution - operationally it would make more sense to locate a distribution centre closer to the source of refinement or at a more accessible site; petroleum is offloaded on the quays at Marina Commercial Park and pumped across Centre Park Road to its distribution facility). It may make long term sense to wind up activity at the Docklands site in light of a new facility gained through the Statoil acquisition and allow the Cork Docklands site seek redevelopment. Would Gerry Barrett be interested in such an opportunity? Its all a speculative long-shot of course, but then again, Mr. Barrett has been sizing up opportunities in Cork over recent times and has made moves such as the purchase of a 4.25 acre commercially zoned site along the Airport Road for €13.8m. It is believed not to be his sole consideration in the Cork market over the coming future.
lexington
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland