Grafton Street, Dublin

Re: Grafton Street

Postby PVC King » Thu May 25, 2006 4:14 pm

I certainly wasn't referring to McDonalds signage or footlocker or any other generic design as being innovative in any sense. What I was referring to are the type of shopfront such as No.1 Clare Street or Neu Bleu Eru on South William Street
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Thu May 25, 2006 11:27 pm

I've never seen standardised signage in operation, there's not many decent pics on the internet - anyone know of any links?
It's certainly an interesting idea for Grafton Street, though I wouldn't like to see it tip too far over into homogenisation - if it could be done using basic templates but retaining individuality it'd certainly be something to consider.
The Champs Élysées Comittee appear to be a powerful group - a pity retailers here wouldn't take more pride in their streets:
http://www.magicparis.com/CHAMPsElYsEEs/En/comite.htm

To correct an earlier comment about the lampposts on Grafton St, most of them are Hammond Lane models, but there's a lot of other repros in the mix too!
It would be a pity if as you Stephen the extensions were added just to stop the lamps being smashed. It would be a bit strange if this was the case on prestigious Grafton St, while on bedraggled North Earl St and Talbot St the lampposts, which have no extensions, are never touched. Maybe that's why those hideous modern lanterns were installed here recently, and on the Green and Ha'penny Bridge - because they're vandal proof?
In which case attractive versions of these ought to be introduced on Grafton St, and the silly extensions done away with.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 pm

two McDonalds and two Quick Burgers - it's as bad as O'Connell Street :rolleyes:

http://www.magicparis.com/CHAMPsElYsEEs/En/FrameFastfood.htm
Rory W
Old Master

Grafton Street

Postby mauriceroche200 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Can Grafton Street survive as Ireland’s premiere retail core with the change in Ireland’s retail market.
mauriceroche200

Re: Grafton Street 21st centuary

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:35 pm

No I don't think so - too much is against it - the relative small size of buildings means it cannot compete for the masses like henry Street. Its future could lie in high-end shops - smaller unites, high priced goods...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Devin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:51 pm

Back to what it was, then ...

Some years ago, an aunt of mine, coming home from America after 20 years, remarked that 'you don't expect to see McDonalds on Grafton Street'. She thought it had really gone downhill from what she remembered it to be.

We think it's posh now cos it has a handful of high-end shops - Weir's & Brown T's - but apparently it was all like that not too long ago.
Devin
Old Master

Postby Urban_Form » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:38 am

Given the fuss over the number of mobile phone stores on Grafton Street, 6 if I'm correct, I find it amazing that no one seems to have batted an eyelid at the announcement over the weekend by the mobile operator 3 Ireland saying it intends to open its own store on Grafton Street shortly...
Urban_Form

Postby The Denouncer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:43 pm

What is replacing Golden Discs?
The Denouncer

Postby jdivision » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:36 pm

The Denouncer wrote:What is replacing Golden Discs?

Planning application yet to be lodged, it will be a department store but it is being marketed at present. H&M and Zara were expected to be favourites but now are to open in Sth King Street according to Irish Times. Ann Summers, Penneys, Next and Mango are all looking for stores on Grafton St
jdivision

Postby fergalr » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Why are there no 'top-end' stores gunning for the street? Do they just not need the exposure?
fergalr

Postby jdivision » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:16 pm

What do you mean by top end? It's too small a department store for the likes of Harvey Nicks. If I was a top end retailer I couldn't be bothered opening on Grafton St anyway, it's just not up to scratch. Was talking to a leading British retailer a couple of weeks ago and he said he couldn't get over how bad the street had gotten or why restrictions weren't put into place years ago about the type of stores that could open there. interestingly he has a number of shops off Grafton Street but is only now opening his first one there.
jdivision

Postby TLM » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 pm

Grafton Street for design revamp

Ireland's most famous shopping street is to get a design revamp in new city plans for Dublin.

Grafton Street draws 80,000 shoppers a day and has one of the highest retail rents in the world.

But Dublin's planners today warned there were too many mobile phone shops and convenience stores on the street and that it wanted to attract better quality retailers.

City planner Dick Gleeson said: "We want to put our foot down. There has been a slide on the design front. We want the best design approaches for shop fronts - both contemporary and traditional."

City Manager John Tierney said that footfall levels on Grafton Street were equivalent to an All-Ireland Final every day.

The city council, which today unveiled its spending estimates for 2007, aims to designate the Grafton Street district as a Architectural Conservation Area to protect its character.

Mr Tierney also predicted that Dublin would need more high-rise developments to cope with its increasing population in the future.

PA

© 2006 ireland.com
TLM

Postby fjp » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:30 pm

hmm.

anyone heard about plans to develop the entire area between grafton street and south great georges street?

hate to say it, but I think this area is quite interesting, and could perhaps benefit from more of the independant "low end" shops that currently occupy the area. I'm sure the developers just want to bring in more boring high end shops that 1) most people can't afford and 2) don't offer anything different to all the big malls recently developed in dublin.

I would be very sorry to see some of the most interesting clothing and music stores disappear because they're apparently "dragging down" the grafton street area. who doesn't like the arcade?

bummer.

fjp
fjp

Postby fergalr » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:47 pm

The area between Grafton St and South Great George's St is one my favourite areas in the city, especially around the arcade. It has a really offbeat charm and it lovely and quiet in comparison to the rest of the city centre. Not only that, but the quirky shops make it what it is.
I know Dublin City Council want the area to be a Temple Bar as Temple Bar was originally planned to be, and that seems a good call, but so long as every application to open shop etc in the area is considered for its merits and not just increasing footfall. We've enough Carrolls, newagents and mobile phone shops already, thanks.
fergalr

Postby TLM » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:43 pm

I agree ... the goal shouldn't be to cram in another phone shop or eve Zara or H&M on every street .. some good quality independent retailers and quirky boutiques (like the Lanes in Brighton) would make the area far more interesting..
TLM

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:13 pm

Phone Shops are sooo 2006. 2007 is the year of the Chinese Herbal Remedy shop. Two opened opposite each other in as many weeks!
d_d_dallas

Postby Rory W » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 pm

The Denouncer wrote:What is replacing Golden Discs?

Marks & Spencers are expanding their shop into the area formerly occupied by the Grafton Arcade. The seperate unit is now off the cards
Rory W
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:19 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:Phone Shops are sooo 2006.

Agreed they have pulled back massively much to the disappointment of landlords but once in it is very difficult for them to assign their interests as it is very easy for a landlord to argue that virtually any other occupier including say Arcadia or even Dunnes Stores is a much weaker covenent based on market cap.

Landlords love them becuasse they hold the retail records for lettings on Oxford St London since 2003, Grafton St Dublin the Vodafone letting in 2005 and Hauptwache Frankfurt record from 2004.

Only the Corporation introducing micro-zoning by use class on their principal streets will stop the next fad occupier which could very well be Chinese Herbal Remedy shops. Which if Parnell St is anything to go by will certainly add a splash of colour.

My main gripe are covenience stores there are simply too many of them and their signage is as other posters have said designed to appeal to our most base impulses.
PVC King

Postby kite » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:44 am

Mobile-phone shops 'ban' for Grafton Street

Irish Independent Sunday December 3rd 2006
JEROME REILLY
CONVENIENCE stores and mobile-phone shops will be banned from locating on Dublin's most expensive street as part of a multimillion-euro plan to lure back shoppers.
Dublin City Council is preparing to block certain shops from Grafton Street in the future, as cash-rich shoppers are choosing to spend abroad.
Commercially, Grafton Street has lost none of its allure but officials believe the balance of shops is wrong and that the red-brick paving, laid in 1988, needs replacing with high-class granite and new street furniture.
The plan is to develop the side streets around Grafton Street and Henry Street and, eventually, to have shops all the way between the two.
Currently there are sixmobile-phone shops on Grafton Street. Vodafone and O2 have two each; Meteor and Carphone Warehouse make up the rest.
According to Dublin City planner Dick Gleeson, the local authority is aiming to create an architectural conservation area. "That will allow us to follow on with the introduction of an area of Special Planning Control. With that we can define the range of uses, define much more demanding standards for shop-front design, and we can control lax advertising," Mr Gleeson said.
Under the new plan, convenience shops will also be limited. Mr Gleeson also believes that financial-services outlets add nothing to the streets.
"People go into those places once or twice in a decade - mostly for mortgages," he added. "The phone shops are using the street as an advertising station because they have the footfall. If too many [shops] go in, it kills the goose that lays the golden egg.
"Irish people are now so well off and so well travelled that they tend to think of going off to Paris or Milan or New York for the shops. We want to make sure that they put Dublin No 1 on their list."
© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1735459&issue_id=14965
kite

Postby Blisterman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:12 am

I don't think they should replace the paving.
Maybe do something about the constant smell of vomit at the bottom end.
Blisterman

Postby ctesiphon » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:47 pm

The paving has to go, or at the very least those stupid white tiles. Though obviously, if the tiles go the lot should go too.
I lost count this weekend of the number of people who I witnessed going arse over tit from a slip on the white tiles. I'm amazed there haven't been more personal injury claims on the street- we are, after all, the personal injury capital of the world (or are we second in the world? I can never remember...:rolleyes: ).
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby jdivision » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:50 pm

kite wrote:Mobile-phone shops 'ban' for Grafton Street

Irish Independent Sunday December 3rd 2006

All was reported months ago and even John Tierney's media briefings two weeks ago reiterated it
jdivision

Postby GregF » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:24 pm

I know the paving is rather dated, but the red brick (with the white trim) adds warmth to the street. Grey paving can be very austere, drab and cold.
After having the the O'Connell Street paving debacle drag on for the last few years it would be a dread to face it all again.
Remember as well, the 2 million pound job spent on Henry Street before that which dragged on for a couple of years. Was the finished artcle worth it? ...especially that they took away the coordinating street bins.
Regarding Grafton Street, maybe the paving and kinda kitsch retro street furniture should be just maintained. For it to get another ubiquitous grey paving with brushed metal additions makeover would remove it's quirky kind of appearance. It looks good in the Summer too with the hanging baskets.
Hard to imagine that cars once jammed this street with its narrow broken foothpaths
GregF
Old Master

Postby jimg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:00 pm

I'd prefer the existing scheme be retained; we've enough "grey paving + stainless steel fittings" type schemes around the city as it is. However, I agree that the white tiles are an absolute menace when wet and should be replaced with something with a safer surface. I nearly brained myself on them the other day.
jimg

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:11 pm

Pia Bang out... 3 in... The very illustration of Graton St's decline.
d_d_dallas

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland