Design & Build - The Architects View

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Design & Build - The Architects View

Postby marcliam » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:25 pm

I work for a relatively large UK construction company as Project Manager. Generally projects I am involved in are in the region of £4-5M. The mjority of these projects are Design & Build (usually but, not always with a novated architect).

I would be fascinated to learn the Architects viewpoint on Design & Build projects, as very often I get the feeling that it is not a favoured approach. I have experienced times when the architect indicates that as the Contractor (and Design Manager) we have little interest on how the building will look and more on how much money we can save. Other interesting arguements occur in respect of design responsibilty, etc.

Thoughts??
marcliam

Re: Design & Build - The Architects View

Postby ric » Sun May 21, 2006 7:09 pm

hi marcliam

the two approaches are different, and the client should select the type of procurement that best suits a particular project... d&b for a quick start on site and single point of responsiblity, and traditional for more cost certainty and control of the design (for the client or employer).

and as with so many aspects of life, it also depends on the quality / service of the organisations involved.

but as an Architect, i would far rather work on traditional jobs, as we too often see the details of our designs watered down by contractors in a d&b situation, because it can sometimes cost more... we'd prefer to allow the client to make an informed decision on whether they want to pay the extra for a much more considered design and/or specification...!

i was the project architect of a PFI school, the contractor forgot to order some cladding, and so we got brick in some areas of the build, and the planners weren't too bothered... the buildings elevation was a right mess!!

just my view!!
ric

Return to World Architecture