3D software

World architecture... what's happening generally....

3D software

Postby Ari » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:29 am

Would any one let me know which software is the easiest and most professional for architects to do their designes and show a walkthrough 3d shows.

Thanks
Ari

Re: 3D software

Postby sw101 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:14 pm

sw101

Postby bluefoam » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:12 pm

I work mainly on interiors and use Viz for rendering and walkthroughs & Rhino for modeling & furniture design. However this kind of setup is a bit outdated and most good cad packages can achieve better results out of the box.
bluefoam

Postby dzineminded » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:42 pm

I wouldnt say that Rhino is outdated, they are constantly coming up with new features to the program. It is my favorite modeling program. We had a person that works designing new commands and functions of the program come by and visit our class and she explained that they are constantly working on how to improve the interface. I find it a great blend between modeling programs and 2-d drafting. Viz is a bit outdated and frankly I never liked it. 3-d Studio max is the way to go espesially with wanting to do walkthrus. I have yet to see a fully integrated program that will do animations at good quality. Sketch up is userfriendly but very "cheesy". Of course, with the proper techniques any of these programs can produce great results.
dzineminded

Postby Kitten » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:16 am

The kind of software that is easiest to use varies with the kind of building you are designing. Sketch up is easy to use, and you can open your 3-D files in other programs to get good renders. Form-Z is awesome when you are designing buildings that are orthogonal for the most part. Maya and Rhino are great if you like blobs, and I know that with Maya and Form-Z you can move your project between the files to get the best of both.

I've heard great things about 3D-Max (3DS?): It sounds like it combines the flexibility of Maya with the accuracy of Form Z. Art*lantis is great if you need it to look realistic. Most important is what you can do with the software. Each program has a slightly different layout and if you learn one program really well, you can do most of what you want in it. Sketch-up is the possible exception to this.

Remember that your walk throughs and renders need to support the argument and thesis of your project, so choose a program that will give the feel you want. It is better to have a single clear and comprehensive image than a walkthrough that does not adequately describe the project.
Kitten

Postby kevinl » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:48 pm

i've been using 3d viz and 3d max for a couple of years at an amateur level and i'd like to learn more about this software. does anybody know what are the best 3d studio max courses available in ireland / dublin. cheers.
kevinl

Postby hico » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:48 am

Im unfamiliar with 3-d modeling programmes and would be very interested in any courses in such programmes if there are any... in Dublin.....anyone know of any?
hico

Postby experiMental » Thu May 04, 2006 6:14 pm

As for 3d modelling and rendering programs for beginners, I'd recommend 3dStudioMax and Maxwell Render for accurate simulation of lighting.
experiMental

Postby Bren88 » Fri May 05, 2006 8:21 pm

I posted this on another thread today, but i suppose it'd relevant here too.

I got Auto Cad 2007 the other day, I the 3D feature has com on leaps and bounds. The old technical way is still there. But they have added a new modelling feature. It is practically the same as sketch up but with the extra features of Cad.
Have yet to give it a good try out but looks very promising. For people who do the basics in a Cad program and export it to sketch up, it should save alot of time. It's alot better than previous versions, not even similar
Bren88

Postby experiMental » Fri May 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Bren88: in Auto Cad 2007, is that new feature 3dsolid modelling or surface modelling tool?

The thing is, it would be great if it would be a 3dsolid, because 3d solid modelling is the best way to model buildings (unless there is irregular surface topology), and more modelling features means more productivity.
experiMental

Postby Bren88 » Sat May 06, 2006 3:36 pm

I only had a quick look at it, and it's not on this computer yet.

But from what i could tell is was solid modeling. The extrude command has ben developed much further for example. When you draw a square on the surface of a solid object, the next command is automaticaly extrude, and works very similar to the way it does in sketch up.
Bren88

Return to World Architecture