Green Glazed roof tiles 1930's?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Green Glazed roof tiles 1930's?

Postby ng » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Leading on from my posts on the works of Sam Bunton.....does anyone know of any examples still in existence of houses / buildings with green glazed roof tiles in the west of Scotland. Most date from the 1930/40's and are a clay tiles that is overglazed most commonly with a green the shade of patinated copper. I saw a few examples last weekend in Cramond, Edinburgh, and also saw some black glazed examples in Ayr, but no green ones on this side of the country. Any sightings of blue glazed ones would be appreciated too!

The reason for my questions are that I have bought a very very wrecked 1930's Sam Bunton house on the Ayrshire coast. The current roof tiles are lichen green (but look brown as they are covered in dirt). I need to reroof the house, and don't want the same tiles for two reasons, firstly the surface isn't glazed, it's like sandpaper and dirt sticks to it obliterating the colour very quickly, secondly the roof was patched insensitively a few years back and I can't get more of the same tiles to cover the patched area.
I would like to see some examples on the west coast as ammunition for when I go to meet the planner in a few weeks with the green tile proposal!

Thanks
NG:)
ng

Re: Green Glazed roof tiles 1930's?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Nice - any photos?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ng » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Okay...here's a few images...will post a few images of the 3d model proposals when they are worked up a bit more. The house is situated on top of a raised beach 40m above the road with the elevation having the long strip windows facing the sea and having spectacular views of Arran.

NG

[ATTACH]2270[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2272[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2273[/ATTACH]
Attachments
A.jpg
A.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
B.jpg
B.jpg (153.28 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
C.jpg
C.jpg (199.07 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
D.jpg
D.jpg (229.65 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
ng

Postby Gabion » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:48 am

Not much help to you, but Piers Gough briefly revived these coloured glazed roof tiles in the late 1980s - see attached image of the blue versions he used on Janet Street-Porter's house.

I think he bought up old stock and said they were no longer in production. But see below...
Attachments
CZWG_house_Janet_Street-Porter.jpg
CZWG_house_Janet_Street-Porter.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Gabion

Postby Gabion » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:58 am

No doubt you know about this maker of conservation-grade originals:

http://www.smithbrookproducts.com/4682/4736.html

Perhaps this company might know of examples in your area...
Gabion

Postby ng » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 am

Yes, I am already in contact with smithbrook. Unfortunately the cost of the overglazing process is astronomical...also in contact with Koramic / wienerberger...and langley who do similar. Looking into some german manufacturers who supply glazed clay tiles, but not the 'Courtrai' style as is currently on the roof. Noone seems to do the patinated copper colour as standard unfortunately.

I am also considering secondhand fron Salvo, but I need in excess of 3500 tiles...most offer much less than this. The planners may have issues with a green roof too as the property is located in an area of nature conservation / special scientific interest...but hopefully I have a case as after cleaning up the original tile on the roof, it is definitely green...if not the same shade as I am proposing.

Another interesting note, I have a copy of the original drawings and the house was built as 'a house for a beekeeper', I know it sounds like a first year student project...but there are beehives in the undergrowth in ther garden and the ground floor rooms are annotated as beehive stores!

NG
ng

Postby rena anderson » Sun May 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Dear NG

Hi - My name is Rena, I am the daughter of Sam Bunton the architect. Interesting to see the work you have been investigating. Other houses he built were in Teeregles Avenue, Dumbreck and he built a house in Brookfield called Aviemore. He also restored a very old house in Turnberry where he lived himself whilst commuting from Glasgow every day. I dont know much of the house that you bought, however it was both exciting and very emotional to see pictures of it.

Within the family we may be able to help or answer any questions you may have regarding my Father. I am sending this from my daughters email - we did indeed reply privately to you earlier but werent sure if the response would reach you.

Kind Regards - Rena
rena anderson

Return to World Architecture