Shopfront race to the bottom

Re: Shopfront race to the bottom

Postby Morlan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:10 pm

This is a fucking disgrace. The council should be dishing out heavy fines to deter these law breakers.

Very good letter Devin.
Morlan

Postby lomb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:30 am

did u guys ever hear about out with the old and in with the new? i actually prefer the new centra signage, and also love the eurocycles signage also. people are just trying to make a living and there are crazy laws done by 'conservationists' holding them back. anyone who thinks the cycle store signs look bad or the centra looks worse than it did before needs their head examined.
lomb

Postby PVC King » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:17 am

Can you recommend a good shrink?
PVC King

Postby BTH » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:28 pm

lomb wrote:did u guys ever hear about out with the old and in with the new? i actually prefer the new centra signage, and also love the eurocycles signage also. people are just trying to make a living and there are crazy laws done by 'conservationists' holding them back. anyone who thinks the cycle store signs look bad or the centra looks worse than it did before needs their head examined.

Wow... "I... love the eurocycles signage...". What a first post!! ;-)
BTH

Postby urbanisto » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Its nothing to do with "out with the old, in with the new" lomb. Its about good design. There are plenty of excellent contemporary designs out there whihc contribute to the street rather than turn it into something tacky and tasteless. Its not just the folks here saying it, the City Council think so too. It was one of the central rationales behind the O´Connell St IAP and the Council even commissioned a guide to shopfront deign by architects Howley Harrington which they regularly condition in planning grants. The designs quoted above are cheap rubbish. The are also most likely all illegal as they have not received planning permission.

If you fancy being more informed on good shopfront design then you can obtain a copy of the Guide to Shopfront Design from the CC (free of charge i think). Its probably online too.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby Devin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:50 am

Something that may not be visible in the previous pic of the redone Centra shopfront is that the alucabond (shiny) panel that was placed over the existing fascia has a nasty little ‘traditional’ moulding around its edge, which is at odds with the streamlined timber design of the rest of the front. When muck strikes, it does so with a vengeance!

Ctesiphon, the careful coordination of the original paint job would probably be down to the diligence of the architect. That Centra scum couldn’t give a toss so long as their own front can be seen a mile down the river!

A boyle, good on you for registering a complaint about Sth. William St.

I will have a fuller report on the behaviour of the convenience stores soon.
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:57 am

A group called Griffin's has taken over nearly all the major convenience stores in the city centre of late. As part of the 'takeover', the various premises have had to have their signs redone. Some of them have 'temporary sign' signs erected over their doors, the Londis on O'Connell Street next to Clerys extraordinarily large and vulgar in the extreme. It has been sitting there for well over six months at this stage, if not since last summer.
Exactly how long is a 'temporary sign' permitted to be in place? Do they even have any legal standing?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby a boyle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:04 am

I don't know. What i do know is that dublin is soooo busy in every way and all the time , that noone will do diddly squat till you ask them !!!

I'd imagine that the council's inspectors are overstretched (like everyone else) , log onto the councils website , theres an email adress to which you can report illegal development . I know it took a week to get a confirmation of my complaint so good luck !
a boyle

Postby Devin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:10 am

All of the convenience stores are completely taking the piss out of planning requirements on every level at the moment. It is almost out of control. Hoping to get some media coverage on this v. shortly.
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:21 am

I loved this store on Talbot Street a while back - didn't know if it was coming or going :D
Attachments
Spar.JPG
Spar.JPG (83.66 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby BTH » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:12 am

Isn't spar's logo, colouring and typeface absolutely horrific... Such a blast from the 70s... Their new signage thats been rolled out recently is a little bit more subtle but not much better than the pic above. Its hard to know, in some ways I really hate the real pastiche style signs with gold lettering on olde worlde timber shopfronts but the shiny plastic and garish colours are generally far more offensive...

Any samples of good shopfront design to post here? It'd be nice to get a comparison!
BTH

Postby GregF » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:02 pm

Check out the Internet cafe on Parliament Street. Its painted Double Yellow Line road marking yellow as well as having as having a shitty cheap sign. It's neighbour is painted Sci-Fi Silver. And this right in front of City Hall.
GregF
Old Master

Postby dc3 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:13 pm

How nice it is to see our politicians entereing into this arena[ATTACH]2265[/ATTACH]
Attachments
andrews2.jpg
andrews2.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
dc3

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Most politicans local offices are fairly bad - would be an interesting photo survey, if everyone could go out and photograph their local representatives' offices
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:26 pm

You mean an interesting media opp? :D
Yes most of them are dire - can think of a number straight off. Essentially they're just used as billboards: the bigger and brasher the better. And who in town council planning offices is going to raise that as an issue?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby kite » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:15 am

dc3 wrote:How nice it is to see our politicians entereing into this arena[ATTACH]2265[/ATTACH]

:o Christ, you would not see the likes of that in the Falls Road, Belfast in the bad days...looks almost as bad as the FF office in Bishopstown, Cork.
Never tried to post a photo before, how is it done?
I will try and post a photo tomorrow if i can figure it out.
kite

Postby PVC King » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:42 am

That attitude cost him a seat in the Pembroke Ward
PVC King

Postby anto » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:07 pm

kite wrote::o Christ, you would not see the likes of that in the Falls Road, Belfast in the bad days...looks almost as bad as the FF office in Bishopstown, Cork.
Never tried to post a photo before, how is it done?
I will try and post a photo tomorrow if i can figure it out.

Use http://www.photobucket.com
anto

Postby kite » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:46 pm

:cool: I will try that, thanks for the help.
kite

Postby a boyle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Some success.

A planning enforcement notice has been issued with respect to the eurcycles shop
(south william street).
a boyle

Postby markpb » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:27 am

I'm not sure how long it's been there but the poker place on eden quay is possibly worse than Eurocycles - huge, plastic, backlit sign that is way oversized and hangs too low. I didn't get a photo last night but anyone who passes it at night will see what I mean :(
markpb

Postby a boyle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:19 pm

well why don't you report it to planning enforcement.
a boyle

Postby markpb » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:26 pm

Is Eden Quay covered by IAP or can I complain just because I don't like it? :p
markpb

Postby a boyle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:40 pm

well what i did with eurocycles was to check if any planning permission had been given or sought in the last few years , and there hadn't been. I don't know if there is a time limit to these things though.

how long is the poker joint there ?
a boyle

Postby markpb » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:06 pm

I think it's been there a while but I only noticed the garish sign last night so I'm guessing it's new. I'll send a letter to planning enforcement later and see what they say.
markpb

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland