Defining Place: New Architecture in Scotland

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Defining Place: New Architecture in Scotland

Postby alan d » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 am

alan d

Re: Defining Place: New Architecture in Scotland

Postby phil » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks for that Alan D. I would be interested in any publications there might be related to this, if you wouldn't mind posting any more details you get (if there are any). For example, what is 'non-places' that is listed with architects put as N/A? At first I thought it was a section of the exhibition, but then there would have only been seven projects.

Thanks again,

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby alan d » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:28 pm

be happy to phil, the exhibition book is published today with a narrative.......as soon as I can suss it out myself I'll let you know .
alan d

Postby phil » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:15 pm

Thanks Alan D.
phil
Old Master

Postby alan d » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:00 am

sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this phil but the formal opening was only last night so I only now have the exhibition book and narrative for this project.

Unfortunately though I'm non the wiser myself so I'll quote directly from the source:

Non Places

"The Storr: Unfolding Landscape was a journey into unfamiliar territory. Walking into a high landscape at night with the emements of sound, light and shifting weather systems combining to change the way natural phenomena on route were experienced over 42 nights. It revealed a new image of a well known geoligical wonder , enforcing an enigmatic and at times dreamlike existance" ok?

In short a group of artists climbing up Totternish Ridge carrying torches.
alan d

Postby wolfie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:12 am

alan d wrote:Unfortunately though I'm non the wiser myself ... In short a group of artists climbing up Totternish Ridge carrying torches.

It's the same notion as "The Path", which nva organised a couple of years ago in Glen Lyon. In other words, dramatic sound and light extravaganza in remote-ish part of Scotland. The main guy behind nva is Angus Farquhar, who was in '80's band Test Department, a sort of industrial/ metal thrashy predecessor of the KLF- awkward bugger to track down for an interview, tho. The point of all these events is to heighten your senses. I think. But they definitely arenae "NON PLACES": totally the reverse. They focus completely on the particular sights/ sounds/ smells of the place you're walking through.
wolfie

Postby phil » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks Alan D and Wolfie. As you say Wolfie, it sounds more like people trying to use all their senses to experience 'place' as oppossed to the other way around.
phil
Old Master

Return to World Architecture