New Developments in Galway City

Re: New Developments in Galway City

Postby PTB » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 pm

Does anybody have a picture of the new cinema development that was much acclaimed or the NUIG building with the large copper panon the outside. Saw a picture of it once and it looked very nice.
PTB

Postby shiloh » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:24 pm

The cinema development - Eye Cinema - is yet another scheme commissioned by Gerry Barrett's Edward Holdings from Douglas Wallace. Beats the other offer hands down. These two companies seem to be able to dish out some pretty nice stuff, their track record in Galway is pretty good, unlike some of the monstrosities above!

I have posted images in another earlier post called Galway Cinema!
shiloh

Postby shiloh » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:26 pm

Found these other images of the scheme too....
Attachments
eye1.jpg
eye1.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
eye3.jpg
eye3.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
eye2.jpg
eye2.jpg (83.46 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
shiloh

Postby lexington » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:27 pm

PTB wrote:Does anybody have a picture of the new cinema development that was much acclaimed or the NUIG building with the large copper panon the outside. Saw a picture of it once and it looked very nice.

This? It is nice.

And The Eye.

lexington
Old Master

Postby BTH » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Good to see some of the nice stuff happening in Galway on here! Both buildings are excellent with a few minor concerns - for one thing copper is being really overused in Galway! And the cinema has one really dodgy facade that is unfortunately very visible when coming in from the Dublin Road - its a pity the design didn't carry through... It's forgiveable though when the rest of the building, inside and out, has such flair...
BTH

Postby PTB » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:19 pm

Ah yes, just the ones. The college development ( GMITor is it NUIG?) is a quite stunning building, one of the most contempary and dramatic looking buildings in the country. I'm quite surprised that it was'nt mentioned before, then again this thread has a very downbeat focus and seems to only concern the negative aspects of developments in the city. Is there any other buildings that recieve positive comments in the city?
PTB

Postby anto » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:12 am

That's the GMIT. Yeah it's a classy building. The only problem is like most of Galway it's located on a highway out from the city centre. Most of Galway seems to be developing like this strung out along dual carriageways
anto

Postby bitasean » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:35 pm

Aparently that Douglas Wallace building was modelled after the Thunder Cats Lair:D

Any of you familiar with Galway and its environs must know the Miesian house located roughly half way between Oranmore and Galway city, it's raised up on what I think are I-beam pilotis and has a completely glazed facade (albeit protected with several acres of curtains.) I've only ever caught glimpses of this gem from the window of one of Bus Eireann's finest but it would be great if any of ye could organise a few sneaky snaps of it for the thread since, ironically, its modernist (perhaps anti-contextual) approach leaves it hovering very nicely on the marshy banks of the bay.
bitasean

Postby Jammyd » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 pm

yeah i know the house your talking about wasn't too impressed to be honoust, Does anyone have any plans of the new ballybrit shopping centre anchored by dunnes stores or the recently approved 6 storey hotel near the race course, was also wondering if anyone knew what there developing on the tuam road it seems quite a high rise development for galway havent heard anything about it in the local press. the picture of the finished product leaves alot to be desired.
Jammyd

Postby Jammyd » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:18 pm

:)
Jammyd

Postby justnotbothered » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:29 pm

The new building on the canal at the Claddagh end is such a wasted oppurtunity, it looks like they've lumped together the blandest aspects of any number of apartment blocks.
justnotbothered

Postby Jammyd » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:29 pm

was speaking to a b&q employee from the athlone branch and was informed that a b&q store is opening in galway city in march of this year, has anyone else heard anything on this?
Jammyd

Postby kilman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:00 pm

Jammyd,
Along with Dunnes Stores they are mooted to be anchoring the city west development on the Western Distributor road(near Monkey Business).
kilman

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 am

RMJM to Design Major Engineering School in Galway
Archiseek / Ireland / News / 2006 / January 11

RMJM is to design the National University of Ireland, Galway’s new ¤53 million (£36 million) engineering school. The development recently got the go-ahead following an announcement by the Irish Government of a ¤1 billion investment programme for third-level institutions and is the University’s largest capital project to date.

http://www.irish-architecture.com/news/2006/000046.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby chbrook » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:01 pm

Jammyd wrote:yeah i know the house your talking about wasn't too impressed to be honoust, Does anyone have any plans of the new ballybrit shopping centre anchored by dunnes stores or the recently approved 6 storey hotel near the race course, was also wondering if anyone knew what there developing on the tuam road it seems quite a high rise development for galway havent heard anything about it in the local press. the picture of the finished product leaves alot to be desired.

Did you get any plans for the new hotel by the racecourse? I was hoping to find out who the developers are.
chbrook

Postby shiloh » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Developer is a chap called Connolly - not sure of the company name but of the GAA family of the same name. He's poached the former GM from the City West to act as operations man. It seems a real 'mate and two veg' sunday dinner hotel is planned. More of the usual..........so wouldn't hold out for innovative design concepts....
shiloh

Postby PDLL » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:21 pm

shiloh wrote:It seems a real 'mate and two veg' sunday dinner hotel is planned....
:D :D
PDLL

Postby Jammyd » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:54 pm

work commenced this monday on phase one of city west which is due for completion mid 2007
Jammyd

Postby kingpin976 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:50 pm

Douglas Wallace were not the architects responsible for the Bailey Point development in Galway. The architect responsible was actually Architectural Design Technology. Douglas Wallace were employed in the latter stages of the project by the developer and then, following the developer going into receivership, by the receiver KPMG. Douglas Wallace’s brief in both instances was to resolve both planning compliance and legal ownership/certification issues.

BTH wrote:Here is the Bailey Point building in Salthill by Douglas Wallace (designed many many years ago I believe!). It should have opened about 3 years ago but has been beset by problems from the start. It will eventually accommodate a multi screen cinema in the basement, bar, restaurant, nightclub and lots and lots of apartments. I'd say the view from those penthouses is pretty amazing!

kingpin976

Postby BTH » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm

My apologies. I've heard Douglas Wallace's name mentioned in regard to the development on numerous occasions so I assumed that they designed it. However, finding out that they are just clearing up the problems with the building makes a lot more sense!
Would it be possible to edit my original post to remove reference to Douglas Wallace?
BTH

Grand Plan for Galway City

Postby lexington » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:56 pm

PLANNING application has been lodged for a €400m development of commercial and residential properties together with civic amenities on the Crown Control site in Galway city. The developers, Stephen Harris, Walter King and Bernard McKeown, plan to include 26,425 sq m of retail space, mainly of the retail warehousing type. The anchor is expected to be a DIY store with a garden centre.

In addition there will also be 11,563 sq m of residential accommodation consisting of 140 residential units. Other buildings will contain 9,378 sq m of office accommodation plus 9,286 sq m of additional accommodation which will consist of a 100 bedroom hotel, a creche and leisure facilities.

Located in a high profile position between the Monivea Road and Tuam Road and approximately 2km from Eyre Square, the 12.5 acre site is close to the bus services to the city centre. It is designed around a civic square which will accommodate cultural and community events and will be larger than the former central green area of Eyre Square.

DTZ Sherry FitzGerald statistics reveal that the Galway market witnessed a significant recovery in activity levels during 2005 with the total quantity of accommodation taken up reaching 25,700 sq m, almost double the level recorded in 2004.

The supply of accommodation in the city centre market was significantly limited with the vacancy rate at only 1.7% at the end of December.

Donal Buckley
Irish Independent
lexington
Old Master

Postby BTH » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:30 pm

Couple of interesting announcements lately:

The scheme on the former Crown site at Mervue looks huge. Unfortunately it also looks fairly bog - standard. Massive slabs of buildings with ridiculous looking "features" such as a huge red cylinder plonked on top. Must dig out the images and post them...
It amazes me that the architects of this scheme continue to get such major commissions as their recent track record with commercial buildings is pretty dire - all flash and no substance.

The application for the rebuilding of the horrific Galway Shopping Centre has been re-submitted. This €450 million scheme aims to quadruple the size of the shopping centre, create a network of streets around it with apartment buildings and ground floor cafe/retail uses and to create a landmark civic building at the Terryland roundabout to house a small theatre, a municipal gallery and other cultural uses. M&S and Debenhams are the mentioned anchors who will join Tesco and Penneys in the redevelopment. I hope this goes ahead sooner than later as the current centre is a disgrace.

Most excitingly it's been reported that an application for €750 million redevelopment of the CIE lands behind Eyre Sq and Ceannt Station is to be submitted in the coming months. Sean O'Laoire of Murray O'Laoire Architects is said to be heading a multi-disciplinary team who are working up a masterplan for the huge site which has the potential to significantly increase the scope of Galway's city centre retail and business core. The scheme is also set to include a new Bus station with 25 bays, a completely renovated and expanded train station with 3 platforms (currently just 1) to accommodate Limerick and commuter services. It remains to be seen whether the scheme includes land currently occupied by the oil tanks at the docks which, when cleared, will offer fantastic waterside development opportunities.
I have high hopes for this site as it's an opportunity for a whole new urban quarter for Galway which could potentially absorb a lot of the pressure that the historic core is coming under from high st. multiples etc. It's just off Eyre Sq. so couldn't be more central and forms a major gateway into the city by rail, which will be an increasingly important approach in the near future. I'll post any further info when I get it!

BTW, Eyre Sq is really taking shape - almost finished at last! It looks well, somewhat over-fussy in places and some ridiculous mistakes, such as the cladding of the public jacks in horizontal banded copper. I'll give it 3 months before it's so stained with footmarks, puke and worse that it'll have to be painted over. When will people realize that pre patinated Copper should not be used at ground level - it cannot be cleaned effectively! A pub in Galway learned the hard way a few years back, the shopfront was clad in copper and looked great - for a few weeks. They tried cleaning it and the patination came off leaving the brown copper below. They ended up painting over it all...
BTH

Postby FIN » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:35 pm

jealousy is a terrible thing bth. it's very easy to insult when not using your name. the reason we get these commisions is that contrary to you opunion we do good design, we are able to take it from concept to built reality within a reasonable proximity to the budget and we are such darn nice people. how is your practice doing???why don't you talk about the projects you do and post some pictures ....
FIN

Postby BTH » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:23 am

My apologies FIN for hurting your feelings... And no, jealousy does not come into the equation, just sadness and frustration at the standards that seem to pass for architecture in Galway... A scheme may come in on time and on budget but that does not mean that the end result adds anything positive to it's surroundings as a good building should.

In my opinion the schemes on the Fairgreen are abysmal in terms of streetscape quality, handling of materials and in plain old human experience... There is nothing remotely pleasant about looking at or walking around/through these buildings and thats a real shame. A whole section of the city has been ruined by lowest common denominator, engineer driven design.

Im sorry if this seems insulting but I'm sure my opinions don't make one bit of difference. As long as targets for square footage are met and it can be done reasonably cheaply, with a little bit of superficial flashyness (acres of curtain walling/brise soleil/strange red things on the roof) to keep the potential tenants and the planners happy - the commissions will just keep rolling in...

BTW, I don't have a practice, but if and when I do I hope to god I don't end up producing more of the dross that currently blights Galway. A couple of practices have the city fairly sewn up between them and it'd be an interesting excercise to post pictures of all the buildings they have done over the past 20 years to see what effect a real lack of architectural thought has had over a sustained period...
BTH

Postby FIN » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:02 pm

you didn't hurt my feelings bth. their is always critism when one practice is obviously commisioned more by bigger clients and therefore in their eyes better than anyone else. it is part of a wider plan for the area which as you may be aware and remember was in a dire state for years. when the bus/train station is built ( by others by the way) then that whole area will have been transfored within only a few years which is exciting. i disagree, it is a functional area in galway providing areas for offices and in this regard in my view gives a pleasent working environment. coming in from the train it looks good.
with the state of architecture in general in galway it is a breath of fresh air. and an attempt to drag us into the 21st century rather than the often backwards looking attemtps at creating buildings to blend in which again in my opunion is nonsense.
at the end of the day, our job is to keep the clients and the planners happy. they pay the bills and that let us work. if you are to have your own practice that might be a lesson worth learning.
engineer driven design, first of all, that's nonsense. it's not a square box! :) seriously though, obviously it has to be able to stand up so in effect every building is essentially engineer driven as there is no point showing a client a design that can't work.
you don't have a practice that much is obvious, but i was wondering who you worked for or at least post some of pics from the practice you work for and we will discuss them
FIN

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland