In his Irish Times article (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/proper ... /prop2.htm), Frank McDonald suggests that the proposed planning guidelines should be reinforced by â€˜teach-insâ€™ to help put Fergal MacCabeâ€™s message across. Another idea would be for a group to develop a model, based upon these guidelines, that could be used both for education, financial analysis, and perhaps even implemented.
The goals of the this model would include:
* Show that higher housing densities can provide an attractive living environment
* Significant cost benefit is possible, e.g., through multiple occupancy, reduced car usage
* Break the de-facto â€˜Essex modelâ€™ of housing development, prevalent in Ireland
* Provide a show-case for individual architectâ€™s work
* In addition, address energy & transportation imperatives, e.g., District Heating
Such a project would be a real monument for the new millennium.