cad affected architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

cad affected architecture

Postby clare mc » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:02 pm

I Am Writting My Thesis On How Computer Rendering Technigues Have Affected Architecture.
I Am Looking For Three Examples Of Modern Buildings Which Were Designed Using Max ,maya Or Adt
I Was Looking At The Scotish Parliment As One Example
One Example In Ireland Is Required

Any Help Would Be Appreciated
clare mc

Re: cad affected architecture

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 am

Check out anything that Cecil Balmond had a hand in. He's an engineer (with Arup in London), but without his input the work of Foreign Office Architects (Yokahama Port), Daniel Libeskind (V&A Boilerhouse extension), Ben Van Berkel, Richard Rogers, Rem Koolhas and others would have looked very different. He's the man who turns their dreams into reality;) . What I like about him is that he seems not to let the computer lead the way but rather uses it as a design facilitator.
There are articles in Wired magazine, Building Material No.8 (IAA Journal- one of them by me:) ) and more, and his book 'Informal' gives details of some of his bigger projects. Also, a book called, I think, 'New Science = New Architecture?'.

I presume Gehry will be at the top of your list?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Gehry designs using paper models (see http://www.hughpearman.com/articles5/gehry2.html). Of course, drawings are later produced using CAD, but i don't think his work counts as being designed using CAD. Engineered, perhaps.
Andrew Duffy

Postby alan d » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:51 pm

http://www.makearchitects.com/

try this.......... pumped up, testosterone fuelled uber architectural imagery, with not a 4B in sight. Don't linger too long or you'll go blind
alan d

Postby clare mc » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 pm

Thank You For Your Comments They Were Very Informative .
The First Architect I Thought Of Was Gehry But Any Books Or Data I Find On Him Seems To Illustrate Physical Models And Not Computer Generated Ones.
Do You Know Of Anywere I Could Find Info On This ?:)
clare mc

Postby what? » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:44 pm

http://www.glform.com/

greg lynn, one of the first blobitects, designs his buildings using the computer. he uses a type of parametric design where inputed values chosen as being important to the scheme inflect the shape of the building and "create" the form (a simplistic explanation). his finished buildings rarely look like the blobby schemes and become much more faceted.

Ghery uses a program called CATIA which was initially developed to design aircraft
what?

Postby arki_shw » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:11 pm

Gehry indeed uses physical models but thats is only to create computerised working drawings.
Wihtout computers i wouldnt have been possible to execute the kind of strucutres Gehry designs....!
He mainly uses CATIA. It also helps him for surface area calculation, to find out load bearign capacities, surface curvatures, also centre of gravity....so on so forth...
arki_shw

Postby Gabion » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 pm

alan d wrote:http://www.makearchitects.com/

try this.......... pumped up, testosterone fuelled uber architectural imagery, with not a 4B in sight. Don't linger too long or you'll go blind

Odd really, considering that Ken Shuttleworth of Make is a famed draughtsman known as "Ken the Pen". There are one or two of his sketches on the site, but not many. Too busy in meetings, probably.
Gabion

Postby Gabion » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:28 pm

clare mc wrote:I Am Writting My Thesis On How Computer Rendering Technigues Have Affected Architecture.
I Am Looking For Three Examples Of Modern Buildings Which Were Designed Using Max ,maya Or Adt
I Was Looking At The Scotish Parliment As One Example

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Richard Rogers' never-built scheme for London's South Bank Centre. Don't know the program but the key image with the big curving roof shows the limitations of designing this way - awkward fiddly bits are just fudged.
Gabion

Postby Gabion » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:22 pm

clare mc wrote:I Am Writting My Thesis On How Computer Rendering Technigues Have Affected Architecture.

This is perfect:

http://www.irish-architecture.com/news/2006/000014.html
Gabion

Postby tanama » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 am

i want to know more about spftwares helping us for parametc design , do you know anything about them?!

Mmmm, ad how can I reach a free version of paracloud with carck?!!
tanama

Return to World Architecture