Most Beautiful Building in Cork?

Re: Most Beautiful Building in Cork?

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:01 pm

Don't know the building, but if it's a Protected Structure (as seems possible from the name) then the planning Authority (Cork CC?) has powers under the P&D Act 2000 to compel the owner (and/or occupier) to act, though if the matter is (ahem) only cosmetic then I'm not sure if those powers are all that applicable.
If it is in an Architectural Conservation Area or an Area of Special Planning Control, then similar provisions exist regardless of whether the building itself is a Protected Structure.

Perhaps shame is the best weapon? (i.e. if the other buildings on the street show this one up in a bad light.)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:02 pm

This is Queens Old Caslte, just so you have a rough idea of what it looks like, can't find a better picture just yet. It looks fine in that picture 'cos it's dark, but the paint job looks scruffy in the last few weeks. I wouldn't imagine it to be a listed building (not the grade whatever number it is that restricts you from doing fu*k all to it anyway) but I would imagine that a paint job would do no harm, who ever it is that is in authority
A-ha

Postby Devin » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:30 am

A-ha wrote:I noticed a few days back that the Queens Old Caste looked absolutley rotten. For such a beautiful building, they make it look awful. Surely some organisation can force Argos or Virgin to paint it or do something to it anyway. It spoils the area!
I don't know what you're talking about. The building is painted white and looks clean and well-maintained.

The problem with the building is that you have to blot out the ground floor when you look at it because some idiot (either Virgin or a tenant before them) decided to put short Greek Doric columns with plain Doric capitals at their bases ( :D ) in the shop entrance, to "follow" the well-executed pedimented Greek Doric feature in the 1st floor. The result is disastrous - no proportional logic between the upper & lower part of the building.

See here for a daytime pic: http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CO®no=20512635
Devin
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:34 pm

When did you last see it? Either that or it was just the bottom area of the building I saw as I was going into Virgin (which really did look grubby). Thanks for the picture, if I was looking till now, I still wouldn't be able to find one.
A-ha

Postby Devin » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:27 pm

A-ha wrote:When did you last see it?
A few days ago.

A-ha wrote:Thanks for the picture
If you click 'Additional Images' in the top right of the link, there are a few more pics of it.
Or just click here: http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=images&county=CO®no=20512635
Devin
Old Master

Postby lexington » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:11 pm

A-ha wrote:When did you last see it? Either that or it was just the bottom area of the building I saw as I was going into Virgin (which really did look grubby). Thanks for the picture, if I was looking till now, I still wouldn't be able to find one.

The Queens Old Castle has recently been given a new fresh paint of coat and cleaned. Virgin have erected new signage - a little classier (black) than it's bile yellow predecessor.

Also, I was delighted to see NorthGate House has finally been repainted after months of flaking and chipped paintwork. It looked dreadful across NorthGate Bridge. Now if they could only weed the moss from the drains we'd be set - and maybe the Gate & GardenView apartments could take a hinter. ;)
lexington
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:21 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up. After all, a big job like weeding out the moss takes alot of consideration, not to mention going to the city council, the planning authorities and what have you. Yeah right! I'd be quicker if I went and did it myself.
A-ha

Postby lexington » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:57 am

A-ha wrote:I wouldn't get your hopes up. After all, a big job like weeding out the moss takes alot of consideration, not to mention going to the city council, the planning authorities and what have you. Yeah right! I'd be quicker if I went and did it myself.

Believe it or not, they did weed the moss from the drains! Fair play! ;) The building looks remarkable better for it too - now if we can only do something about the unsight tarmac paving fronting NorthGate Bridge (a grass divide with granite pathway and trees???) and tidy up the damp stains and poor paint along the Gate Multiplex and adjoining apartments, we'll be set! :o
lexington
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:31 am

I know everyone slags them off now and again, including me, but I think it is a credit to the council that they are keeping our pavements so clean. I don't think other city councils put as much effort into taking chewing gum off the pavements then they do in Cork. I know it's only something small, but it's always something I notice not just in Cork but in Dublin or Limerick aswell. I believe getting rid of chewing gum is one of the most expensive areas in keeping an area clean and it's good to see so much effort being put into the small little things that most people don't even care about. God, I am such a loser, I just spent the last five minutes writing a post about chewing gum. And remember.... chewing gum is a priviliage, dispose of it properly. It is banned in Singapore!
A-ha

Postby A-ha » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:43 pm

Anyone able to tell me anything about the building that houses Meadows and Byrne in Academy Street??? It's really nice, but don't know anything about it.
A-ha

Postby lawyer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:14 pm

A-ha,
Type Central Hall+Academy Street into Google Ireland and you will get your answer
lawyer

Postby A-ha » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:29 pm

Thanks lawyer, I didn't even know the name of the building. It's got quite an impressive history to it aswell. :)
A-ha

Postby redabbeyredux » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:11 pm

Converting this into a City-centre pad is my fantasy project. Gorgeously simple architecture, practically next door to Idaho café. . .

redabbeyredux

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm

You're right redabbey. I mentioned this building way back. There was a cork2005 event held there and i managed to get a good look round. Its empty inside and has huge rooms just crying out to be converted into art gallery, restaurant, etc.
Top floor has some really interesting remnants of Corks old tram system too.
The building is owned by ESB.
Radioactiveman

Postby A-ha » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:37 pm

Where were the trams kept at night time? There must have been some type of yard where they kept them? I love looking at all the pictures of them. Good exhibition on a few months back in one of the art galleries showing old photos and paintings. Shame they're gone.
A-ha

Postby lawyer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:25 pm

A-ha wrote:Where were the trams kept at night time? There must have been some type of yard where they kept them? I love looking at all the pictures of them. Good exhibition on a few months back in one of the art galleries showing old photos and paintings. Shame they're gone.

There was a tram garage on Albert Road - top end, near the traffic lights.
It later became a depot for the ESB and is now used for various things including the Cork Sculpture Factory.
Trams ran to various places such as Blackrock, St. Lukes and the Western Road.

If you are really interested in the trams and their history, try the City Library for a book called 'Tram Tracks through Cork' by Walter McGrath and published in 1981.
lawyer

Postby A-ha » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:38 pm

Thanks lawer. I'm not just interested in the trams in Cork, i'm interested in everything to do with transportation. The city was better served by public transport back then, then it is now... it's such a pity. Did Galway or Waterford ever have trams? I presume Limerick's tram system went about the same time as Corks. I'm sure they're equally annoyed that the lost their tram network too. Stupid Irish Government... they can't get anything right, lol. Thanks again.
A-ha

Postby Boyler » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:26 pm

I know Galway had trams in the nineteenth to early twentith centuries.
Boyler

Postby ake » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:46 pm

Most beautiful building in Cork is obviously Finbars cathedral, the best neo-gothic on the island.
ake

Postby lexington » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:06 pm

A surprisingly and unfortunately overlooked building in my view is the magnificent St. Vincent's Church in Sunday's Well. Built between 1851 and 1854, the church and monastery officially opened on 24th October 1854.

Image Image

"The building is a remarkably successful use of a difficult site. The southern aisle of the church (1851) is prolonged into a residential range, three floors high, that turns a right angle before abruptly terminating at the street, making up two sides of a piazza in front of the church. A floor below the level of the piazza a vaulted hall opens directly on to a garden terrace to the south. Above, a pivotal corner turret is corbelled out on a stunted column. Similar stunted columns hold up the arches that divide the flights of the principal staircase."
- Jeremy Williams, " A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland, 1837-1921"
(Irish Academic Press, Dublin, 1994).

It enjoys a wonderful perspective overlooking the city, notably Fitzgerald's Park and surrounds, from the sharply steep Northern slopes of the city. It reminds one of some sort of Central European palace bracing Cork's unique and interesting topography.
lexington
Old Master

Postby Boyler » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:04 pm

Very nice!
Boyler

Postby A-ha » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:17 pm

It looks very similar to areas of Prague or Budapest. That gothic type of architecture is very prominant throughout the building.
A-ha

Postby PVC King » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:36 pm

I think it would be fair to say that it is simply an Eastern European influence as I have seen similar styles as far east as Latvia
PVC King

Previous

Return to Ireland