LED board - planning permission?

LED board - planning permission?

Postby notjim » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:32 pm

Does anyone happen to know if you need planning permission for a LED display board mounted inside facing a window? Where would I look to find out?
notjim

Re: LED board - planning permission?

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:21 am

You could start by asking in the Irish Planning sub-forum. ;)

My gut feeling is you probably would need it as it probably qualifies as advertising. Check whatever development plan covers the area in question and check the definition of advertising in the Planning & Development Act 2000. See http://www.irishstatutebook.ie for the latter.
Also, you could request a Section 5 Declaration from the local authority- tells you whether PP is needed for any type of development. Although this would bring it to the attention of the LA, which you might not want, they'd ultimately find out about it anyway, being an outward-facing sign n'all.

Can I make this another general plea to put planning questions in the Planning sub-forum? I asked before a few days ago on another thread. It's not my baby, but I do think the whole board would benefit in the long run if we maintained this delineation. I don't thnk Paul put it there for a laugh.
Thanks. :)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby jimg » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:23 am

Can I make this another general plea to put planning questions in the Planning sub-forum?

Could I ask what's the rational behind having a separate planning forum? It's not like this forum was swamped by planning queries which drowned out architecture discussions. I mean, I have no difficulty avoiding the threads that don't interest me here and I doubt that anyone else finds it onerous to do so. There have been threads running for ages here that I've never even looked at. It just makes it more awkward for people to have to "visit" two separate groups and it's a solution to a non-existing problem. I work in IT and have an interest in user-interface design and I would never have split off a separate forum. You will spend lots of energy directing people back and forth to the "proper" forum to what end? What does it do except deprive the subjects in the planning forum from a wider viewership and/or participation?
jimg

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:48 am

Most of what you say would seem to be best answered by Paul.

From my perspective, it's simply a case of- now that we have a planning sub-forum let's use it. If we don't, it will only further complicate the placement of planning-related posts.
I can understand some of your points, though I suspect we use a different front page to access the site. I start with http://www.archiseek.com, which shows a list of all threads that contain new posts, so this double visit business you speak of isn't an issue for me. It also means I can see the posts in the World, UK, Suggestions etc. threads at a glance.

If Paul wanted to re-amalgamate them I guess I'd have no problem, but I appreciated the change and wanted to give it a chance (with a little gentle encouragement).
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby notjim » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:56 am

Sorry about the wrong forum - its not an advertizement, does that make a difference?
notjim

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 am

It might still qualify as advertising, even if it's not technically selling anything. Best, and probably fastest, to check with the LA via a Section 5 or their DP.

Re the forum- wasn't meant as a personal attack, notjim, and I hope it didn't come across as such. As I said, a general plea. :)

Best of luck.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby notjim » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:01 pm

hey, i didn't take it as a personal attack, i read archiseek off the front page so i just hadn't noticed there was a seperate planning forum. how long does a section 5 usually take?
notjim

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:06 pm

I think there's a statutory time limit, which might be 4 weeks, but I couldn't be sure. Also, where LAs and statutory time limits are concerned, it's worth giving a little latitude for slippage, though yours sounds like a fairly straightforward case, so I see little reason to doubt the LA in this instance. You mightn't even need a Sec 5 - perhaps just a call to the LA would suffice - but if neighbours etc start to complain down the line a Sec 5 can be a handy thing to have in the back pocket.
Whan I said 'fastest', I was thinking that the alternative was having enforcement slapped on you for not getting PP.
Good luck.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Return to Ireland