Aran Islands Planning

Aran Islands Planning

Postby what? » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:57 pm

I Tried to post this in the architects section but got no response, perhaps the planners can help me out:

Does anyone know if it is only islanders (or those with ties to the islands) who can buy houses on the Arann islands (or other islands off the coast of Ireland? Or is it a free market as in the rest of the country.
Also are there any special planning rules which apply to these types of place?

any info/ input appreciated
what?

Re: Aran Islands Planning

Postby ctesiphon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:21 pm

what? wrote:I Tried to post this in the architects section but got no response, perhaps the planners can help me out:

Ha! Planners to the rescue! :)

Re Planning rules: I don't know for sure, but I'd have thought that there were similar provisions in the Arans as there are in, say, Co Clare (and all over the country since the intro of the 'sustainable' rural housing guidelines- don't get me started...).
Does the Dev Plan not say anything about the islands? (Galway CoCo, if I'm not mistaken.)

Re Purchase: This is a different matter as you indicate- common sense would tell me that it's a free market, unless specific language provisions apply, as with the Gaeltacht areas of Co Galway. They are belatedly trying to apply these rules after years of the 'cupla focal' brigade saying 'sea' and 'go raibh maith agat' to the CoCo. Again, the Dev Plan should have this in it, or the CoCo staff would know. Have you asked them?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby what? » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:54 am

go raibh maith agat. ta me ag look at the development plans.
what?

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:36 am

A hardcoir gaelgoir, I see!
Bfheidir go bhuil some information ansin. If not, tar ar ais anseo and we'll feic what we can do.

Y'know what, I might apply myself. My grasp of the Gaeilge couldn't be worse than some over there.

In case I wasn't clear in my last post, my reference to the Rural Housing Guidelines was to do with accommodating the needs of farming family members who can't seem to cut the apron strings. At least until their house is magically built, at which stage they suddenly develop their independence.
I'm sure you knew what I was getting at.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Return to Ireland