how to get in to D.I.T

World architecture... what's happening generally....

how to get in to D.I.T

Postby acf » Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:03 am

i am in my second year of interior design, after i finish i would like to study architecture i have an A2 in art and B2 in higher construction studies but i only have 260 points can i still get into D.I.T
acf
Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:00 am
Location: dublin

Postby iuxta » Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:50 pm

If you apply to DIT through the CAO, you will first be called to an aptitude test. This test consists of a number of different parts.

You fill in forms asking the usual questions about why you want to be an architect, other bits and pieces about your hobbies, likes and dislikes etc. Obviously this is an area to show the examiner that you are interested in architecture, so writing about buildings that you have visited, and liked or disliked, architects that you have spoken to and interviewed, etc are all good points to get across here. You should prepare a brief statement (the form gives about 12lines if I remember correctly) about why you are interested in architecture, which you should get others to check through if you fell it necessary.
Another section is the visual association bit. There are a number of boxes about 40mm x 40mm. In the centre of each there is a typed punctuation such as a “(“ or “>” or “~”. You are asked to complete a sketch around each of these as they inspire you. Again, your art will come in handy and you should manage these ok. It’s probably better to sketch in three dimensions rather the 2D as this is something that is obviously very important in a career in which you design buildings etc in 3D.
The hardest section is the pattern recognition test. This consists of about 30 or so questions. They are purely visual reasoning. They consist of a series of nine boxes arranged in a grid of 3 across and 3 down. Eight of the squares are filled in with the lower right hand one blank. The squares are filled in with patterns and by analysing them you are expected to draw in the remaining blank square. They have a time limit on this section as well, so no hanging about trying to figure things out. You should be able to get hold of practise versions of these as they are part of IQ type tests, and a good book shop should have a section covering these.

I think there are normally in the region of 3-4,000 applicants for this stage. From this, they cull out the amount of people that they want to interview. For the first stage, you are given a maximum of 100 points and again 100 for the interview at second stage.

You can therefore get a maximum of 200 extra points to add to you Leaving Cert Points, which in your case would still make it hard to get in as the points are usually in the region of 465, and maybe higher next year as they only took in 25 students this year as part of an internal protest over conditions.
However, the fact that you have another qualification should make a difference in your case and you would have to approach the Department of Architecture and the DIT admissions office directly to find out what weight they would apply to your existing qualification.
Check also that you have the course requirements in terms of subjects, I think that it included maths at a certain level, however you should check this directly with the admissions office.

So, there you go, a brief guide to getting into DIT Bolton Street to study Architecture.

Best of Luck
iuxta
Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:00 am
Location: dublin

Aptitude test

Postby CM00 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:00 pm

Just to add to what has been described above, which I found very helpful in preparing for my aptitude test which I took today.
They also ask you to write about a page or so "Describing Yourself". There are eight of these symbol boxes and you are told to make your creations realistic. The exam takes two hours. Best of luck in 2005
CM00
Member
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:14 am
Location: Berlin

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby sw101 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:08 pm

Originally posted by acf
i am in my second year of interior design, after i finish i would like to study architecture i have an A2 in art and B2 in higher construction studies but i only have 260 points can i still get into D.I.T


If you are old enough to be considered a mature student your points won't really matter. They will take your portfolio, experience, and qualifications into account instead. I think its 23 or over but i'm not sure.

Contact the admissions office in D.I.T or if they're not helpful go straight to Aileen Mullane, secratary of the School of Architecture, for more information

this may be of some help....
http://www.dit.ie/DIT/built/architecture/index.html
.....the link on the left hand side cover the selection process
sw101
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:01 pm

Postby sw101 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:13 pm

http://www.riai.ie/index.html?go2=go&id=5792

the RIAI (royal institute) has info aswell
sw101
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:01 pm

Postby Caesar » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:45 am

Hey there

I’m new to this forum and I have to say I like it. I have noticed this post and I couldn’t ignore it. Before starting my story I will have to tell you few words about me. I am an architect (dooh) and I hold a senior position in a respectable architectural office in Ireland. Few years ago I tried to join the RIAI but because of my nationality ( non EU) I have been declined. I have been advised to obtain a degree recognised by EU and to do that I have approached DIT. I have to specify that I have 9years of architectural studies and more then 10 of experience as a project leader. I have mentioned all these information on a telephone conversation with a very nice lady from DIT, which has been very kind and sent me an application form. But surprise...the application form was for the first year. I rang back and enquire about this. I have been told that because of my nationality, which is a non EU, my qualifications cannot be recognized. I have asked what would it happen if over night my country will join the EU. Would that make me “smarter” overnight?? Obvious there has been no answer. After few rounds of telephone conversation I have been advised to fill in the forms for the advanced entries and to undertake the aptitude test. I have done that and at few months after I undertook the test I got a short letter saying that “unfortunately we cannot offer you a place this year” (or something similar to that). I have been shocked…the result of this test was that “I am not suitable to become an architect”. But I am already an architect… Obviously I was very surprised and I tried to see what happened. I rang RIBA and enquire about my qualifications. They told me that my qualifications are absolutely perfect and are recognised by them and there should be no problems. I have told my “boss” all this story and he told me that few other “non EU” architects that have been working for our office during the time, have been declined by DIT. That makes me wonder: Is that a DIT policy?? Is architecture and the architect different on the base of is nationality? After I spoke with RIBA and they told me that my degrees are recognised by them I realised that “Something is rotten in the state of DIT”. I don’t know what nor why but it just makes me sick. I have stopped all my enquires since, and I will keep working as an architect without any RIAI or DIT recognition. I do not need to be recognised by a institution who place above art and architecture few EU treaties. Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Caesar
Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:00 am
Location: Cork

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:09 pm

Why dont you join RIBA ? I think once you are a member of RIBA, you may find joining the RIAI easier? Not sure though.

That's absolutely scandalous though
User avatar
Paul Clerkin
Old Master
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 1999 1:00 am
Location: Monaghan

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby rag » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi,

I'm due to sit the DIT test the week after next. Any further advice to add to that above? Is the aptitude section and the drawing from a symbol section as straight forward as it sounds? Is there anything in particular that anyone would reccommend including in the personal statement? I've applyed to several UK colleges, is the statement similar to the one you make on the UCAS application?

Thanks.,

rag
rag
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:09 am

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby CM00 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:14 pm

Hey Rag,
Em.. that's pretty much it, you might want to go through the internet or a library or something and try these things called "indices" which are like a sequence of shapes and you have to add the last one. It starts off easy but does get complicated. Practice doing drawings quickly in boxes about an inch square, they don't give you too much time. Best of luck but don't worry, it really isn't the end of the world, It's a lot easier to get in in the UK, What Universities did you apply to? I'm doing architecture in Liverpool at the mo and it's really great. Hope this helps
CM00
Member
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:14 am
Location: Berlin

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby rag » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:52 pm

I sat the test last week. Went ok, no idea what the result will be, so fingures crossed. The section of eight square boxes had lines or curves in various positions instead of typed symbols. Short questionaire about what subjects people were studying too. Seven sittings of the test throughout the week. Luckily, first choice applications are down 10% or so to 900.

CM00, I applied to Queen's, ECA, University of Liverpool, Liverpool JM, Cardiff, and University of Westminster. Only ECA was unsucessful so far. Do people think that its worth going to the UK over DIT or UCD? Any opinions on the courses in the universities above? So far Cardiff and the two in Liverpool appear to have the edge for me.
rag
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:09 am

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby Padraic » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:10 pm

rag wrote:I sat the test last week. Went ok, no idea what the result will be, so fingures crossed. The section of eight square boxes had lines or curves in various positions instead of typed symbols. Short questionaire about what subjects people were studying too. Seven sittings of the test throughout the week. Luckily, first choice applications are down 10% or so to 900.

CM00, I applied to Queen's, ECA, University of Liverpool, Liverpool JM, Cardiff, and University of Westminster. Only ECA was unsucessful so far. Do people think that its worth going to the UK over DIT or UCD? Any opinions on the courses in the universities above? So far Cardiff and the two in Liverpool appear to have the edge for me.


hi im new to this site, i am about to go back to England to do my post graduate, I sat the DIT test in 2001 (I think) so did a friend of mine, we were both refused by DIT, we are both irish (just comment made by a previous post) but the test i think is the biggest load of crap going, I know people who have set the test 3 times, he said he filled in the paper nearly exactly the same the second and third time, and did very well the third time! my friend is now in UCD because of here high results from the leaving cert, i had to go to england, which i am really glad i did, the course there suits me much better than in UCD and DIT!

rag i hope you got in, but if you didnt, JM liverpool has a vast amount of irish doing architecture, and is well known in Ireland as well! also although you did not apply for it on Ucas, the University of Lincoln (previously Hull) has a good course, and a friend of mine rang them up after the leaving cert results and asked if he could enter the course (he had failed maths and therefore could not get in in ireland) he was accepted on other grounds, like art work or engineering! well hope this was of some use!
Padraic
Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby rag » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Mad! Padraic, your comments are somewhat timely. I am actaully just looking at studying at JM. I was unsuccessful with DIT. I originally had Cardiff has my firm choice, but didn't make the grade in Physics and JM was my insurance.

Do you know what the course is like? Is it any good? Any info on it is much appreciated,

I have to say that the UK system of college entry is much easier and much less stressful.
rag
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:09 am

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby Padraic » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:11 pm

rag wrote:Mad! Padraic, your comments are somewhat timely. I am actaully just looking at studying at JM. I was unsuccessful with DIT. I originally had Cardiff has my firm choice, but didn't make the grade in Physics and JM was my insurance.

Do you know what the course is like? Is it any good? Any info on it is much appreciated,

I have to say that the UK system of college entry is much easier and much less stressful.


Yeah the Uk system is a hell of a lot less stressfull, or maybe it is just because we concentrate so much on ireland that we didnt really think about the uk till we needed to! but on your question about JM liverpool, im afraid i never went to it, i didnt even get to visit it as it was going through renovations when i was applying! but I do know that it does have a good reputation in ireland, i think it concentrates on the science side of things like UCD but im not a hundred percent sure! but the most important thing to check before you accept the course in any university is to make sure that it has validation my the RIBA, I think the RIBA do a validation every 4 years, the last one been two years ago, i think JM liverpool got a conditional offer (but im not positive on this) obviously a University with uncondiontal valadtion would be best! It kind of works like the UCAS if you know what i mean!

There really should be a University review in this forum, im sure it would be very help full to anyone wishing to do architecture or switch university, maybe the admin would consider setting one up!
Padraic
Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby rag » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:43 pm

Padraic wrote:
There really should be a University review in this forum, im sure it would be very help full to anyone wishing to do architecture or switch university, maybe the admin would consider setting one up!


A university review is a great idea. It would certainly help applicants find courses that suit them best, as some people might prefer an art slant, or others science. It would be particularly useful, when university prospectuses all sound perfect, making it easily to sort the waffle from the quality substance.

Many thanks for all the info, Padraic. I know the course is accredited by RIBA and has the usual exemptions from RIBA parts I and II. One, more thing: it says that part II is a diploma. Are the difference between degrees and diplomas the same in the UK as in Ireland? There is also no mention of BArch degree, like many courses have in the UK.
rag
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:09 am

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby Padraic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:45 pm

it is all the same really ireland and england, just different ways of teaching in each university! I dont know about DIT but you get a BArch when you do your part II in UCD, part I is a BScience! I got a BArch in my part I in england, as i said university do their courses different, but at the end of the day you come out with the same thing Part III RIBA or RIAI and that is what you want! you just have to find a course that suits you!
Padraic
Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby Arkytekt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:25 pm

In DIT you only come out with a B.arch actually. Its annoying, cos you dont even get any qualification after the first 3 years, like you would in every other school. Its a disadvantage cos it means if you decide architecture is not for you, you come out with nothing at all after 3 years, and you basically have to slog away for 6 long years to get recognition for something you dont even like. Im not saying this happened to me, but i know of lots of people who stuck it out for 2 or 3 years in DIT only to come out with nothing for their efforts, and i think this is a crime. Then in fourth and fifth year there are a lot of disillusioned people who are sticking it out just to get their piece of paper.
In the end, DIT graduates officially only have one degree when everyone else has 2, even though they have undertaken the same work.
Seems a bit unfair.
Arkytekt
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:22 pm

Caesar wrote:Hey there

I’m new to this forum and I have to say I like it. I have noticed this post and I couldn’t ignore it. Before starting my story I will have to tell you few words about me. I am an architect (dooh) and I hold a senior position in a respectable architectural office in Ireland. Few years ago I tried to join the RIAI but because of my nationality ( non EU) I have been declined. I have been advised to obtain a degree recognised by EU and to do that I have approached DIT. I have to specify that I have 9years of architectural studies and more then 10 of experience as a project leader. I have mentioned all these information on a telephone conversation with a very nice lady from DIT, which has been very kind and sent me an application form. But surprise...the application form was for the first year. I rang back and enquire about this. I have been told that because of my nationality, which is a non EU, my qualifications cannot be recognized. I have asked what would it happen if over night my country will join the EU. Would that make me “smarter” overnight?? Obvious there has been no answer. After few rounds of telephone conversation I have been advised to fill in the forms for the advanced entries and to undertake the aptitude test. I have done that and at few months after I undertook the test I got a short letter saying that “unfortunately we cannot offer you a place this year” (or something similar to that). I have been shocked…the result of this test was that “I am not suitable to become an architect”. But I am already an architect… Obviously I was very surprised and I tried to see what happened. I rang RIBA and enquire about my qualifications. They told me that my qualifications are absolutely perfect and are recognised by them and there should be no problems. I have told my “boss” all this story and he told me that few other “non EU” architects that have been working for our office during the time, have been declined by DIT. That makes me wonder: Is that a DIT policy?? Is architecture and the architect different on the base of is nationality? After I spoke with RIBA and they told me that my degrees are recognised by them I realised that “Something is rotten in the state of DIT”. I don’t know what nor why but it just makes me sick. I have stopped all my enquires since, and I will keep working as an architect without any RIAI or DIT recognition. I do not need to be recognised by a institution who place above art and architecture few EU treaties. Thank you for taking your time to read this.


I understand your frustration with the system, but you are making it out to be worse than you are. The fact that your degree isn't recognaised is nothing to do with your degree but where to studied. If an Irish person studied along side you, they also wouldn't be recognaised over here. Similarly some countries might not recognaise irish degrees. DIT can't award you a degree just because you already have one. I have no doubt that your degree is just as high a standard as any other and you are just as quailifed. But they can't award you a degree without study there. Remember a degree says where as well as what you studied. If DIT (or UCD) were to award you a degree, why shouldn't somebody who studied in Liverpool get one too. That would be pointless. It isn't up to DIT to recognaise your degree, they mostly likely do as some lecturers didn't not study in Ireland, but DIT cannot do a swap with the two degrees. It is up to the RIAI to grant you membership.







Arkytekt wrote:In DIT you only come out with a B.arch actually. Its annoying, cos you dont even get any qualification after the first 3 years, like you would in every other school. Its a disadvantage cos it means if you decide architecture is not for you, you come out with nothing at all after 3 years, and you basically have to slog away for 6 long years to get recognition for something you dont even like. Im not saying this happened to me, but i know of lots of people who stuck it out for 2 or 3 years in DIT only to come out with nothing for their efforts, and i think this is a crime. Then in fourth and fifth year there are a lot of disillusioned people who are sticking it out just to get their piece of paper.
In the end, DIT graduates officially only have one degree when everyone else has 2, even though they have undertaken the same work.
Seems a bit unfair.



I can understand the anoyannce of that, but it is purely a material thing. A person with an Honours Degree, is never going to be over looked for a person with a ordinary and honours.
In fact the honors makes the ordinary degree pointless. And in most cases where they were part of the same program wouldn't be included.
Bren88
Member
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:47 am

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby zelemon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Does anyone know if they had changed the nature of the aptitude tests for DIT, is it still the book of puzzles followed by a short essay on yourself followed by the 8 symbols you develop into a drawing?
zelemon
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby jrk92 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 am

hey ppl:) I have lived in Ireland since 2007 so its almost 3 years and I applied for architecture course in DIT. I got a letter form DIT a few day ago and the date of suitability test is 29.03.2010. I worry, because someone said that there is a part of verbal test... unfortunately I am not living in Ireland for 10 years and I still have problems with my english:( in another topic some guy wrote we have to ''name'' some blocks or something like that.I think I am suitable for architecture but I can lose marks because of it and I won't be able to pass it...
jrk92
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 am

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm

There are two parts to the DIT exam, first an appitude test and written section, if you pass the written exam you will be called for a verbal interview.

You are probably not the first person in this situation, you should contact DIT directly and ask them if they have a policy for this?
spoil_sport
Member
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: how to get in to D.I.T

Postby pico » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 pm

Easons have a couple of good paperbacks such as one below with mental aptitude questions. Definitely worth buying and practicing in weeks before to get your brain thinking the right way before the Aptitude Test.

http://www.eason.ie/look/9780749449315/IQ-and-Aptitude-Tests/Philip-Carter
pico
Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:39 pm


Return to World Architecture



cron