need your help to come to a decision

World architecture... what's happening generally....

need your help to come to a decision

Postby Christian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:42 pm

I've got a question - and don't laugh: I work as an architect in Germany. For lack of job offerings, I decided to go to England and it seems, that there will be enough to do for architects considering the job offers alone in the internet. But this is the exact point of my question: I don't know where to start applying. Is it just London? What about Birmingham, Machester? Is there a underhand architectural capitol in England?
Please: give me your opinions. I want to hear everything! Thanks from Hamburg, Christian
Christian

Re: need your help to come to a decision

Postby StephenC » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:15 pm

You can try Ireland as well...there is no end to the work over here it seems.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby marcliam » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:11 pm

At a guess many of the larger architectural practices are based in London, however there are small to medium practices dotted all over the SE of England. My guess would be to base yourself in Surrey so that you can either commute into London or find somewhere more local.

The only problem with Surrey though is the generally high property and rental prices!! Not ideal if you are job-hunting. :(
marcliam

Postby Hugh » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:59 am

Apart from London, the cities with established enclaves of good architects are Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol/Bath. Some might add Leeds and Newcastle, though the choice becomes more limited there. If you look north of the border to Scotland, Glasgow and Edinburgh both have healthy architectural communities.

A place to start looking is the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) microsite http://www.riba-jobs.com
Hugh

Postby Boyler » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:30 pm

Is there any style that you associate with your architectual designs? Do you want to create anything unique and personal in your plans?
Boyler

Return to World Architecture