Look at de state of Cork, like!

Re: Look at de state of Cork, like!

Postby Radioactiveman » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:37 pm

Ralph Riegel reports in todays Irish Independent that:
PROPOSALS for a multi-million-euro hotel are to come before An Bord Pleanala after the developer confirmed he will challenge the refusal of a town council to sanction the project.

The €50m-plus hotel and luxury housing project, proposed by the Lawton family, for Fermoy in north Cork has been hailed by its supporters as "an economic godsend" for the town.
However, Fermoy Town Council rejected the project after a concerted campaign of local opposition to it.
Opponents claimed the scale of the project and the density of luxury homes involved in its residential element were too great for the proposed location adjacent to Fermoy's riverside town park. Their main complaints centred on the height of the hotel complex, the inclusion of 73 luxury town houses beside the complex, the visual impact on the area and the possibility of traffic congestion.
The venture - by Lawton Developments - included a four-storey hotel with a 100-bedroom plus capacity coupled with 73 luxury town houses in an adjacent five acre site.
Now, the developers confirmed they are to appeal the rejection - warning that they were "very, very disappointed" by the council's decision.
Fermoy Enterprise Board (FEB) Chairman, Cllr Michael Hanley, admitted he felt the project's rejection was like "a body-blow for the town".

Ralph Riegel- Irish Independent
Radioactiveman

Postby who_me » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:38 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but there seems to be an initiative now running to promote Cork city centre (presumably to counter increased competition from Mahon Point and the like). There are 'Cork City Centre' posters in many shop windows, and seem to be linked to the cometocork.com website.

I'm not sure how necessary the move is, the city centre doesn't appear to be struggling, and the Academy St. and Cornmaket St. developments are only going to improve that, but the website is nicely done. Nice Cork (city centre obviously) map on it too.

Speaking of maps, Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk) seems to have decent quality satellite images of Cork city now, handy if you're trying to visualise a site. I believe there's also a software download version which works quicker.
who_me

Postby mickeydocs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:17 pm

who_me wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but there seems to be an initiative now running to promote Cork city centre (presumably to counter increased competition from Mahon Point and the like). There are 'Cork City Centre' posters in many shop windows, and seem to be linked to the cometocork.com website.

I'm not sure how necessary the move is, the city centre doesn't appear to be struggling, and the Academy St. and Cornmaket St. developments are only going to improve that, but the website is nicely done. Nice Cork (city centre obviously) map on it too.

Speaking of maps, Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk) seems to have decent quality satellite images of Cork city now, handy if you're trying to visualise a site. I believe there's also a software download version which works quicker.

what's the status with the cornmarket developemnt... has work actually started?
mickeydocs

Postby lexington » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:55 pm

mickeydocs wrote:what's the status with the cornmarket developemnt... has work actually started?

Scaffolding has been erected and the Musgrave Building warehousing has been demolished with excavation works on-going until (it is hoped) early August. Foundations will rapidly proceed thereafter and the Noddys Building will be demolished. Primary construction is anticipated for mid-to-late August/early September (depending on excavation works - which Rockfell Investments have stated that they wish to have complete as soon as humanly possible).
lexington
Old Master

Postby ewankennedy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:02 pm

Speaking of excavation works. A few weeks back i was walking by the Grand parade plaza site on South main street and I though I saw activity on the site. When I peeped in it was though the basement foundations (???) were completely flooded. i read a media report there about a month ago that said a crane would be erected and all by now but nothing seems to be happening. The activity i saw I thought was John paul construction finally demolioshing the hotel but alas i was wrong. ??? This site has been idle for well over a year - except for excavation works.

I hope Rockfell are right about Cornmarket street and they dont end up like the above site. As far as I know, I read somewhere, that they had a lot of surveyance already out of the way and investigations shouldnt take more than a month.
ewankennedy

Postby who_me » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:19 am

Any ideas of what's in store for the old warehouse on Fr. Matthew's Quay? I presume it's going to be more or less completely demolished - I can't see how it could easily be adapted.
who_me

Postby lexington » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:38 am

who_me wrote:Any ideas of what's in store for the old warehouse on Fr. Matthew's Quay? I presume it's going to be more or less completely demolished - I can't see how it could easily be adapted.

It's actually being revamped to some extent - well the facade at least, the interior is to be gutted. Tom McCarthy is redeveloping the former mill as a new residential, office, bar and restaurant facility (extended from his Jacobs on the Mall premises) with 30 car-parking spaces to the rear over 3 levels. The project is designed by Murray O'Laoire and currently under construction by O'Flynns of Banteer,
lexington
Old Master

Postby dowlingm » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:54 am

on the Fermoy development - I freely admit I haven't seen it but I suspect it will be an architectural nightmare if Hanley is for it. Fermoy town centre has nothing wrong with it that a bunker buster bomb couldn't sort out.
dowlingm

Postby Radioactiveman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:00 pm

Any news on Greg Coughlan's 50ft high bronze sculpture for Lapp's Quay? I presumed it was just a matter of slotting it into place once the appeal to ABP was dealt with. It was due to be unveiled in April :mad:
Radioactiveman

Postby altuistic » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:03 pm

My understanding is that the 12.9m sculpture, which was successful on appeal, is now due to be erected for September. I don't usually have much opinion on these things but I was most disappointed with the behaviour of the appelant on this occassion.
altuistic

Postby theblimp » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Oliver Plunkett Street and Pembroke Street - those 4-5 foot poles inserted between footpath and street every few yards. Anyone know is this intended to be the ultimate treatment for these. I had been under the impression that they were only temporary until something more aesthetically pleasing replaced them, but they've been there for a quite a while. If they're intended to stay then someone needs a good kick up the arse. Yes, I know they prevent parking but there are more attractive ways of doing this. On the subject of Pembroke Street, are the Imperial Hotel going to leave that makeshift timber entrance into their new cafe there forever?
theblimp

Postby Radioactiveman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:50 pm

theblimp wrote:Oliver Plunkett Street and Pembroke Street - those 4-5 foot poles inserted between footpath and street every few yards. Anyone know is this intended to be the ultimate treatment for these. I had been under the impression that they were only temporary until something more aesthetically pleasing replaced them, but they've been there for a quite a while. If they're intended to stay then someone needs a good kick up the arse. Yes, I know they prevent parking but there are more attractive ways of doing this. On the subject of Pembroke Street, are the Imperial Hotel going to leave that makeshift timber entrance into their new cafe there forever?

My understanding is that they are to be replaced with 'novel' lighting fixtures which will change colour and apparently incorporate the light within a bollard type object- sounds strange but I dont know when we'll get to judge for ourselves since despite all the paving being complete, no sign of said lights yet.
Radioactiveman

Postby lexington » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:47 pm

The scaffolding is being removed on Haranka Ltd/The Carrolls Quay Development Co. project at John Redmond Street and Knapps Square. In a few months, this perspective will be masked by Phase 2 of OSB Group's Camden Court (sales on the first phase have been strong), designed by James Leahy & Associates. That development has received much praise in architectural circles for its unique design which comprises of a series of edges & curves comprised to home 44 apartments on a difficult, narrow site. Phase 2 will see an additional 50 apartments added over 6 storeys with a new Pa Johnsons Bar and Cork Arts Theatre constituent. The 2nd Phase has also received praise from the likes of CCC and An Bord Pleanala.

The image above shows a crane at work on the Camden Court site, with John F. Supple Contractors assigned to the project.

Back to the Haranka development - it is a 6-storey Section 23 residential project comprising of 90 apartments units (85 in the original application, plus a further 5 at rooftop were permitted thanks to a subsequent application) designed by BOYD BARRETT MURPHY O'CONNOR Architects, built by Cumnor Construction. The design was suppose to blend and even mimic the clusters of old bell towers, church spires and rectories to the west of the development across John Redmond Street. Personally, I don't think its up to much - but thats up for debate, anyone??? Phase 2 of Camden Court should mask this with a more unusual aesthetic provision.

The image below was provided by Devin in the architecture of cork city thread and is here to given you a perspective on the Camden Court development.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not far away, PJ Hegarty Building Contractors are exploring options on developing their attractively located site adjoining the Cork HQ on Carrolls Quay. The site extends to the north of their office building and is currently used as staff parking.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lexington
Old Master

Abercrombie & Fitch set to hit Irish market

Postby lexington » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:39 am

:D American fashion icons Abercrombie & Fitch are set to roll out an estimated 5 stores across Ireland starting from late 2006/early 2007. In what is expected to be their first move into the European market, the American giants have cited their move into the Irish market given the young affluent population and similarities in 'style culture' shared between American and Irish markets. A&F are already an established brand among 16 to 25 year olds (their core market) in Ireland - with many J1 students returning with volumes of the store chain's products. The source with Hollister, a wholly owned A&F subsidary pointed out that a CFO & CEO had been appointed to the new European division set up last January by A&F and they had identified Ireland as been the ideal first foray into the European market (no news on the UK prospects yet). The first store is set for Dublin, which it is hoped will ultimately house 2 stores over the coming years. Other stores are earmarked for Cork (at least 1) and possibly Limerick.

It was supposed in a report by The Sunday Business Post last Feburary 2005 that the redeveloped Dundrum Shopping Centre, as part of Castlethorn Construction's Dundrum Town Centre, would provide an ideal location. In Cork, undoubtedly Academy Street would offer an ideal location - its completion is scheduled in and around the time A&F intend to roll out. Undoubtedly Joe O'Reilly and Owen O'Callaghan would be chasing after such a desirable, status providing and lucrative tenant for the respective projects.
lexington
Old Master

*updates*

Postby lexington » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:39 pm

:) Frinailla have been greenlit for a development of 65 residential units at Springmount in Glanmire. The steep 4 acre site was sold to the developers last year for an undisclosed sum through Global Properties and will house 25 apartment units and 40 duplex units.

See Frinailla for development images.

:) Tarragona Solutions have also been given the go ahead to develop a new medical centre on the former Bowen Group HQ along the Lee Road. The centre, designed by Deady Gahan Architects, will see the construction of a 2-storey block and 3-storey block housing 17 medical suites and ancillary offices.

:) Heiton Holdings have been cleared to develop a 96-bedroom, 4-storey hotel with multi-storey car-park, leisure facilities, bar, restaurant and conferencing facilities on the site of their Heiton Buckley Building Supplies Centre at the Bandon Roundabout in Ardarostig, Bishopstown (along the South Ring/Ballincollig By-pass). The decision has come early.

:cool: Castlelands Construction have been granted plans for 125 new homes and a creche at Baneshane in Midelton. This follows another addition in a long line of housing developments granted or planned for Midelton. Castlelands are also formulating plans for a significant city development. I'm looking ford to reading their proposal pitch. ;)

:cool: Jerry Keohane has been cleared to construct 24 holiday homes at Lee Valley Gold Club near Farran. As part of his plans to expand the golf resort, a new gym, golf retail unit, conferencing facilities and extended restaurant have also been permitted.

Just regarding the Clarke's Bridge office development, I posted (a while back) an image of the original proposed 6-storey design for the site. The new 7-storey design has been altered to include a number of more aesthetically pleasing features by architects Coughlan de Keyser. Copper and brick elements have been added to give more character to the new project and allow it not only be 'landmark' but also respectful of its neighbours (see image below of the Southern Elevation - facing onto the river). John Dwyer intends to lodge his plans for the adjoining site soon.

lexington
Old Master

Postby Radioactiveman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:31 pm

After London's success, what about CORK 2016?
Sailing in the harbour? Football in Pairc Ui Caoimh, Table Tennis in Neptune? :)
Or am i dreaming? :D
Radioactiveman

Re: Abercrombie & Fitch set to hit Irish market

Postby jungle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 pm

lexington wrote::D American fashion icons Abercrombie & Fitch are set to roll out an estimated 5 stores across Ireland starting from late 2006/early 2007.

It would be great if someone could look at the retail chains that are likely to open in Ireland in the next few years and try to persuade them to open their Irish admin headquarters in the Cork area. In the near future, I can see companies like Esprit and MediaMarkt establishing a presence in Ireland. Even if they'll only be providing a handful of jobs, it would be great to see them go to Cork or some other Irish city rather than Dublin.
jungle

Postby lexington » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm

Radioactiveman wrote:After London's success, what about CORK 2016?
Sailing in the harbour? Football in Pairc Ui Caoimh?:D

That's if Pairc Ui Chaoimh is still around! ;)
lexington
Old Master

Postby Radioactiveman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:55 pm

Indeed Lex, from what I hear it won't be around for much longer (at least in the form we recognise it). The question is, how many of the rumours are true with regard to this tri-partite deal. Anybody got some concrete information?
Radioactiveman

Postby lexington » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Radioactiveman wrote:Indeed Lex, from what I hear it won't be around for much longer (at least in the form we recognise it). The question is, how many of the rumours are true with regard to this tri-partite deal. Anybody got some concrete information?

Or at all! I'll be updating you all on that soon hopefully (when I don't know). If all goes many an inevitable objection and dropped jaw will follow. An article on Pairc Ui Chaoimh's speculative future will be published in tomorrow's edition of Inside Cork I hear.
lexington
Old Master

Postby shrink2cork » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:51 pm

theblimp wrote:Oliver Plunkett Street and Pembroke Street - those 4-5 foot poles inserted between footpath and street every few yards. Anyone know is this intended to be the ultimate treatment for these. I had been under the impression that they were only temporary until something more aesthetically pleasing replaced them, but they've been there for a quite a while. If they're intended to stay then someone needs a good kick up the arse. Yes, I know they prevent parking but there are more attractive ways of doing this. On the subject of Pembroke Street, are the Imperial Hotel going to leave that makeshift timber entrance into their new cafe there forever?

Oliver Plunkett 4.5 foot poles were going to be temporary- but the powers that be have run out of funds, so they will be there for some time. :confused:
shrink2cork

Postby dowlingm » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 pm

The Toronto Star has a very good weekday article called the Fixer, where stupid things like that can be published to shame the City into fixing them. It's kinda like the People's Republic of Cork's "pothole of the month" section. It lists who the responsible person in City government is, how they responded and if it can't be fixed in a short time they check back a few weeks later to see if anything was done.
dowlingm

Re: Frinailla Victoria Cross Development

Postby Too many forms! » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:38 pm

lexington wrote::) Frinailla are expected to lodge their plans for Victoria Cross either today or Monday. The plans comprise of a development of 25 apartments over a large commercial unit. The development will range from 6 to 7 storeys over basement car-parking - and will be developed on the site of the former Plumbing Utilities Store across the road from Aras Developments' new student residence (currently under construction by Heberger Construction, designed by O'Shea Leader) and just north of the HSE's Cork Farm Centre. I hope to have images soon.

Any pictures yet of the Victoria Cross development?
Too many forms!

Re: Frinailla Victoria Cross Development

Postby lexington » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:13 am

Too many forms! wrote:Any pictures yet of the Victoria Cross development?

You will remember earlier a post was issued noting Frinailla had entered planning for a 25-unit residential development over commercial facility and basement car-parking. The development, planned for the former Plumbing Utilities Store bordering Ashbrook apartment complex and Top Car Motor Dealership, was designed by Geraldine McNamara of Richard Rainey & Associates and ranges in height between 6 and 7-storeys. Apartments will range in size between 55m sq for one-bedroom units, 90m sq for 2-bedroom units and a 190m sq duplex penthouse with 4-bedrooms (these scale apartments have been actively encouraged by CCC and its nice to see more of these units come in to circulation). Each apartment will have 2 basement parking spaces and basement storage facilities.

ImageImage

In my opinion, a generally quality project - its a very difficult site to work with, but I do think that this project will compliment the area in the long-run given prospective and current proposals shaping up nearby.
lexington
Old Master

Postby Lillie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi All
new to this site as of today. Quick query for all you experts out there - anyone know how academy street got its name? Have done some research in the city library local history reference section to no avail.
BTW - I'm involved in branding and visual design and particularly interested in how brands for developments/buildings etc can be more meaningful, coherent and sympathetic to the architectural vision and function as well as performing a marketing function. But if we acknowledge that branding is about possessing specific real estate in a consumer's mind (to slightly misquote one of the brand gurus) does this forum see any successes or failures in this regard in Cork?
Lillie

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland