music and architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

music and architecture

Postby blrock2 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:00 pm

i am researching for my dissertation on music and architecture, in particular looking at forms of notation and am trying to find information on any projects/artists related to the subject.

i discovered the site on Eileen Grey where it mentions a connection to Labanotation in one of her projects - E1027.
Does anyone know where i can find out more about this or any similar project?

i've already looked at Xennakis, Liebeskind, Steven Holl, Errol H. Taut, John Cage etc.

any suggestions?
blrock2

Postby roskav » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:39 pm

Check out the chapter "Dr. How's Magical Music Box" by Lionel March in "RM Schindler" Academy Editions Ernst & Sohn 1993 ISBN 1-85490-159-1 (HB)
roskav

Postby garethace » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:56 pm

I like the parallels between teaching Music to young people, and teaching Architecture to young people. Practically everything i could ever say, or wish to say on the subject, has been covered and expressed much better by Thomas A. Regelski, Ph.D.
School of Music
SUNY Fredonia NY 14063

http://www.nyu.edu/education/music/mayday/maydaygroup/papers/crittheoryrev.htm

Let me know if you find it very useful or interesting. I think the article should give you some ideas at least on how to parallel the two disiplines in your paper.

"Endullment" of students

In practice, then, results too often are not only not good in terms of empowering students musically for life. Negative results and other unintended side effects often worsen the situation: for example, poor attitudes toward the irrelevance of music class itself; or, in ensembles, the averaging effect of large numbers that masks the musical weaknesses of individuals.
garethace

music and architecture

Postby supergrass » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:49 pm

Music and Architecture.

I'm also currently in the process of writing my dissertation on the subject of Music and Architecture: 'Architecture as a translation of music'. I've had a few problems trying to find some relevent books/case studies on the subject. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
supergrass

Postby Mars » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:54 am

hello!!

i choose music as a generative element in my dissertation as well. i am trying to incorporate the idea that each musical genre has its own style (eg: jazz, rock, blues etc...) so i am trying to create the spaces with respect to the particular genre while at the same time linking these spaces and genres tru a chronological time line from its origins of jazz to the type of modern music that we all hear now. Any suggestions or any referances would be appriciated. Thanks.
Mars

Re: music and architecture

Postby moonstarr » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:27 pm

I am studying architecture ina french school and i am currently working on a project where i am treating the building as i would compose a song. if anyone has any examples of architects who worked on such a project please let me know it will save me a lot of time!
moonstarr

Postby magistra » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:45 pm

blrock2 wrote:i am researching for my dissertation on music and architecture, in particular looking at forms of notation and am trying to find information on any projects/artists related to the subject.

i discovered the site on Eileen Grey where it mentions a connection to Labanotation in one of her projects - E1027.

i've already looked at Xennakis, Liebeskind, Steven Holl, Errol H. Taut, John Cage etc.

any suggestions?

hello i have the same problem with you....i found a book with the title Soundspace and it says about projects with musical concept......have you found anything else about Our subject?

Magistra

and something else i have been to Riba (royal institute of architecture) in London and the only book that i could find from Xenakis was in french.....have you maybe got it in English? and also does it say anything important?

Magistra
magistra

Postby estudio global » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:33 am

Hello! everybody, we are Omar, and Helder and we work in a project called, ARCHITECURE BEATS PER MINUTE....
Every architectural space conjures a sound, which coexists and shapes the unique architectural elements.
Building the future requires us to create both visual textures, as well as audio elements.
Architecture beats per minute is a project in search of sounds for a non-existent reality, one that is the logical progression of the nexts generation of physical architecture. To conform this project the music submissions should reflect, and be inspired by, futuristic paths of structure and form. skyscrapers, museums, cultural centers, entire cities - anything that propels and illuminates our vision of the future.

http://www.abpm.home-page.org/
Please check the web site, it's a interesting contest and send me your commentary, Thank you!
estudio global

Postby rajendrabj » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:27 pm

Hi, Everyone. I had long standing thoughts on this particular subject. First I would say both Music and Architecture are art forms. They are expressions of mankind. So, I feel that it is more in the brain and the feelings that come along with that impacts the visual sense of every person. Space and Sound might go hand in hand. But then how we relate and reflect on our personality varies from person to person. So just trying to design spaces based on sounds may not be a fruitful proposition. We have to understand the brain functionality and how it tries to recollect different architectural spaces or vice versa. If the brain is studied in depth and its corelativity aspects are understood, then it becomes quite easy to relate any art forms, be it Music and Architecture or any otehr combination. Let me know your thoughts on this and I can share some of my findings on this.
rajendrabj

Postby yukti » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Hey,im planning 2 do my dissertation on'music and architecture'..analyzing how the different genres of both the arts co-relate..If anyone has researched on this aspect,kindly mail me..Il highly appreciate it.thanx
yukti

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:08 pm

Raise the rafters

Lloyd's of London, the Gherkin and St Bart's Hospital seem unlikely concert venues. But great music and great buildings belong together, says Jonathan Glancey

Saturday June 11, 2005
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,1503917,00.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Erum akhtar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:38 am

i really agree to ur idea that it is our mind which depicts things differently ias a quote says " tow ppl can look at the same thing and see it differently" and that way of looking develops from our surroundings where we grow up and where we learn it all , and that is what is really to be kept in mind. and as you mentioned about your findings please do share them
Erum akhtar

Postby sven » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:19 am

yukti wrote:Hey,im planning 2 do my dissertation on'music and architecture'..analyzing how the different genres of both the arts co-relate..If anyone has researched on this aspect,kindly mail me..Il highly appreciate it.thanx

Hi there
I finished a PhD on Xenakis' architecture last year. It might be of use to you (it 's in French though). You can find it in .pdf via http://lib.ugent.be, then search for my name under 'author'.

sincerely
sven sterken
sven

Postby sven » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:21 am

Hi there
I finished a PhD on Xenakis' architecture last year. It might be of use to you (it 's in French though). You can find it in .pdf via http://lib.ugent.be, then search for my name under 'author'.

sincerely
sven sterken
sven

Postby iro » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:44 am

Hello!!!

I have an essay on one of xenakis's architectural projects, the vacational house that he designed for his friend Mache in Amorgos, Greece. I don't seem to find anything about the concept of the organisation of the plan and facades. I can only assume things, but there isn't any bibliography available (apart from 2-3 books and a few articles) here in Greece. The worst part is that I would really like to know if he mentionns anythig about it in hiw book "MUSIQUE. ARCHITECTURE", or about the way that he worked when he tried to combine music, maths and architecture, but it isn't anywhere available, and I can't find it in amazon too. Is there anyone who can help me out? Any information is accepted with gratitude!!!!!

iro
iro

Postby shyam » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 am

blrock2 wrote:i am researching for my dissertation on music and architecture, in particular looking at forms of notation and am trying to find information on any projects/artists related to the subject.

any suggestions?

you can see this book Architecture as a Translation of Music (Pamphlet Architecture)
shyam

Postby NickRolls » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Hello!
I am a student currently working on a project involving a centre for music in York, England. This site seems to be a fantastic resource, so if anyone has information to share, or something to say on the subject - dont hesitate to send an email.
n.rolls3622@student.leedsmet.ac.uk.
Thanks.
NickRolls

Music & Architecture

Postby millencolin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:31 pm

Hello,
I'm also currently in the process of writing my thesis on the subject of Music and Architecture. I've had a few problems trying to find some relevent books/case studies on the subject, because I'm living in Istanbul; but I can order that books from USA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!
millencolin

Postby spark » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:52 pm

I have come across this PhD thesis just a few months ago from Sydney University. It is very well written too:

Author Yi, Dae-Am.
Title Musical analogy in Gothic & Renaissance architecture : a study of rational proportion in architecture / by Dae-Am Yi.
Publisher 1991.

I am not sure if your library could request a copy, though.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
spark

Postby arashsalek » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi there.
I’m doing the same research for my dissertation too. But more about architectural historical aspects. Could you please let me know how far you are and which references have you find.
Regards
arashsalek

Postby arashsalek » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Music and Architecture ....:rolleyes:
I want to do a total research about the relation between music and architecture and the usage of musical forms in architecture decoration even in urban designing
Can anybody help me to find some useful references books and articles about this issue? Tax.
arashsalek

Re: music and architecture in RIO DE JANEIRO

Postby jkfree » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Dear friends of music and architecture!

That was so great reading your comments above.
Me, too, I am researching and presenting my results on a podcast - RadioFavela - The Sound of Rio.

I am a trained architect from Germany, and want to invite you to my podcast and weblog RadioFavela where everyone can participate in discussions. The main topic covers the relationship between music and architecture. Countries like Brazil are based on an oral culture may it be due to illiteracy or just a way to live.

After my theoretic research project titled 'Not assumable becomes consumable ... ... ... becomes subsumable' (in German 'Unfassbares wird hörbar ... ... ... wird fassbar) which analyzes the situation of the megacity of Rio de Janeiro, I had to recognize, that the situation there is not assumable. So many laws are controlling the city, that it is impossible to make a complete analysis. But on the other hand we, the inhabitants or visitors of the megacity, are well fed with consumable actions of the city. This cultural production is mainly originating from the favelas. I think of music like samba, hiphop, or baile funk, and films like 'City of Gods' or 'RadioFavela – uma Onda no Ar'. After this resounding consumption I wanted to participate as well and hence contributed action which is subsumable.

If this research sounds interesting to you, come and visit the blog and leave your comments. Since I am still working on it, I appreciate any productive criticism, comments or feedback. A co-operation to other cities facing the same or similar problems are more than welcome.

Click here to be linked to the blog:
http://www.ar2com.de/radiofavela-blog/

So, I hope to meet you on the weblog, keep on researching.
Regards,
jkfree.

P.S.: For those who are not familiar with media like weblog and podcast I added some technical information at the bottom. Both -program and podcast- are totally free of charge.

P.P.S.: Please feel free to forward this message to friends or colleagues interested in the subject.

xxx Help to get the Information from the Blog automatically xxx

RSS feed for MP3
If you would like to subscribe to the podcast and that it automatically feeds you with the newest episodes (audio) you can put the RSS feed http://www.ar2com.de/radiofavela-blog/?feed=rss2 into your podcatcher.
If you have iTunes already installed you can go directly to it http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=216110962

You need a Podcatcher?
You can use various podcatchers. Here are the links for 2 free podcatchers:
iPodder, now called Juice: http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/
iTunes: http://www.apple.com/de/itunes/download/

RSS feed for comments or News feed
This feed updates automatically written comments from the blog to your feed reader.
http://www.ar2com.de/radiofavela-blog/?feed=comments-rss2

You need a Feedreader?
Probably your email or web browser have integrated support for RSS feeds.
jkfree

Postby jkfree » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Folks!

I am making a survey about architecture, music, dance.
Please participate at www.survey.ar2com.de

In a few weeks I will post the results, but it is already very interesting.
Cheers,
jkfree

delete it

Postby jkfree » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:16 pm

g
jkfree

Postby E-J » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:00 am

Like most of the people in this thread I couldn't find any information about the relation between music and architecture. as a landscape architecture student my interest tends more towards the relation between landscape and music. I'm looking for any kind of information on this subject, especially on realised projects (do there even exist projects with a architecture/music relation?)

I know the process of designing and the process of composing have a lot of similarities, is there a way to combine them? for example: you've got a project and you have to show your product in just 10 minutes to the client. it would be awesome to show your design not only visually on a poster but also audibly.

a nice example of landscape/music relations is this music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoiGDzWhTV0&feature=related
the starting point was the music and the landscape reacts to the music in several different ways. i've analised it in dutch on this blog: http://landscapedesignstudio2.blogspot.com/search/label/muziek%20landschap, if i have time i will translate it.

any opinions/documents/projects on this subject are welcome!

E-J
E-J

Next

Return to World Architecture