Mother Redcaps

Mother Redcaps

Postby Punchbowl » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:58 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with the Mother Redcap site? Rumour or indeed , fact, has it that the whole complex is to be demolished for a replacement bar/eating house and apartment plex. Is the building of any historical significance ?? It does say 1760 on the main wall.
Punchbowl

Postby PVC King » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:00 pm

The sign also says for sale by tender and has done for years. All enquiries to Lambert Smyth Hampton 118 Lower Baggot St ;)
PVC King

Re: Mother Redcaps

Postby Punchbowl » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:19 pm

Thought I'd ressurect this one as it's very shortly to be demolished..

There's also a 'party' planned

From Hotpress.com

Mother Redcaps demolition party this Sunday

20 Jun 2005

A host of local bands will be paying their final respects to a great Dublin institution

One of the oldest and most cherished pubs and music venues in Dublin, Mother Redcaps Tavern is marked for demolition early next month.

To commemorate the passing of this Dublin 8 institution (off Thomas St. for those making their first and final visit), a bunch of local bands are staging a night of loud music and peaceful protest titled "Dodge The Wrecking Ball".

Taking place this Sunday, June 26, the bill includes recent Hot Press interviewees Crumb, Melba (ex Eileen Gogan The Would Be's), Groom, Richer Than Astronauts, The Ruby Tailights (ex-Sunbear) and the inimitable House Of Mexico, who play the first hometown gig since their storming of Tralee of last month.

Doors open at 7.30pm and admission is priced at a mere €7.

The Hot Press Newsdesk
Punchbowl

Re: Mother Redcaps

Postby Punchbowl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 am

I'm bumping this again as I'm wondering what's happening? I notice that the site has been sold, and have no idea what amendments to the existing PP are planned, but I would imagine a scaled-down version of the original is in the offing.

As we know, part of the complex contains a substantial section of the old city wall and the original buildings are historic in nature, despite not being considered for entry to the record of protected structures.

I might seem slightly obsessed, considering I resurrected my own (old) thread but I had a walk around the site today, and having googled it, I came across this thread (having forgotten I'd even posted it)

My issue here is not necessarily the quality of the buildings, but more their place in the historic streetscape, the street-lines, the brickwork and the sensitivity to the overall area. I normally hate facade only retention, as I get a kick out of the interior layouts of old buildings more, but this is one stretch that could benefit from retaining as much of the fabric as possible, even if only the exterior.
Punchbowl

Return to Ireland