RIBA Award win for gm+ad

World architecture... what's happening generally....

RIBA Award win for gm+ad

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 pm

Congrulations Alan... sore head in the morning no doubt

Three Scottish buildings make long list for Stirling
Archiseek / Scotland / News / 2005 / June 17

The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) tonight celebrated Scottish architecture by giving RIBA Awards to three buildings across the country. Projects honoured range in size and use from an office building in Glasgow with an innovative LED lighting system incorporated into its glass cladding which permits the exterior to go through colour changes; to affordable housing at Rothesay on the Isle of Bute with impressive sustainability built in; to the major achievement of the Scottish Parliament Building.

http://scotland.archiseek.com/news/2005/000114.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: RIBA Award win for gm+ad

Postby PVC King » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:41 am

May I be the second to say well done Alan your firm has put together an excellent portfolio over a relatively short period of time. I am sure that unlike the Scottish taxpayer your client has made a very well considered investment that would be a trophy building in any portfolio.
PVC King

Postby genario » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:01 pm

I want to also say well done to the architects but I have been looking at these buildings and I look at the portfolio for these architects. I think it is good that these architects are very popular (?) but I do not understand how these buildings of the portfolio are so special. I am an architect of course as well. I am sure many of my designs is not very much loved by every body but on what grounds is the RIBA awarded buildings of these architects nominated for this award?

But well done also. Thank you. :)

genario
genario

The Awards in Full

Postby trace » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:34 pm

trace

Postby phil » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:22 pm

Well done AlanD
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:43 pm

Yes Alan - a fine fine building. I now little about contemporary architecture, or indeed any for that matter :), but it's my kinda building.
The vertical rectangle is such an elegant shape for any window, especially when used in such quantities and in such a fashion as yours.
Perhaps why Miesian architecture has such appeal also.
The glazing is equally fine. The purple I think works the best of all the colours :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby alan d » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:43 am

what a pleasant surprise, thanks lads.

The Scottish Parliament has some strong opposition though for the Stirling, looking at the list posted by Trace.

Not the shoo- in most people are predicting. The Foster projects look pretty damn impressive and I think also it may be time for Hadid?

In fact a very strong shortlist for the Stirling, indeed....more than previous years
alan d

Postby modular man » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:08 pm

Which of the Foster buildings is shortlisted?
Im very impressed with the building by 3XNielsen
http://www.architecture.com/go/Architecture/Also/Awards_4641.html
modular man

Return to World Architecture