well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby dave123 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:56 pm

picture from limerickpost... skyscraper
Attachments
homepage01.jpg
homepage01.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:00 pm

Dunnes stores on Henry street , i like this building as its seems to fit in very well on henry street , even with all the new red brick buildings that limerick is famous for...
Attachments
tnLimerick-0008.jpg
tnLimerick-0008.jpg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
dave123

Postby Devin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:42 am

Tuborg wrote: Im fairly new to this site but i've been reading it with interest for a good while and what struck me was the general lack of any news of all the potentially exciting developments that are planned for limerick,......i think its about time limerick got in on the act
Thanks for that & the pictures. Even though I'm from Dublin, I'm interested in all the Irish cities and I'd certainly like to hear & see more about Limerick on this forum!
Devin
Old Master

Postby dave123 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:10 pm

The Parkway roundabout will be improved bit by bit with a few slip roads and will take years to finish! doubt it will will it be a proper grade separate jct. they will have to build tunnels for pedrestrains to get to the shopping centre at least.
the old parkway site would be very suiteable for a train and bus as the train line passes by and other main bus routes to and from Dublin , Castletroy , Childers and UL etc....
picture of roches stores
any comments , A prime city centre site ?

O'connells street/ cruises st jct.
Attachments
tnLimerick-0032.jpg
tnLimerick-0032.jpg (12.66 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
tnLimerick-0024.jpg
tnLimerick-0024.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
dave123

Postby dave123 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:28 pm

picture of Arthurs Quay SC. facing onto O'Connells street , it should really be invested as its 1 of the only SC. centres in the city centre.
Attachments
tnLimerick-0027.jpg
tnLimerick-0027.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
dave123

Postby Tuborg » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:28 pm

I think the problem with the parkway roundabout is the fact that it is a very tricky site with little or no scope for major improvements,as it is bordered on all sides by developments such as the parkway sc,the parkway retail park and numerous houses,its obvious that any worthwhile improvements would mean major upheaval in the area,surely some of the smaller buildings on the rebogue road side would have to be demolished,even if the unthinkable happened and a flyover was to be built,it would mean the realignment of at least half a kilometre of the dublin road to allow it to pass over the present junction and i just wonder how costly that would be.I dont think we'll see the real benefit of the southern ring until the last section and the tunnel are built,if we're lucky work will start late in the year,although early 2006 is a more realistic date.

just on another note i came across some old pictures of limerick lately and a very interesting building caught my eye,i think it was called cannocks,i know that this is where penneys is now,.Why was this building demolished?,does anyone have any ideas,what a shame that this building was lost,it seems a really beautiful building,am i right in thinking the building beside it is the present day roches stores?,Im fairly young so im only familiar with penneys current monstrosity,what a terrible shame this building isnt around now,it would really add to the city centres character,i also have an old photo of o connell street before todds fire,this was another fine building and when you see what they replaced it with it just makes it all the sadder!

i think this picture was taken in the 1940s
Attachments
Cannocks_and_McBriney's.jpg
Cannocks_and_McBriney's.jpg (175.66 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
Tuborg

Postby GrahamH » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:03 pm

Wow - what an impressive collection of buildings, were they all demolished?

Sorry Dave, what building is this that you posted - it can get a bit difficult at times to associate all the buildings mentioned with the pics posted:

http://www.archiseek.com/content/attachment.php?attachmentid=786
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:21 am

This is the part of o connell street from the sarsfield street junction to the beginning of patrick street,it is hard to tell if the first building is roches stores,not sure how long roches have been in limerick but it certainly looks a similar building in that it is the same shape as the present building,anyone who has been inside will acknowledge that it is quite an old store,apparently a large part of it had to be renovated in the 60s to install lifts and escalators.One things is for sure :the railings on the rooftop have been removed and todays roches stores does not have as many windows,plus it is now painted cream,my guess is that it is the same building,as for the rest of them they have long since disappeared,the building sandwiched between roches and cannocks is gone and replaced with an exceptionally dull structure of roughly the same size that used to be an aer lingus travel shop and is now another part of roches stores,to thr right of cannocks is where burger king now stands and the building at the far end of the photo is where the entrance to arthurs quay sc now lies.

PS it has been said that cannocks was badly damaged in the civil war as it was the taken over by the local branch of irish volunteers!,does anyone know if this is true?
Tuborg

Postby dave123 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:51 am

it is the riverpoint building
Graham,

it s sad that those buildings are gone ,
it really goes to show of how impressive O'Connells street was in the past!

i sent a pic of the existing Roches stores at the beginning of this page to,
in my view not a very interesting building! compared to the old picture of the same building..

the first pic i sent is identical to the old one that you sen Turborg ! but you couldnt compare the existing to the old!! as the old has character!!
second one is howleys quay (apartements faceing onto the shannon would'nt mind having one there )

the third one is the most awful looking Dunnes stores building in the state of ireland,
never mention the fact its in a major urban centre and it wouldnt acceptable to have a Dunnes like it in our capital city
really should be named and shamed!!!!
its one of the first building you see coming from the sarfields bridge going downtown.
anybody agree ? that this building is utter crap for Dunnes ?
Attachments
tnLimerick-0048.jpg
tnLimerick-0048.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
tnLimerick-0011.jpg
tnLimerick-0011.jpg (12.64 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
tnLimerick-0025.jpg
tnLimerick-0025.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Turborg , do you know anything about newtown house development on Henry street , i came across on some site , can;t find it.... there were plans for 8 storey building all apartements
not sure of the rest......

By the pic of Dunnes stores is on the left on third pic i posted...... in case anyone dosn't know .
dave123

Postby jimg » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Beautiful picture of Cannocks, Tuborg. Where did you get it? I have a vague memory of Cannocks. It must have been knocked 20 or 25 years ago. It was a department store, I think, but my memory of it is very hazy. I think it was less "up-market" than the other nearby dempartment store, Todd's (now BT), across the road. I don't ever remember seeing the building to the right of Cannocks. I think that was a derelict/empty site for years. It's also a great shame to be reminded of what was there before the Author's Quay development. I remember that building too; I think it was occupied by a big jeweler. That whole stretch of Limerick has been destroyed in the last 30 years. Cannock's is gone, most of the Georgians where Author's Quay is were knocked as was Cruises Hotel.
jimg

Postby Tuborg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:17 am

Ya i mean the more you look at those buildings,the more angry you get,how could these buildings(especially the cannocks one) be allowed to be pulled down,it was an absolute disgrace,i think that in cannocks case it was decided that it would be cheaper to demolish it and build a new one in its place than to restore the original,how tragic when you consider the heap of s**t that was built in its place.I have a few more photos aswell(found em on some site couple of years ago,cant remember which one!).Another fine building to be lost was the old todds store,it was destroyed by a huge fire in 1959,apparently a huge section of o connell street and william street were at risk before it was finally brought under control,now we know why this section of o connell and wiliam street is so shabby,horrible 60s architecture,roches stores was also destroyed by a fire in 1948.Its such a pity that so much of o connell street was lost,imagine if all those buildings were still intact now!,how good would this part of the city centre look today!,o connell street has really gone down the pan in recent years and the city council seem to be taking for ages to do anything about it,brown thomas should at least be made do something with the front of their building,its unbelievably ugly.Hopefully the new department store on the george site will have some character.

I've included another pic of o connell street,again not sure about the date,the quality isnt great but then again it is at least 50 years old,the second is an old postcard,it gives a good idea of what todds looked like!.

I dunno dave,isnt newtown house the one behind the riverpoint building?
Attachments
Wm Todd.jpg
Wm Todd.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
O'Connell_Street.jpg
O'Connell_Street.jpg (234.15 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Tuborg

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:52 am

is the Ryan hotel going ahead
there are a numerous number of neew hotels on the pipeline for limerick as there is a major boom in hotel occupancy etc..
is it going ahead it was on appeals in the planning section on the irish times the other day.
anyway he
PLANS for three major Limerick developments worth a combined €200m have received contrasting decisions from the the city council.

Former Irish rugby coach Pat Whelan has been refused permission to build 94 apartments and a mixed tourism, recreational and commercial development on the site of the former Limerick Ryan Hotel. In contrast the council has given the green light to Galway developer John Lally, for a redevelopment of the nearby former Jurys Doyle Hotel with views of the River Shannon at O'Callaghan's Strand.

Mr Lally's company, Damesfield Ltd, plans to build a €75m hotel and conference centre as well as 157 apartments on the site which he bought early last year for €9.75m.

However local residents have appealed this decision to An Bord Pleanala, and Mr Whelan's company Budelli has also appealed the refusal for its project.

Meanwhile on the eastern side of the river, the council has also signalled the green light for a third project involving 95 apartments, 14 shops as well as a 100 bedroom hotel. Fordmount Developments Ltd, of which the directors are John Shee, Michael Barker and Michael Daly, are seeking to build the project on the site which centres on the former Savoy Cinema Complex with frontage onto Henry Street and Bedford Row.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:52 am

picture of a new development on upper williams street.
Attachments
newtownm.jpg
newtownm.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
dave123

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:00 am

few more city centre dev.
Attachments
broadl~1.jpg
broadl~1.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
fishermn.jpg
fishermn.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
city campus lord edward st.jpg
city campus lord edward st.jpg (13.56 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
mahon hse mulgrave st.jpg
mahon hse mulgrave st.jpg (13.56 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
dave123

Postby jimg » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:28 pm

Nothing too interesting there, dave123, except the varying degrees of uglyness.
jimg

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:32 pm

maybe, but i cant find decent buildings that are up for dev.
apart from teh windmill dev.
have you any news for limerick?
dave123

Postby PVC King » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:34 pm

All of those developments are particularly devoid of design quality which is a pity as Limerick more so than most places has the potential to be a fantastic urban space, virtually no other City I know has such a logical street pattern.
PVC King

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 pm

a few more , i like barringtons hse because its an original building
Attachments
taits courner.jpg
taits courner.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
1156t.jpg
1156t.jpg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
barrington hse.jpg
barrington hse.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
strange building.jpg
strange building.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
dave123

Postby jimg » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:27 pm

That's a bit better. Any more details on the Barrington's development? I know where the Tait's building is, where are the other two?
jimg

Postby PVC King » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:30 pm

Barrington House is very well done, do you know who were the design team?
PVC King

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:40 pm

the strange building is on the abbey river bridge ( north ring road)
the massive building is near williams street i think,
il check the barrington design team soon.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:55 pm

Prestigious six-storey development at Barrington House

DTZ Sherry Fitzgerald have been appointed sole agents for a new development known as Barrington House.

Barrington House is a prestigious new six-storey block comprising bar/restaurant at ground and first floor level together with overhead office accommodation.

The building is constructed to the highest specification which incorporates an attractive stone facade.

Said Mr Cusack: "The innovative design provides for maximum natural light and avails of the attractive river views."

The bar/restaurant is accessed from street level and the office accommodation is accessed via a separate entrance lobby, which benefits from a passenger lift.

Barrington House is located adjacent to Barrington's Hospital and Limerick Art College and has unrestricted views over the Abbey River.

Location offers ease if access to and from the city and there is a wide range of multi-storey car parks in the immediate vicinity.

In addition, the area is tax-designated under the 1999 urban renewal scheme and there are valuable capital allowances available for qualifying purchasers.

Note that the surrounding area is in mixed commercial use and includes a substantial number of large office developments together with a host of restaurants, bars and night-clubs.

The bar/restaurant is available for sale or to let in one lot and the offices on a floor by floor basis. DTZ say that the accommodation will be finished to a shell and core specification;however, quotations for a fit-out can be provided upon receipt of a details specification.

It is expected that the project will be available for occupation in Spring.
contact John Buckely 061 418111
you can see more information on sherryfitz.ie
its also part of the urban renewel 1999.
there is another property site on this development and i will be back with further information.
dave123

Postby PVC King » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm sure DTZ will have no trouble securing a tenant that edge of the Island is very central and its setting is of a very high standard between the river and the former Hospital that closed in 1987. It was a tough brief to design around but from the picture shown the designers got it spot on.
PVC King

Postby modular man » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:12 pm

dave123 wrote:a few more , i like barringtons hse because its an original building

Where in Limerick in the project with the photo title 'strange building'?
modular man

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland