d'illuminations of glasgae - bright lights big city

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Re: d'illuminations of glasgae - bright lights big city

Postby alan d » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:09 am

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, simple minds, the "S" word.

We're starting the campaign ........Sustainability: Just Say No
alan d

Postby simple minds » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:46 am

Not sure if Mr Murray would support you on that one.....never mind, I'm sure your special needs school will make up for that...looks excellent and quite green!
simple minds

Postby sw101 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:32 pm

simple minds wrote:another glass box, if you ask me...guess sustainability is not on the agenda ALan?

are yuo asserting that this building is unsustainable based on the fact that it has glass on the facade?
sw101

Postby simple minds » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:40 am

well, sort of, sw101 - it is clear that anything over 50% glazed elevations (on south, east and west elevations) can lead to the production of excessive carbon emissions and beyond that considered acceptable within the Governments White Paper on Energy, which is why we have the 'carbon emissions' method in Part L calculations - this is not really sustainable, unless one is slightly more creative with the facade design, such as external shading, ventilated facades and the like. For me, good architecture responds coherently to the environment and should not be an egotistical concept, which is latterly justified by wooly arguments on energy and performance....take the gherkin for example, interesting building, but in no way low energy, nor sustainable, yet the architect continues to use this argument in all press releases on the job!
simple minds

Postby PVC King » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:46 am

simple minds wrote:well, sort of, sw101 - it is clear that anything over 50% glazed elevations (on south, east and west elevations) can lead to the production of excessive carbon emissions and beyond that considered acceptable within the Governments White Paper on Energy, which is why we have the 'carbon emissions' method in Part L calculations - this is not really sustainable, unless one is slightly more creative with the facade design, such as external shading, ventilated facades and the like. For me, good architecture responds coherently to the environment and should not be an egotistical concept, which is latterly justified by wooly arguments on energy and performance....take the gherkin for example, interesting building, but in no way low energy, nor sustainable, yet the architect continues to use this argument in all press releases on the job!

Easy enough to disprove if you know what materials were used, but the Gherkin hasn't worked well from a financial point of view there is still a lot of it available. Did you incorporate any eco-freindly services into the project? I am also intruiged as to the origin of the project, was it built for an occupier or was it speculatively developed?

What ever about the context (materials and origin) it is a great standalone piece of architecture, no more Amsterdam for one or blokes I know!!!
PVC King

Postby alan d » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:05 am

well I agree simple minds the gherkins sustainability credentials are a bit wooly but what a great piece of architecture which has enlivened it's location. For once I was encouraged to visit London simply to see it, can't think of the last time that happened.

For our part, and to answer your question Thomond, the building is a speculative building for a commercial client, which has reinvigorated a pretty run down section of town and therefor extended the commercial boundary of the city of Glasgow which is good for us, good for our clients and good for the city itself, so has I would argue responded directly to the challenges of it's location and improved upon it.

Our experience is that if you lead your pitch with sustainabilty issues when dealing with corporate clients , well you'll be doing kitchen extensions for the rest of your life.

The building has solar control devices on the glass facade, sun screens and fritting to control the light and where possible we have used materials from sustainable resources .
alan d

Postby modular man » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Did the lighting have a major impact on the budget? Did the client need to be persuaded to pay extra? It is always interesting when commercial clients show a willingness to commision buildings like this. I get the impression it happens more often in the UK then in Ireland
modular man

Postby alan d » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:08 pm

No not really, it was more expensive than not having it obviously but nothing in comparison to the interest that's been shown in the building as a consequence.

We're fortunate to attract a certain kind of speculative developer, the single figurehead with own company who is willing to take a chance because that's why they formed their own company in the first place and who also is interested in architecture.

The majority of the bland commercial stuff is done by the faceless managers at the property section of the big financial instututions .

It's the letting agents that give us most problems, whose response usually is the more architectural awards a building wins the more difficult it is to let
alan d

Postby phil » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:24 pm

alan d wrote: well I agree simple minds the gherkins sustainability credentials are a bit wooly but what a great piece of architecture which has enlivened it's location. For once I was encouraged to visit London simply to see it, can't think of the last time that happened.

It really does redefine the skyline of London, doesn't it? It is great to use it as a landmark, and walk towards it until right up next to it. I think it works well beside that 'Miesian' block across the road from it. Did you manage to read any of the stuff on the surrounding benches? It is really taking the micky in big way.
phil
Old Master

Postby simple minds » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:00 pm

Okay TP and AD, I do think it is certainly a landmark, but take some of the work by Rab Bennett, this has a much more sypathetic approach to low energy and sustainability, but off course, not necessarily so iconic. I'd rather design, live and work in a Bennetts building than a building which looks goods, but is stuffed full of air conditioning and disrespects the environment!
simple minds

Postby alan d » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:49 pm

woaaaaaa simple minds, disrespects the environment , eh ? bit strong......................... we've designed an office with a cantilevered glass front and new feature lighting, not an incinerator to get rid of old rubber tyres
alan d

Postby simple minds » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:28 am

I was really talking about the gherkin, not your light palace, so don't get too up tight. Did you consider natural ventilation on your scheme by the way, or simply adopted the systems engineering approach for the indoor climate?
simple minds

Postby alan d » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:35 pm

Just because I've got a high voice , twitch and a slight facial tick, simple minds don't make the mistake of thinking I'm UPTIGHT.

The solution we adopt in all thing is what the client requires...........finding that's really what keeps us in business, fed, kids clothed and mortgage paid .

I'll try it differently next time and let you know how I get on
alan d

Postby simple minds » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:29 am

Oh well Alan, look forward to your new venture....see you have some competition in Glasgae with Zaha and Norman making new creations, one day perhaps we'll see a Glasgae architect doing an icon!
simple minds

Postby Plug » Mon May 23, 2005 4:52 pm

I love it, give me a job !
Plug

Postby Plug » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:44 pm

well that stopped that topic dead in its tracks !
But I'm serious, gimme a job, I'm brilliant.
Plug

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:57 pm

If Alan gives you a job, 10% of your pay before tax is due to Archiseek.com as a finders fee
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:02 pm

sorry Plug I did read your posting and even mentioned it to Paul, made me smile. I've even looked at your website....interesting stuff.

We ain't got an opening at this moment for an innovative lighting designer , Sentinel was a one off. If we ever get a job in Ireland , though fuck knows why we'd want to try again, I'll be in touch......promise
alan d

Postby Plug » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:19 pm

If alan gives me a job you're more than welcome to 10% paul, in fact if anyone gives me a damn job you can have it.

Thank you Alan, glad you liked the site. just bare in mind I have a thing for flourescent tubes ;)

any word on how it's going to be controlled, as in is it all going to change colour as one, or individual blocks/windows. The potential to do something beautiful is definately there.
Plug

Postby alan d » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:41 am

It changes colour completely over the whole building at the same time, on a set colour spectrum and is controlled by computer. The LED'S are set in the soffit recess on the ceiling above plug.

We had discounted the idea of single colour on each floor plate thinking it would look like vegetable soup but when we tried it during the first test it looked great, so we'll see
alan d

Postby Plug » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:41 pm

you could do a lovely rainbow scroll/cross fade up and down the building. My mouths watering just thinking about it :)
Plug

Postby alan d » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:37 pm

Interesting idea Plug. We thought Pink during the Glasgay Festival, Red During the Festival of Love, Green and White when Celtic win the European Cup next year. Green White and Gold during St Pats, Blue and white on St Andrews .

Endless possibilities really
alan d

Postby Plug » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:29 pm

that's the beauty of LEDs, if you had control of individual windows you could do a cross of saint george on st georges day, dunno how popular it would be though. :)

all good Ideas, I've got a list somewhere of the different colours the Empire State building is lit to celebrate particular high days and holidays

As a complete flight of fancy I've always wanted to rig up an office block so individual and blocks of light s come on in a sequence through the night but at a speed so it looks like a time lapse film of an office block coming to life, if you know what I mean.
Plug

Previous

Return to World Architecture