Bridges & Boardwalks

Re: Bridges & Boardwalks

Postby Rusty Cogs » Tue May 31, 2005 1:00 pm

Well to be honest, I think our usual set of indigenous daytime drinkers has been bolstered by some of our more 'al fresco' drinkers from far off lands. I was over in Moscow a couple of years back and surprised to see how many people drink in the streets. There were many kiosks around the city where you could buy alcohol and happily drink your way around the city. It appears that some of this attitude has made it over here and I observed a number of different groups who were essentially spending the afternoon getting pissed and using the Liffey as a bin as they went. Surely Gardai could encompass the boardwalks on their patrols to attempt to curb this (illegal) activity ?
Rusty Cogs

Postby Andrew Duffy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:20 am

What are Dublin City Council's bye laws on drinking outside? It's prohibited in public parks, and the Port Company and Dublin Bus both have bye laws prohibiting it, but I don't think the boardwalk is a park or part of the port. Is there a bye-law preventing drinking near the liffey quays left over from when they were working docks?
Andrew Duffy

Postby PVC King » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:22 am

Its a Garda matter, should that not be enough?
PVC King

Postby Gaudi » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:22 am

Besides the public drinking I don't think the Gardai are short of reasons to get involved: Possession of drugs, openly taking of drugs in public place, intoxication/drunkeness, intimidation of passers-by, litter offences/dumping of rubbish in to river etc etc In fact last week on the boardwalk I saw girl strapping the arm of a male friend and injecting directly in front of an onlooking toddler!!

Disgrace.
Gaudi

Postby PVC King » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:19 pm

Dublin City Council have hit a new low in terms of sneaky tactics.

The notice seeking observations on the part extinguishement of the right of way at Grattan Bridge has been erected and dated as of 19th of June 2005 ie a sunday. Observations must be made by July 20th.
PVC King

Postby phil » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Thomond Park wrote:Dublin City Council have hit a new low in terms of sneaky tactics.

The notice seeking observations on the part extinguishement of the right of way at Grattan Bridge has been erected and dated as of 19th of June 2005 ie a sunday. Observations must be made by July 20th.

What are they planning on doing? Do you know exactly how they are planning on altering the right of way?

Thanks

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:20 am

phil wrote:What are they planning on doing? Do you know exactly how they are planning on altering the right of way?

Thanks

Phil

Phil,

it is entirely retrospective
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:31 am

Thomond Park wrote:Phil,

it is entirely retrospective

Devin informs that the above quote is inadequate to explain the point I was making; apologies phil I can be a little quasi-legal at times

The point is that DCC are applying to extinguish a right of way accross (Henry) Grattan('s) bridge that has stood since 1876 in its present form as a wide user freindly point of crossing the Liffey and has historically been the most easterly crossing point for most of the City's existance for a good period back to 1676 as Essex bridge and earlier maps have indicated that it was an important fording point for the City at low tide which is still eveidenced today by the number of shopping trolleys and traffic cones visible at low tide at this point.

The fact is that Gilroy McMahon got this very badly wrong if unit occupancy levels and archiseek polls are any guide and that DCC never applied for planning permission for commercial space as they were legally required to do and that they never even bothered to put a notice in the paper askiong for affected parties and or interested parties and or proscribed bodies to comment on what constituted a significant change to one of the city's major historical bridges.

I will be making the trip to Sean McDermott St to inspect the file and as this is retrospective I already know what I want to say, it will be a speculative trip to see if I can find any more technical defects in what has been to date a very flawed process.
PVC King

Grattan Bridge - A Recent History

Postby Devin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:10 am

1999 - Nice but in need of some TLC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2000 - Painted for the Millenium - & refurbishment work has begun on the east side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2003 - Ok that's grand...just leave it like that now and everything'll be fine......and there'll be enough room for everyone...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2005 - Nnoooooo!!
Devin
Old Master

Postby Ciaran » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:22 am

there are more obstacles there than on a pinball machine!
Ciaran

Postby StephenC » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:59 am

Wow Devin, those pictures just say it all. Perhaps you should forward them to Dick Gleeson since 'connectivity' is one of his big themes. I wonder what happened to the cast iron bollards shown on the prerenovated bridge. This photo also gives a good idea of how much improved the City Hall is after its cleanup. And what on earth was Grattan Buildings thinking of with that red paint job! Ugggh!

TP did you in the end inspect the file extinguishing the right of way? Im sure the original scheme was displayed by the CC which would have included the kiosks. The original scheme also included a viewing platform of some sort on the west side of the bridge...not sure what you would view.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:38 am

Those pictures are fantastic Devin - allbeit for the wrong reasons!
The present day situation is unbelieveable!

What's a bit evident there and has annoyed me since the kiosks went in is the dead space between them - completely useless, and a shameful waste of valuable pedestrian walkway.
Also the foot wide length of pavement to the rear of them next to the road is just wide enough to tempt the odd pedestrian to put themselves in harm's way.

Even if the kiosks weren't there, does a drainage channel really have to go right in the middle of the pavement?
This is a practice that really irritates me, and is the one criticism I'd also have of the O'Connell St paving which has recieved similar treatment.
You splash into it in winter, and trip over it in summer, and it looks unpleasant too.
In this case surely it would have been simple to slope the paving either to the river side or down to the roadway where a decent storm drain could be installed?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:07 am

I overheard some British tourists nattering away to each other and one of them says 'What a fn eyes sore those mate!" pointing at the Kiosks on the bridge :(
Morlan

Postby Devin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:18 am

StephenC wrote:I wonder what happened to the cast iron bollards shown on the prerenovated bridge.
I was hoping the little cast iron bollards with ‘corinthian’ tops would be incorporated in the scheme (I wonder where they are now?).
Also, the historic granite kerbstones that you can see in the 1999 & 2000 photos above were to be reused in the scheme, according to the Part X planning application, but this didn’t happen in the end. If you asked I suppose they would tell you it “proved unfeasible” or something :rolleyes: .

Leaving aside the fact that the kiosks destroy the space, are ugly and should be removed (and are quite possibly also a commercial failure, as only one or two of them ever seem to be open), the lack of coordination between the the kiosks and the seating is stunning. Like, what on earth were the CC thinking??! It is as if two different schemes for the bridge were carried out without one knowing about the other!

If you stand there for a few minutes, all you see is people cringing as they try to get past each other. And nobody uses the seats (why would they?):

Devin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:00 pm

The sad thing is that the seats were used before the kiosks landed...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:39 pm

...whereas now they have no view, are sited in the shade, and have pedestrians mushing past on busy afternoons.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:30 am

These kiosks are now turning into a disaster. Walked by them on Saturday afternoon. From north to south -

Kiosk 1: A newsagent - the very type of retailer that the project was to avoid. The canopy of this kiosk has broken and has been clumsily repaired with sticky tape. Like all the other kiosks it needs to be tied down to the bench opposite.

Kiosk 2: A florist - closed. If it cant open on the last bank holiday weekend of summer then when.

Kiosk 3: A gallery - closed. Moving to new premises according to the handwritten sign.

Kiosk 4: Unlet - closed. Luckily this kiosk has fopund a new role in advertising canopies. A nice new red one with the manufacturers detals has been attached. Still at least it offers some colour to these otherwise drab and ugly mistakes.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Alek Smart » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:00 am

A mute testimony to a City Council made up largely of well meaning elected officials who are dictated to and overruled by a coterie of phillistinic self important professionals.
Remember this is mere metres from the historic seat of Civic Governance in Dublin and of course within stone throwing distance of that other great City Council Monument to the Primacy of the Professionals...Civic Offices a structure of such monumental inappropriateness that No Name could be found for it !
What is Civic Offices today......A Fitting Headquarters for a highly regarded and astute City Council..OR a means of covering up a very respectable and valuable centre city underground car park and creche for the members of the Duma..?
It really is difficult to find ANYthing positive to say about this gang of incompetents......!
Devin talks about two different schemes being superimposed on the Bridge independent of each other...Too bloody right.....remember each floor of Civic Offices represents a different planet within the entire shaky edifice
Alek Smart

Postby Bill McH » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:07 pm

(I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the O'Connell Street thread and I'm too lazy to wade through all the posts since March this year to find out! Haven't seen it mentioned on this one though).

I think it is a pity that it is so difficult to travel between the Bachelor's Walk stretch of the boardwalk and the Eden Quay section. Going West to East, there are pedestrian lights which can allow you to walk from the Bachelor's Walk section across to the island in the middle of O'Connell Bridge, but to get to the Eden Quay bit (without jaywalking) you need to walk towards D'Olier Street and cross at the lights at the other end of the bridge, before returning to Eden Quay. Or you could cross Bachelor's Walk, cross O'Connell Street at the O'Connell Monument and then cross back over Eden Quay to the boardwalk.

I know there's lots of traffic along the quays and on the bridge itself, so it might be difficult to arrange pedestrian lights the whole way across the bridge at the O'Connell Street end of the bridge. Maybe when the port tunnel opens...
Bill McH

Postby GrahamH » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Yes a good point - O'Connell Bridge has always been a nightmare for pedestrians in this respect.
It has improved a bit recently with the tweaking of sequencing, but there's not much to be improved with this method if lights don't exist in the first place, as you mention Bill on the Eden Quay side of the bridge!

Could be very tricky though to accommodate so many streams of traffic, pedestrian and vechicular with such an array of lights...

Coming from the Westmoreland St island lights down the bridge median to the lights at O'Cll Mon has improved recently, providing you run down the length of the bridge that is...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:32 pm

GRATTAN BRIDGE KIOSK IN PVC SHOCK

Yes, it's true. A PVC sliding door has just been fitted to one of the kiosks (a blinds shop). Sorry to be negative but nothing is going right about these kiosks, is it? On the positive side, at least we were spared Georgian glazing strips.
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:30 am

And did the City Council really envisage one of the kisoks, i.e. that above, selling blinds?!
A kiosk selling blinds in the middle of the Liffey on a windswept bridge?!

Talk about the blind leading the blind :)
You can just see the Pythonesque scene of the seller saying, "oh hang on a second there, I'll just have a check out the back".....

(out of nothing but childish curiousity, where to the traders go to the toilet?)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:41 am

A blind shop? really?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:47 am

All kinds - frilly ones, Venetian ones, Roman ones, naff kitchen ones with the brass bar through the base :) - you name it they've got it.
Just the miniature samples are something of a drawback :rolleyes:
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:17 pm

These kiosks really are turning into a bad joke. The above has patio door and a replcement awning advertising its wares, the two centre ones (a gallery and flower shop) are rarely open and covered in tacky stickers and the last one - little more than a confectionary and newspaper stand - has a broken awning that no seems interested in repairing. I think they are all crap. Useless, ugly intrusion on the bridge. I think they should be removed and perhaps converted into ticket stalls for Ticketmaster or transport and located strategically around the city. A competely failed project. Lets hope that the kiosks planned for OConnell Street have benefitted from a little more planning.
StephenC
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland