How about Italia???

World architecture... what's happening generally....

How about Italia???

Postby genario » Thu May 12, 2005 3:28 pm

i have not seen any talks on architecture of Italy, my home. I am living in cork for 6 months and miss home very much, maybe you can talk about the many beuatiful buildings of Italy? Classic and new buildings.
genario

Re: How about Italia???

Postby Hugh » Thu May 12, 2005 4:33 pm

You've got Renzo Piano, who else do you need?

Interesting though that at the last 2 Venice architecture Biennales there has been a conspicuous absence of new talent coming through in Italy. The old guard seems to be still in charge.

Oh, and Rome Central Station - brilliant.
Hugh

Postby genario » Thu May 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Yes but Renzo is only one.

in Torino (Turin, my home) we have a beautiful new building proposed for Regione Piemonte with design by Massimiliano Fuksas (of Wien 'twin towers' in Austria and Nuovo Polo di Fiera Milano). the design is of 110 metres, the Palazzo della Regione Piemonte. It is a new symbol of Turin for the future.

genario

Postby Boyler » Thu May 12, 2005 9:26 pm

What do you think of Cork genario?
Boyler

Postby genario » Fri May 13, 2005 8:50 pm

I have been only in Cork for 3 months now and i find it most beautiful but also most unusual. its geography is unique and many lovely buildings is found such as the buildings of the past waterways on the South Mall and Patrick street. it makes me belive of Venice but no more. Of modern buildings I like the new gallery at the university and plans of the new office building for kennys(???) is most beautiful. but many buildings must have to be refurbished and in the quays i wish to see many new and exciting designs. I would believe Cork to become a most beautiful city for modern architecture. it must keep push push pushing for the best. i have also been to Dublin and Limereck, Waterford and Galway for visits at the weekend. these cities all have many nice buildings - but the geography of Cork is most special. it has a beautiful countryside. what do you believe?
genario

Postby Boyler » Sat May 28, 2005 6:12 pm

I would say that the main reason that there aren't many talks on Italian architecture is that everyone knows how much more beautiful it is compared to most countries'. I would find it very flattering if most of Europe designed their buildings to look like Ireland's buildings.
Boyler

Postby genario » Sat May 28, 2005 10:04 pm

I am not so sure that I understand this but yes it would be nice. Much architecture of Italia is very good in the past but now days not so much. I do not like modern buildings like the Pirelli building in Milano. These are giving its architecture a bad name. I am happy now there is seems to be a new generation of design in Italy and it is most inspiring. I hope it continues.
genario

Postby Boyler » Mon May 30, 2005 7:44 pm

Is there any particular building, old or modern, that you admire in Ireland?
Boyler

Postby genario » Tue May 31, 2005 5:14 pm

Boyler wrote:Is there any particular building, old or modern, that you admire in Ireland?

There are many buildings I like in Ireland. But because I live now only in Cork I only know these buildings better. In Cork I like St. Finbars Cathedral but also Brown Thomas on Saint Patricks Street and the Crawford gallery. Of new - the most buildings I like are not yet completed.

In Dublin I love Custom House and Government Buildings.
genario

Postby Boyler » Tue May 31, 2005 6:58 pm

The Custom House and Government Buildings are nice. Have you seen the Rock of Cashel yet?
Boyler

Return to World Architecture