Cork Architectural Firm Award: Best City Skyline Contribution

Cork Architectural Firm Award: Best City Skyline Contribution

Postby lexington » Fri May 27, 2005 12:21 pm

I believe, given the current development climate in the city, it would be a positive step to encourage architectural practices active in Cork to continue producing excellent standards of design throughout the city in its regeneration. A few designs of late have been of a high-quality BUT we need and must continue to keep pushing the bar higher and higher.

Obviously each firm will be subject to variables - such as budget, time, requirements, site shape/size etc etc, but good practice will maximise architectural capacity given such constraints. Considering this, I propose a bi-annual 'vote' by interested parties to determine and award the firm believed to Best Contribute to the Cork Skyline/Regeneration.

Each term, 5 practices will be nominated for designs in planning, under construction or recently completed - a vote will open for 2 weeks - and, at the end of those 2 weeks, a winner and runner-up will be determined by the users of Archiseek (a collective of those with architectural and development interest; engineers; developers; architects; surveyors; planners and so on - believe me, there are quite a few). The outcome will reflect the opinion of these persons (aforementioned) with respect to whom the believe they deserve the title.

Firms cannot be considered each seperate term for buildings included in the prior nominations list - that is, the list that follows this term, cannot be included in the next, and must be based upon new designs which have surfaced in planning, begun construction or completion with the designated term period.

I would hope that in each term, we may reapproach this thread to vote on the next nominations. I am also hoping that the vote is afforded a proper poll - but obviously that is subject to the powers that be (it has been requested).
lexington
Old Master

Re: Cork Architectural Firm Award: Best City Skyline Contribution

Postby lexington » Fri May 27, 2005 12:30 pm

PERIOD ONE: December 2004 - May 2005

1. Please indicate your preference by what you genuinely believe to be the firm which has BEST contributed to the Cork Skyline within this term, mentioned above.

2. You are kindly requested to vote only once, in the interests of fairness.

3. List your preference with a single Number or Practice Name (1 only - that which you believe to be the best. No need to list in order of preference).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nominated Firms

1. Wilson Architecture

- projects at Eglinton Street (O'Flynn Construction)

and St. Patrick's Quay (The Kenny Group)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Murray O'Laoire

- for Water Street (Werdna Developments)

and Centre Park Road (McCarthy Developments)

[Image Coming Soon]

3. Coughlan de Keyser

- for No.5 & No.6 Lapps Quay (O'Flynn Construction)

and Centre Point (Clontarf Street - for DAT Partnerships)

4. Patrick A. Cashman & Associates

- for 21 Lavitts Quay (O'Callaghan Properties)

5. Scott Tallon Walker

for City Quarter (Howard Holdings)

and WebWorks (also Howard Holdings)

Existing Images unsuitable (but available at request) - better images soon!
lexington
Old Master

Postby pier39 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:16 pm

oooo! thats a tough one but what the hell...

i suppose...

....1. wilson architects.

ahh thats my job done!
pier39

Postby Radioactiveman » Fri May 27, 2005 4:20 pm

4. Patrick A. Cashman & Associates

- for 21 Lavitts Quay (O'Callaghan Properties)

Has to be this one. OCP HQ has transformed Lavitts Quay already.
Radioactiveman

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri May 27, 2005 4:32 pm

Lex,
should this not be constricted to *completed* project only? From what I know about e.g. Wilson's projects they deserve some recognition, but neither project has even cleared the planning process let alone begun construction. Sometimes things don't impress in the flesh quite the way they do in photmontages.
d_d_dallas

Postby lexington » Fri May 27, 2005 8:26 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:Lex,
should this not be constricted to *completed* project only? From what I know about e.g. Wilson's projects they deserve some recognition, but neither project has even cleared the planning process let alone begun construction. Sometimes things don't impress in the flesh quite the way they do in photmontages.

I agree that this is true, however, photomontage or no, the general design I think is the conveyable by these representations.
lexington
Old Master

Postby PTB » Sat May 28, 2005 12:16 am

Judging by those new photos I'd vote for wilson architechts But I'm surprised that Coughlan de Keyser got nominated for their pyschadelic pink and blue boxes
PTB

Postby ewankennedy » Sat May 28, 2005 12:43 pm

I'll probably go with Wilson architecture on this one, but that said, driving passed No.6 Lapps quay there earlier today I have to say i'm very impressed with it now that the scaffolding is coming down. That whole quay looks very well. So if there was a 2nd place it would go to Coughlan de keyser architects if you include the Clontarf st building too. But Radioactiveman is right about 21 Lavitts quay too - that building has enriched what was a ugly old quayside immeasurably! its very impressive I have to say. But Wilson snags it with Eglinton st and Patricks quay.
ewankennedy

Postby genario » Sat May 28, 2005 10:00 pm

This is a very difficult idea for me because I must think which firm is best shaping Cork for better ways of architecture. From the pictures I have looked at in this page i think that Wilson architects seem to be more 'adventurous' with their designs but Clontarf street and 21 Lavits Quay are also most interesting. This is very difficult, but may I say also Wilson.

What do you also think????
genario

Postby Jack White » Sat May 28, 2005 10:03 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:should this not be constricted to *completed* project only? From what I know about e.g. Wilson's projects they deserve some recognition, but neither project has even cleared the planning process let alone begun construction. Sometimes things don't impress in the flesh quite the way they do in photmontages.

Very wise words.
Jack White

Return to Ireland